Newby transmission rebuild question

Tlave

I am new to the forum, new to diesel vehicles and new to e 350 vans. I recently purchased a 2000 7.3l E350 high top passenger van with @ 95,000 miles. I purchased the van with the intent of doing a 4x4 conversion and using it as my Daily driver/mild off roader/tow vehicle(towing @ 7500lbs 80% of the time). The transmission currently shows no sign of a problem, but I have to pull it to have installed a 4x4 input shaft and tail housing. I thought, while it is out maybe this would be a good time to do a rebuild/upgrade. I spoke briefly with a local transmission shop that suggested a billet triple disk torque converter, racing clutches and billet input shaft along with the other standard rebuild components. I'm planning on a 6.0 cooler upgrade and possibly a deeper pan. What recommendations do you all have for a good durable build for my particular use while trying keep somewhat of a factory ride(trying to avoid overly hard shifting)and not get crazy with my budget ? Thanks in advance for your help.

broncobowsher

Adventurer
My uncles '00 powerstroke got a factory transmission at 59k, warranty for a bad mechanical diode.
At 260k I pulled the trans due to a fluid lead. Put in a $5 seal from the Ford parts counter.
325k an injector went bad and washed out a cylinder, get an engine but didn't touch the transmission.
About to roll up on the 400k mark. So that is 300k+ on a stock transmission (and a stock engine). There have been countless trailers over 10k hooked to this rig.

If you are not juicing the engine up, a fairly stock rebuild will do. Triple disc convertor sure sounds like a lot of money where stock has proven to handle it. Sounds like your tranny guy is dealing with blown up transmission from overfueled engines and people who drive them like idiots.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Just throwing it out there but you can get one with a factory warranty from AutonationFord for $2300. http://parts.autonationfordwhitebea...tic-transmission-scat/?part_name=transmission

Have to be careful with that, the warranty from Ford will void if the transmission isn't in the intended application. I tried to go this route for our conversions and they told me no.

Any good transmission shop will know what the 4R100 needs for reliability upgrades, we only use billet converters if the rig will be towing a lot.

stormlover

Adventurer
Have to be careful with that, the warranty from Ford will void if the transmission isn't in the intended application. I tried to go this route for our conversions and they told me no.

Any good transmission shop will know what the 4R100 needs for reliability upgrades, we only use billet converters if the rig will be towing a lot.

Because the OP is intending to convert to 4x4 at some point then that would void the warranty? Anyhow, my bad I missed the part about there not being anything wrong with the OP's tranny.

VOODOO7.3

Adventurer
No huge benefits from the deeper pan. 6.0 or single large plate cooler is a plus along with mobil 1 fluid. John Wood or BTS valve body is heavier duty upgrade. 2002-03's came with upgraded converter. As stated, you will not need all the expensive billet stuff unless you're planning on spending big for 500+ hp. I would simply add necessary 4wd parts, flush it, refill with Mobil 1, and add bigger cooler and gauge. Just my $0.02.

tmo2460

Observer
I am new to the forum, new to diesel vehicles and new to e 350 vans. I recently purchased a 2000 7.3l E350 high top passenger van with @ 95,000 miles. I purchased the van with the intent of doing a 4x4 conversion and using it as my Daily driver/mild off roader/tow vehicle(towing @ 7500lbs 80% of the time). The transmission currently shows no sign of a problem, but I have to pull it to have installed a 4x4 input shaft and tail housing. I thought, while it is out maybe this would be a good time to do a rebuild/upgrade. I spoke briefly with a local transmission shop that suggested a billet triple disk torque converter, racing clutches and billet input shaft along with the other standard rebuild components. I'm planning on a 6.0 cooler upgrade and possibly a deeper pan. What recommendations do you all have for a good durable build for my particular use while trying keep somewhat of a factory ride(trying to avoid overly hard shifting)and not get crazy with my budget ? Thanks in advance for your help.

I'm pretty much in the same boat (minus the towing), I'm going to be pulling my E4OD that only just turned 55k as part of the 4WD conversion.

Any other info or E4OD specific tips? As far as I know they are essentially the same transmission...

Trying to follow the "Do it nice or do it twice" philosophy with this.

ujoint

Supporting Sponsor
Because the OP is intending to convert to 4x4 at some point then that would void the warranty? Anyhow, my bad I missed the part about there not being anything wrong with the OP's tranny.

Ford won't warranty the transmission unless its in the vehicle for the application.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier