New to me Landy Disco II S

davis31052

Adventurer
Picked up this little jewel earlier this week. It runs!!.......sorta. Transmission is stuck in high gear and the "D" light is flashing. Limp mode, I assume. The Three Amigos were present at purchase, needs tires, and a new engine block (slipped liner/s) I assume. Body is straight, interior is in good shape. Wiring isn't butchered up. No sunroofs, so no water damage inside. no air suspension. what cha think?

landy.jpg

Exploder
I hope you didn't pay more than $500. :sombrero:

In all seriousness, you'll either fall in love and spend way too much money or you'll hate it and spend way too much money. This coming from a guy who's had a D2, D1, RRC, and is now driving an LR3.

Good luck; we're here when you need us.

MLu

Adventurer
These things can leak even without a sunroof. I had an untreated stone chip that rusted through above the right hand A-pillar, so whenever it rained the body control unit behind the glove box got wet and everything electric, from warning lights to central locking started going on and off at random.

Everything that can possibly go wrong on this truck already has gone wrong, been fixed and documented and detailed repair instructions with videos and pictures have been made, so all you need is a black belt in google-**** and a set of spanners.

But you probably sort of know what you've gotten yourself into, so have fun!

davis31052

Adventurer
Yup, it's a project for down the road. I did my research going in. Read up here and joined several LR forums. I'll get it all straight with help from the ole inter webs.

davis31052

Adventurer
So, Finally had a chance to piddle with the Disco on Monday. Cleared all the codes and the only one that remains is the Service Engine Light for the 02 sensors. Put in an order for all 4 to be here next week.
Transmission shift mode lights are intermittent and when on, the transmission hangs in high gear. I plan to remove the XYZ switch and check for corrosion.

Engine runs surprisingly well and what I thought was and exhaust leak turned out to be a loose spark plug on the rear left cylinder. Luckily the threads weren't damaged and the tick, tick tick is now reduced to the other tick, which I believe is a bad lifter or two.

I did notice coolant dripping off the transmission so I'm hoping its from the throttle plate heater hose leak running down the valve cover to the back of the engine, and not an external head gasket leak. New coolant hose kit is in-route to stop the water leaks, and a transmission service kit as well.

small victories!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier