Currently in Alexandria Egypt - driven from Cape Town South Africa

Ross Calder

Hey y'all
Just a fun blog containing a collection of our good and bad experiences through the continent of Africa.
https://beyondthebonnet.wordpress.com/
We are about to ship the Land Rover to Italy where our over land journey will start again. As African we are keen to colonise Europe ... hahahahahahaha
See y'all soon
Ross

wickychicky

Observer
Hi Ross,

Looking forward to spending a bit more time reading your blog: what I've glanced at so far looks great, thank you!

Please could you share, or send me, the contacts for the shipping, as we'd like to do the same route in October if possible.

Also, once you have the Mandy back safely in your possession, a little update as to how it all we t, any pitfalls to avoid etc, would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Helen

http://www.wanderwheels.wordpress.com

Ross Calder

Helen

Hi Helen

Yes I will do. One of the things you will have to overcome is the rediculous 200% Carnet guarantee you have to put up for Egypt ... our Land Rover was estimated at R400 000 so they wanted an R800 000 deposit or guarantee (AA in SA) ... instead I paid $600 for an Egyptian licence ... I will send you the details if you require them.
The shippers (agents) are below, they were very efficient ... I can however send you the direct contact with the boat owners - you should chat with them as you may be able to avoid excess agents costs ...
Nermien Mamish
Managing Partner - MBA,
Consolidated Freight Service ( CFS ).
125, Hurreya Ave.
El Radwan Bldg.
Bab-Sherk
Alexandria - Egypt.
Tel : 002 03 3914671 /2 / 4
Fax : 002 03 3914679
Mobile : 002 0122 240 4884
https://www.facebook.com/cfsegypt

Hi ya Ross
Rosel mentioned a while back you were doing a trans Africa trip - just picked up on your blog. Glad you keeping the Landy love high - all the best to you and Kath
Hamba kahle
Mike

Dan Grec

Expedition Leader
Hey Ross,

That info is awesome about the entry with no carnet.
I'm on the West Coast now without one, contemplating Egypt for when I eventually get there.

So to be clear, you drove your Land Rover in without a carnet, for around $600USD, and you go no part of that back?
30 days permit?

Thanks again very much!

-Dan

Ross Calder

carnet egypt

Hi
Yes $600, sadly nothing back, I think if you went to the Automobile Association guys in Alexandria you could do a "deal" - if you were shipping from Europe or other just get to Alex on the Sunday and go to the Automobile Club in the city centre ... then you save around $50 to $100 ... I had tried to contact them by email without much luck ... perhaps use alaraby Automobile Club ...
Unfortunately we were in the hands of the agent in Abu Simbel ... the $600 included him getting the paperwork done and delivered to us at the border, a week before we arrived, you can request a 30+ day carnet ... I just dont know what you would do there for 30+ days ....

Kamal ... &#8235;kamal aswan&#8236; &#8235; <kamalaswanegy@yahoo.com

Egypt mobile 01005322669

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 8.15.31 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 8.15.31 AM.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 8.15.19 AM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2017-05-13 at 8.15.19 AM.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 13

Forum statistics

Threads
Members