1997 Toyota RAV4, my choice

Ravver

My first 4x4 after my beloved 300k km 1992 VW T4 Multivan and many, many thoughts. I was searching for a very reliable, decent spacious, permanent awd vehicle with less as possible electronics but not too old, preferably diesel for less fuel and more torque. Excluded various Land for reliability, Pajero\Montero V20 (my first choice with it's fantastic superselect but here in Italy very few 5 doors and all with a looot of km), Nissan Xtrail\ Gran Vitara for tod system that i don't like, Terrano's only 2wd and, again, i don't want a RWD for my 90% drive. I saw first gen Santa Fe, some xj\grand Cherokee and few more and then...Rav 4.1! One owner (after 20 years!), 140k km, very well cared outside and inside (only Toyota service), sunroof, 2k $ only. I'm not 100% sure, only 99%, that her rear diff is a Torsen. Central diff electro-mechanic lock, good ground clearance, seats that can lay flat if needed, absolutely reliable in hundreds of users review. She lack in reduction gear and is a gasoline (!) but in the first highway 2000km with oculate drive i've obtained 27 mpg, not bad at all, and gasoline at least is fun! Pleased to meet other rav 4.1 owners here.

IMG_20170411_164740622.jpg
IMG_20170411_164532201.jpg

OuterLimits

I control the horizontal and the vertical
That's a fine looking rig! I wish I could get 27 mpg with my Escape.

Looks like you have already beefed up the tires.

bartheil

We had one of those in the UAE. It could literally do 80% of what a Landcruiser can do in the desert sand and mountains roads were shed fun. The best part was that with a 2 liter engine and stick shift, we left all those big Landcruisers in the dust at the traffic lights.

jf1sf5

Observer
Thats a very cool suv ! Had one back in '96. To be sure if your rear diff is Torsen, jack both rear wheels in the air. Turn one wheel by hand, if the other rotates in the same direction, its a Torsen, if it rotates in the opposite direction, its an open differential. (I have a Forester with 2 Quaife differentials)

Ravver

kojackJKU: i'm in my fifties and i'd want make some long trips, from Italy maybe Russia or (a dream) India... (ps- your signature's website is off, i'm curious..)
bartheil : agree, i need only to learn some drive tips... here we have a lot of narrow roads where little is best!
jf1sf5 : not correct, i've read a lot on the argument, that test is valid for LSD diff. Torsen is different, wheels rotates in the opposite direction as open... as found on tube video only difference is a '2' engraved on the iron on case instead of '1' in open diff. If it's true i've a 2...

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
OH, Yeah....I am going to get it up going again soon. the dues for the site lapsed....I should have it back this week, and I am going to add lots of content this summer....Sorry aobut that! I am going to redo the blog as soon as I can, and update and keep adding content this year. I am very excited to get this blog moving along more!! Back to the rav, I agree, small lightweight rigs are ideal for exploring. Add some nice tires, a bit of armor, and some small lift...and go! That is what my wife and I are doing with the patriot. Comfortable, and capable. I was tired in my JK Unlimited....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles