Slumberjack Road House Tarp

Loco

IMG_2915.jpgIMG_2912.jpgIMG_2917.jpgI ordered one from Amazon. Just went out unboxed it and put it on my FJ Cruiser. Was utter junk! All three bags had holes in them. Every crease in the tarp had wear holes the entire length of the tarp.
The design seemed pretty nice. Hooked right up to my Gobi rack and rock sliders nice and snug. Not sure if I was sent a used/returned but the quality was crap.

Last edited:

CCH

Adventurer
You definitely got a bad one. That, or I got a good one? There was no wear or damage to my bag or tarp I picked up from Camofire.com.

I bought one of these Roadhouse tarp kits from www.camofire.com last week for $84. They have a few more in stock.

I found it frustrating that there is no included set-up instructions, and none on the Slumberjack website. But I set it up first time as a free-standing awning; I think it will be more obvious to set-up when attached to the side or end of a vehicle.

The quality seems good, and it promises to offer a lot of shade on an upcoming Colorado high country trip.

-Alan
its on they're website under pitching tent.

View attachment 410083View attachment 410081View attachment 410080I ordered one from Amazon. Just went out unboxed it and put it on my FJ Cruiser. Was utter junk! All three bags had holes in them. Every crease in the tarp had wear holes the entire length of the tarp.
The design seemed pretty nice. Hooked right up to my Gobi rack and rock sliders nice and snug. Not sure if I was sent a used/returned but the quality was crap.

that has to be a returned item. mine looked nothing like that when i opened the box. call them, they'll refund or swap it.

I have one and have used it several times. It has held up well. I did find that with both poles in use and the other end attached to a vehicle there is the possibility for water to pool due to the lack of pitch on the top. the poles are heavy and burly and I didn't have any issues even in heavy rain for a solid 20 hours straight.

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Does it have grommets/eyelets on all the corners? The pictures I've seen where the straps go to the wheels don't seem to have the grommet/eyelets.
Would love to see more pics of this tarp in action.

dcg141

Adventurer
I really like Aqua Quest tarps. I have a couple and use then all the time. They use loops instead of eyelets and the sewing is really robust. You can use flat washers on your poles to keep the loops from sliding down. The kits come with a set of quick release compression straps that work really good with the loops when you tie them off. I have the safari series. https://aquaquestwaterproof.com/

Last edited:

Seth_sd

Does it have grommets/eyelets on all the corners? The pictures I've seen where the straps go to the wheels don't seem to have the grommet/eyelets.
Would love to see more pics of this tarp in action.

There are grommets in the rear and the area around the grommets is reinforced. Anywhere a pole goes, there are grommets. I think there is only one grommet up front in the center of the tarp.

I've had mine up in 20-25 knots on the beach at South Padre and had it up in the rain attached to two trees rather than my 4Runner. without issues You can do the A-Frame with a single pole (rain) or get tons more headroom with 2 poles. The poles are really sturdy and they have a shaft that goes through the grommets and it's super easy to attach the guylines to that shaft. The shaft is "ribbed "or "threaded" so the guylines really grip it well.

SJK_tarp_tacomaFlatBack_SJK17_web__09239.1525699018.jpg

SJK_tarp_tacomaWheel_SJK17_web__09372.1525700458.jpg

SJK_tarp_freeStand2_SJK17_web__20488.1525700103.jpg

ETAV8R

Founder of D.E.R.P.
Thank you for the detailed response. I use either a Kelty Noah 12 or 16 with my current set up to something similar to the Roadhouse. With my setup I need to be able to open the side doors on my truck shell to access my kitchen items and have access to the interior. Unless I could use other poles to raise the sides closer to the cab I'm not sure if the Roadhouse would work for my needs. It looks great and those poles are stout.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke