2016-2017 Tacoma Recall

4runnerteq

Explorer
Torque to 18 ft lbs, hardly a "torque the crap out of them". Repair for leak, expected to be less than 1%, has not been communicated yet.

GetOutThere

Adventurer
Torque to 18 ft lbs, hardly a "torque the crap out of them". Repair for leak, expected to be less than 1%, has not been communicated yet.

To be fair, I read three articles and none specified anything except that they would "tighten the fasteners". Either that or I am legally blind. Can't tell since USA Today is garbage and won't let me re-open the article.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Well, to be fair, I am a service manager at a Toyota dealer. Check for leaks, if no leaks, torque to 18 ft lbs. If there is a leak we are to ground the vehicle until the remedy is made available. Fewer than 1% are expected to have a leak. We had three in stock vehicles completed today. No leaks. That, being said, how hard really can it be to come up with a remedy? You would be surprised. It all has to be submitted and approved by government. We waited over a year for a new spare tire hanger on Sienna vans a while back. Yes, a spare tire hanger.

crazysccrmd

Observer
Well, to be fair, I am a service manager at a Toyota dealer. Check for leaks, if no leaks, torque to 18 ft lbs. If there is a leak we are to ground the vehicle until the remedy is made available. Fewer than 1% are expected to have a leak. We had three in stock vehicles completed today. No leaks. That, being said, how hard really can it be to come up with a remedy? You would be surprised. It all has to be submitted and approved by government. We waited over a year for a new spare tire hanger on Sienna vans a while back. Yes, a spare tire hanger.

Did those three on the lot have any loose bolts when checked?

ElDude

Mine was leaking. Ironically enough this went out today and I had already scheduled to have it checked on Monday. I gave up on the truck though, traded for a 4runner. Mine may have been an outlier, it had vibrations below 20 mph which were getting worse, front clam shell bearing failed at 1500 miles, truck would intermittently shut off while driving (replaced the CPS for that, even though it was the updated part meant to fix that issue). Also the passenger door opened itself while driving twice, both were during a exceptionally cold winter. Finally I gave in when the diff started leaking and was making a faint whining noise at higher speeds. I'm still bummed because I really liked the truck.

4runnerteq

Explorer
Mine was leaking. Ironically enough this went out today and I had already scheduled to have it checked on Monday. I gave up on the truck though, traded for a 4runner. Mine may have been an outlier, it had vibrations below 20 mph which were getting worse, front clam shell bearing failed at 1500 miles, truck would intermittently shut off while driving (replaced the CPS for that, even though it was the updated part meant to fix that issue). Also the passenger door opened itself while driving twice, both were during a exceptionally cold winter. Finally I gave in when the diff started leaking and was making a faint whining noise at higher speeds. I'm still bummed because I really liked the truck.

Man. Sorry to hear all that. That stinks. Nothing worse than being disappointed with something you really like otherwise. Just leaves a bad taste from now on.

dman93

Adventurer
I read that 228K trucks are affected. But my VIN showed as not recalled. Have that already built that many Gen 3's that 228K is just part of the total? And if not all trucks are affected, does anyone know the differences, or is it just factory and date, which suggests process rather than design or part issue. Mine's a 2016 Baja-built truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles