Rivnut in dash as base for RAM mount?

WickedSharp

Has anyone ever stuck a Rivnut (1/4x20) right in your dash and used it as a base for a threaded RAM mount ball?

If so, how did it work out? Pictures??

Lucky j

Explorer
I used double side 3m foam tape, and it hold the x-grip rammount set up for my samsung galaxie tab8 with an otterbox cover.

But that is in my dd. In the jeep, it is mounted to a windshield frame cross bar system.

WickedSharp

Right, not the padded part. Any old flat spot on rigid plastic. Probably likely to find this around the radio or temp controls

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
I would prefer a large washer or plate behind, a rivnut in plastic just seems like it would crack the plastic the first time there is some lateral force

I have a ram mount mounted to plastic with an aluminum plate behind and fender washers and its pretty sturdy

Yarjammer

Wellreadneck
The first bit of corduroy and I see disaster; you really need something rigid that can handle/distribute the load without deflection. Keep in mind that any arm or extension is going to multiply the effect.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Seems like overkill and huge expense as a way of adding a 12-cent 1/4-20 nut to a dash. Unless you've got the rivnut setting tool laying around already.

Something as simple as a 1/4-20 standoff would solve your attachment issue. You just fasten it where you want it and have a 1/4-20 socket

201311516595853030.jpg

Last edited:

dcwn.45

Observer
I used some thin double sided tape and automotive Goop adhesive to attach a Ram ball to the dash of my Tacoma
Solid enough to support a tablet
IMG_0033.JPG
I'm out of town and I don't have a better pic but it works great ��

Superduty

Adventurer
I tried something similar in the plastic dash of my Jeep. It didn't work nearly as well as I had hoped. The riv nut just didn't work well in the plastic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
  • I liked the Ram mounts, but didn't want to pay the price. And, I didn't want to make any extra holes, or irreversible alterations in my dash. So, I just made my own dash-mount from a metal strap I cut and bent to fit, a small camera stand, and a tablet-to-tripod adapter (will fit any mount with a 1/4-20 thread). I popped off the dash surround (easily removed on 2004 Silverado), removed two screws, cut and bent a metal strap to fit the space, used small screws to attach the stand base to the strap, screwed the strap /stand assembly to the factory holes, snapped the surround back on, then attached the stand spacer and head to the base. I painted the holding strap "black" to match the stand (got brush marks on my dash, painting at night with bad eyesight!), then attached the tablet adapter.
  • Two problems: when adapter is "up" (as shown in pictures), the mount tries to swivel downward (segments unscrew), because my tablet (w/folio cover) weighs 1.5 lbs. I'll either loc-tite the segments in place, or let the adapter hang down. I have a similar adapter in my HHR (though on a removable base) where the adapter hangs down, and the tablet is steadier. Both are still works in progress. I also show the home-made attachment of my 400w inverter, CB radio, and SWR meter. HAM radio will be a hand-held (next gadget to carry).
  • View attachment 383314View attachment 383315View attachment 383316View attachment 383317View attachment 383318View attachment 383319View attachment 383320View attachment 383321View attachment 383322

PIC4GOD

Adventurer
Look up Axiom mount for your vehicle on Amazon. I've installed these on a couple of vehicles and they work great. They are custom brackets designed to use existing trim and bolts in the vehicle to mount phones, tablets, and radio gear. They are also fairly inexpensive and are AMPS compatible for many styles of mounts once you have the Axiom bracket installed.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

another_mike

Adventurer
Look up Axiom mount for your vehicle on Amazon. I've installed these on a couple of vehicles and they work great. They are custom brackets designed to use existing trim and bolts in the vehicle to mount phones, tablets, and radio gear. They are also fairly inexpensive and are AMPS compatible for many styles of mounts once you have the Axiom bracket installed.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Cant find anything on Amazon, a bunch of bicycle parts......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94