Ford Escape e/x Build

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Nice. the pin holes of rust that were coming from the coat could have been off gassing as well. Something you cannot avoid some times. BUTTTTTTT, That is no reason to be a total ***.

EDIT: I mean the guy doing to powder coating being a total ************/

Last edited:

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
I've thought about getting those wheels for my Subaru, too bad the paint isn't tougher. Oh well I don't really dislike the silver steelies that are on it.

OuterLimits

I control the horizontal and the vertical
BUTTTTTTT, That is no reason to be a total ***. EDIT: I mean the guy doing to powder coating being a total ************/

This powder-clown's a$$hat was a 2XL and he wore it well.

1j7taw.jpgb74e77031fdb41hjgjkf.jpg

Pretty sure he got a free bowl of soup with that hat!

Last edited:

OuterLimits

I've thought about getting those wheels for my Subaru, too bad the paint isn't tougher. Oh well I don't really dislike the silver steelies that are on it.

Buddha, I am not going to make a blanket statement about all Sparco wheels. Mine were abysmally soft regarding the paint. It may have just been a bad batch.

Being a Soobie guy, you should ask around the Subaru forums regarding the Sparco paint. Lots of Subarus running Sparco Terra wheels. At least you'll get a larger sample size.

If the paint is a bit soft in general, powder coating is a reasonable cost solution. The powdercoat on my wheels is on there like it is part of the metal.

Cheers

Last edited:

OuterLimits

Awesome! I've always been impressed with my escape. They are solid little crossovers. Looking good!

Dr. James, The Escape has been my "prescription" for fun!

Thanks for your comments

Last edited:

kojackJKU

I love any small ute. I had enough of the lifted 35" tire JK. Pounded the piss out of me, crap on gas, and just a beast on the road. AWESOME off road. But our little pat is a great all round rig for us. I have the suburban to tow our campers/trailers and extended extended trips!

OuterLimits

I love any small ute. I had enough of the lifted 35" tire JK. Pounded the piss out of me, crap on gas, and just a beast on the road. AWESOME off road. But our little pat is a great all round rig for us. I have the suburban to tow our campers/trailers and extended extended trips!

Preaching to the choir Brother Kojack... Preaching to the choir...

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Ha Ha ! for sure. I traded my JK keys for keys for a new Nissan micra. going from 16l per 100 kms to 6/100kms was awesome.

OuterLimits

THE ESCAPE RALLY PLATFORM

3ed89a54589eb53ea2e.jpg

Here in the states, the Escape is perhaps the Rodney Dangerfield of off-road rigs.
I say it's time for a fresh new perspective on the Escape's off-road chops.

qpnqiw.jpg

There are some that saw the early Escape models as rugged and capable CUVs. They saw the potential for more than just grocery getter and soccer shuttle. These little rigs were used as off-road rally platforms, especially in Asia and the Middle East.

28kn0c4.jpg

2h2ozr5.jpg

The good news- Racing platforms means cool parts availability for us non-race types.

1707487kk9qsj7zmcqb9q3.jpg

The bad news- Most of the cool parts were only available through half a dozen companies located in the Middle-East and Asia. This leads to language snafus, long wait times, and nose bleed inducing shipping rates.

1138180989.JPG

The badder news- Ford went all cross-overy with the later model Escapes. The cool race parts places stopped carrying cool race parts.

1186634115.JPG

The baddest news- By the time I decided to get some cool race parts for my Escape, there was only one company, FTS in Taiwan, that still carried a handful of parts. A skid plate, snorkel, and rear adjustable trailing arms was the full extent of their offerings.

nn32gm.jpg

Unfortunately, the shipping on the skid plate was nearly as much as the cost of the skid plate!

escapejkfjffjgfy7897.jpg

However, It did seem to be a well designed and robust skid solution. And, it was the only "off the shelf" Escape skid plate available on earth.

asia-rally.jpg

Next up: Skid Plate Breakdown.

Last edited:

kojackJKU

I'm sure you checked out the other build. the H&R make a noticeable difference. couple them with the Monroe oe spectrum struts....you will have a very capable rig that rides great. Use what you can. If you can get the specs of the H&Rs, spring rates, uncompressed length etc, you could goto moog, and maybe get a spring that rides exactly the same but with 2" of lift....There are ways around stuff!

OuterLimits

Kojack,

I appreciate your input and enthusiasm.

The suspension solution has been decided. The parts are in hand.

Installation will be in the next week or two.

Till then I will leave you in "suspense"-ion.

Cheers

Last edited:

kojackJKU

Ha ha ha! I'm very interested. I am not afilliated with Monroe in any way. Just a very happy user. I ran them on at least 6 rigs now and LOVE them on every one.

OuterLimits

SKID PLATE BREAKDOWN

After scouring the ends of the earth for a turnkey skid plate solution it all came down to one option, FTS skids.

To buy or not to buy. This one was easy..BUY!

The Cooper tires help improve off-road traction, but the under bits of the Escape are a bit vulnerable. The primary target for a vicious and uncaring rock is the cast aluminum oil sump. Secondary target is the transfer case. Damage to either would create an off road fubar of epic proportions. The FTS skid package conveniently covers both.

An interesting design feature is the steel spring bars. Two flat bars that run from the front under-bumper to the front cross member. This gives the aluminum plate a nice sturdy base.

It comes with a front skid for the oil sump and a rear skid for the transfer case. This also allows just the front skid to be removed for oil changes.

What's in the box? (factory pics below)

29697777034_9f737b0219_o.jpg
(Note the mysterious part #3)

Pic-structions:
ESCAPE-FEP81.jpg

Escape Under-bits
29697068243_e786b6d909_o.jpg

Remove cross member
29697068103_186ddd0a55_o.jpg

Bolt on steel supports
30211933492_4e0415b045_o.jpg

Front skid mounted
30211936462_7e71d8f09e_o.jpg

Rear skid mounted (with mysterious part #3 at rear)
29697775484_516d6a04e5_o.jpg

It seems like a really well thought out skid kit.

Time to get this installed on the "fugitive".

Last edited:

kojackJKU

awesome. I don't think there are any aftermarket skids for the pat...but I can find a FDII in the scrap yard, I can get the factory metal ones. Mine has thick plastic now....I might even make one using my plasma CNC.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles