Rivnut in dash as base for RAM mount?

Nomads365

A Most Adventurous Couple
Spotted this setup for mounting a DeLorme unit on a Tacoma pillar that I thought looked pretty good. Might give you some ideas. I'll likely do a similar setup in my Dodge.

LINKAGE

rayra

Expedition Leader
3M 'heavy duty' double sided tape - the gray stuff with the red backer - is plenty strong. I'm using it on my own dash tablet mount and I've got zero trouble with high heat and washboard roads.

http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...ablet-GPS-mounts-please?p=2075866#post2075866

tower%20of%20power_zpsyiojy4uh.jpg

btw, that whole topic is full of dash mount ideas.

WickedSharp

Many of you might spend time on the TW forums. Well there is a guy who came up with these little gems.

My iPhone will go on a magnet base on the smaller ball on the left. Then I'll find the right mount for my iPad to use with the 1" ball on the right.

It was more work to get these installed. Had to take the whole center dash out to get the threaded backing plates into place.

It's done now though and I'm super happy!

Take a look:

87387ab05109b249bda731305ed0ba53.jpg

d6837b64d443be33bd7a155528b30eea.jpg

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
3M 'heavy duty' double sided tape - the gray stuff with the red backer - is plenty strong. I'm using it on my own dash tablet mount and I've got zero trouble with high heat and washboard roads.
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/t...ablet-GPS-mounts-please?p=2075866#post2075866

tower of power_zpsyiojy4uh.jpg

btw, that whole topic is full of dash mount ideas.
A cat video, really? :rolleyes:
:sombrero: Seriously, 3m heavy duty outdoor mounting tape ******. A rock solid installation and 100% reversible with no damage to the vehicle. As much as I sometimes miss the days when Men were Men and Dashboards were Steel, 3m tape has worked on my GPS units for years. I liked it so much I ordered another RAM ball off of Amazon and put it on the dash of my DD Nissan Pathfinder to hold my iPhone.
And for those who are worried that it might soften and loosen up in extreme heat, I've had mine in Death Valley in mid Summer and it never came off. In fact, when I went to sell my 4runner in 2015 I have to admit it took some real effort with a razor blade and my wife's hair dryer to get the stuff to come off. So don't think a hot day alone will do it.
I guess if it was an older vehicle with limited resale value and I KNEW I was going to be going on some long, extended trips I might be tempted to find a way to bolt the RAM ball in, but for most casual use I can't see any real disadvantage to the 3m mounting tape option.

Curious about the 3M Command Strips? Wife uses these all over the house so she doesn't have nail holes in the wall. Are they not strong enough and what about the heat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles