Gen 3 front end rebuild

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
I bought this rebuild kit from Rock auto. http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=5734899&cc=1432571&jsn=8 Should I be changing out all of the bolts too? Or can I reuse 11 year old hardware? Also it comes with the ball joints in it already. These don't have grease fittings in them now. Do they need to be greased with a needle before installation? Or do they come prepacked with grease?

I'm doing all of this because my wheel bearing is howling like crazy so as long as I'm doing the wheel bearing I thought i'd refresh the whole front end. I know it's loose because when I back out of a parking space, turn the wheels and hit the brakes you can hear the tires rub and they don' unless I apply the brakes. I'm also doing new stabilizer bar links and bushings as well.

I've never heard of Mevotech but they receive a very strong rating on the web and on Rock Auto.

Any advice? things to look out for?

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
What are you going to do with the old arms? I'd like to rubush an old OEM set with our suspension kit.

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
At some point I think i'll try to do like a rebuild exchange program for you dudes.

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
I'll save them for you Toasty. PM me with an address and I'll shoot them to you. Anything I can do to further the USA made parts. I'll be looking at Gen 3 bash plates soon if those are on your radar.

coffeegoat

Adventurer
How would I know that I need to replace the bushings? I've got springs on my list (shocks/struts already in house) but I saw ADD has both front and rear bushing kits which seem like a good idea as well. I'm not clear on how to know if I need new ones.

plh

Explorer
You probably don't need the inner tie rod ends. They don't have a joint really and are really just a piece of threaded steel. Unless they are bent or something.

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
So I'm half way through and the first bit of advice is don't try to pull the ABS sensor out of the wheel hub. Just unplug it from behind the bumper. Mine broke and it's a very expensive sensor. The other issue I'm having is 3 of the lower control arm shafts came out easy, but the fourth is solidly frozen in. I'm ordering a new one from the dealer and I'm going to have to cut it out. I've soaked it in PB blaster and beat on it with a sledge. It's simply not moving at all.

Last edited:

Offroadmuch

Explorer
So I'm half way through and the first bit of advice is don't try to pull the ABS sensor out of the wheel hub. Just unplug it from behind the bumper. Mine broke and it's a very expensive sensor. The other issue I'm having is 3 of the lower control arm shafts came out easy, but the fourth is solidly frozen in. I'm ordering a new one from the dealer and I'm going to have to cut it out. I've soaked it in PB blaster and beat on it with a sledge. It's simply not moving at all.

If you haven't cut off the last control arm shaft try a mix of 50/50 automatic transmission fluid and acetone for a penetrating fluid. It is much better that PB. Mix it in glass or metal. It will eat plastic.

NH Moto Expo

Adventurer
I'll give that a try. It's going to be a pain to try to sawzall through that shaft. There isn't much room behind the bolt to get a full stroke from the saw. I wish I had a cutting torch to just blow through it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier