97 80 series to 2000 Taco Trd?

The_Dude

Adventurer
I have an 97 80 series with 165k on it. All paid off and built to my taste. I am curious about the slide in camper life. I may have a chance to get 2000 Taco with 156k 5spd stock for around 7k. I know the owner as he is a customer of mine and he has owned it for 6 plus years and been meticulous about it. I would do a 2.5" lift and 33x10.50s. Maybe some armor. Some day a used slide in camper.

So do I sell the 80 for maybe more than I can get the taco?

My cruiser:
2a8589ab95e149481634ff741817d4cd.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

chunko

Observer
I will also be increasing range by over 80 miles

You could probably do that with a couple cans of extra gas too, though. Also, I would think that a slide in would affect gas mileage pretty hard.

That is a sweet and clean 80, especially with the e-lockers- but it all depends on what you want to use your rig for. If you want to get through gnarly trails I would keep the 80. However, if you just want your vehicle to get you to your destination and act as a basecamp and home while you spend the day riding, the Taco makes more sense.

Also, have you considered RTT's or teardrop trailers? They may be an alternate solution to your dilemma.

Lastly, how did you make your roof rack? Have a build thread?

mtnbike28

Expedition Leader
I was all prepared to say Taco when I opened your tread - but now I say keep the 80. What type of slide in? I have a Flippac and it works well, but I would not want a heavier/bigger camper. I like the idea above, teardrop or egg camper if not wanting to do off-road.

The_Dude

Adventurer
I am having such a hard time with this decision. I can't afford to keep the 80 and get another truck. The 80 is one of those vehicles I will kick myself for selling but the platform of the taco is so nice.

I would get a compact pop top slide in camper

BajaSurfRig

@the_dude I think that you should keep the 80 series. Once you add a camper to a first gen Tacoma your mpg drops significantly along with your range. I get between 14 and 16 depending on the type of driving that I am doing, just my two cents...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz