Slumberjack Road House Tarp

MizMoosie

Observer
First set up of the Roadhouse...
20170507_100033-M.jpg

20170507_100053-M.jpg

Contrary to the package insert, there are no online instructions for set up. But it is not complicated. The Ursa Minor top required a few modifications to attach to the Jeep.

Very large and provides nice coverage. I think it would provide nice rain protection if it wasn't blowing sideways. Two very stout steel poles and all of the guy ropes included. I think it will work...:wings:

Foggy

Awesome - I was about to ask if anyone received theirs yet. Looks good. I'll have to order one.

CCH

Adventurer
I tried mine out as an improvised awning for our R-Pod camper this weekend. It works as such, but I'm really looking forward to using it on the Jeep. We didn't experience serious precipitation, but I see no reason why it won't shed moisture just fine. It held up in some fairly stout winds, and that was when not used as designed. Guy lines are your friends. Pros include a variety of ways to set it up and adjust based on weather and overall roominess. Only real con so far is that the poles are pretty bulky and heavy, as well as non-adjustable in length. I think you will work to break them though. I would want two people to deploy if conditions are windy. Note that it can be set up sans vehicle in a sort of A-frame configuration. I suspect that you could also just detach from the vehicle and stake down that portion of the tarp while leaving the poles as originally set if you wanted to go somewhere, but leave camp set up. Overall, it seems like a lot of shelter for the money and one of the few that does not require a rack for use. Long term use will test durability, but it is pretty heavy nylon and seam sealed. Unless their stitching sucks, it should hold up.

swrider

Observer
Seems like a useful thing to have, alas, i have a pickup truck with no camper shell. It'd be kinda hard to setup for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

malibubts

Adventurer
I've been looking recently for the best way to get some shelter on my truck without having to use an awning. I don't have racks on my shell and don't want to buy racks just for an awning. This looks perfect! I may have to pick one of these up soon.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Not quite high enough for my liking. Down here in TX any short canopy like that has the effect of adding heat if it's not far enough away from your head.

CCH

Adventurer
How tall do you like your tarp? The poles are pretty long and it angles back to whatever height your vehicle is. For me that means it runs from a bit over six feet up to about eight in height. Much taller and I think you're going to have some stability issues.

Weird, not listed for sale anywhere. Slumberjack website, says available early July. So much for getting this week for next weeks vacation!

Kilted Viking

Seems like a useful thing to have, alas, i have a pickup truck with no camper shell. It'd be kinda hard to setup for me

It ships with two poles so it can be used as a free-standing A-frame if needed. No vehicle necessary.

I have been looking at this roadhouse tarp for a couple weeks now and have been in touch with Slumberjack on a couple different occasions, the most recent was this past Wednesday. The guy there said that they have received a batch at the warehouse and are expecting another on Friday (today) and to keep an eye out on the website because they expect them to go fast once they hot the web. That being said, I actually stumbled across one on Overstock.com today and jumped on it since there was only one left. It looks like the Midway USA site expects more in since they are accepting backorders. I have been looking at adding an awning to my FJC for a while now and this appears to be the best bang for the buck that I have found! Can't wait for it to arrive so I can try it out. :)

I bought one of these Roadhouse tarp kits from www.camofire.com last week for $84. They have a few more in stock.

I found it frustrating that there is no included set-up instructions, and none on the Slumberjack website. But I set it up first time as a free-standing awning; I think it will be more obvious to set-up when attached to the side or end of a vehicle.

The quality seems good, and it promises to offer a lot of shade on an upcoming Colorado high country trip.

-Alan

One end of the Roadhouse tarp has straps with quick disconnect buckles. These are designed to wrap around most anything; they show in the Slumberjack promo video using slots in the rear wheels to attach that end of the Roadhouse tarp. Although I have a canopy but no roof rack on my Tacoma I can see using the rock sliders as an attachment point.

-Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles