LR4 Hidden Winch Install Estimate

I picked up a terra-firma hidden winch mounting plate and got a great deal on a superwinch. Reviewing a number of sites on how to go a about doing the install I got scared away from doing the project myself. I just don't feel like I am ready to cut pieces out of the bumper.

I emailed a local shop that I expect has little experience with LR's all of the above information and asked for an estimate. They asked I stop by to let them take a look. They explained to me they were estimating the install would take between 20 and 22 hours. At $85 an hour thats coming close to $2,000.

Anyone have any experience with cost of actual install.

Cheers!

Alex M

Observer
I had a non dealer land rover mechanic give me a quote to install the OEM winch mount kit, and he quoted $450. This wad a pretty reputable place that has done the install before.

@Alex M -- That would seem reasonable to me. It appears as if this place does primarily Jeeps and I got that feeling that they did not want the job. Similar response when contractors don't want a job. They bid the job so high that if you are fool enough to hire them they are happy to do it, otherwise...

Dealer quoted me 700 for full install. 20-22 hours is insane for any remotely competent mechanic

You'll be surprised at how easy the job really will be. It's gonna take you longer to get the screws out of the bumper the first time. Going back together is not that hard.

AND!!!!!! Take your time, get the front end off, fit the winch plate and winch and drive it if you need too without the bumper cover.....absolutely no harm in this because you will still have headlights and just beeping front parking sensors.

You got this......measure three times and cut once. For the price they quoted you, you could get another front bumper if you do mess it up....which is not likely.

Go for it.....

@Victory_Overland -- I have/had primarily abandoned my roots the past decade and had all my auto work done by someone else. Perhaps it is time to gain back some confidence and cut some holes in that **********.

@DiscoNels -- I have reviewed that thread a few times. The bolt recommendation is right on target but other parts of that build make me more than a little nervous.

vasily

Adventurer
@Victory_Overland -- I have/had primarily abandoned my roots the past decade and had all my auto work done by someone else. Perhaps it is time to gain back some confidence and cut some holes in that **********.

@DiscoNels -- I have reviewed that thread a few times. The bolt recommendation is right on target but other parts of that build make me more than a little nervous.

You can't modify your Rover withou modifying your Rover.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rjl

Ryan
Call the LR Merriam service department and see how much they'll quote you. I believe they've done some ARB installs, so I know they aren't afraid of doing non-standard Land Rover stuff.

Excellent suggestion. If I lose my nerve doing it myself that gives me a good idea of what it would really cost.

Kansas, so close but feels soooo far away some days.

@DiscoNels -- I was just watching that video yesterday. It is really helpful. I think I can handle removing the bumpe. Its the ideal of having to cut the opening for the winch as well as having to cut any metal off the vehiclet that makes me nervous. Its odd to purchase a "custom" product that then requires cutting up of the internal workings. Custom to me means the piece would be designed to work with the vehicle as it comes.

Thanks for the input!

I am all in on this mod. Started this morning and had everything removed within a few short hours. The terrafirma winch mount comes with no instructions, and it seems to be a mystery to the internet and the place I purchased the parts from, regarding which of the spacers goes where. But I figured out the majority through deduction and guessing. Thats when it went bad -- the winch does not fit.

I debated options and then proceeded to remove the solenoid pack and figured I would find a location to relocate. But that is not the major problem. The major issue is that the height of the winch, including the handle for free spool is too tall for the space.

Option to suggestions. Please

psykokid

Explorer
Which winch do you have? Often times it is possible to clock the end of the winch with the freespool handle 90 degrees one way or the other to provide adequate clearance.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz