Arb engel dometic luna etc. Covers?

I've read alot about all these fridgefezzer insulated covers and I've also read about the importance of exterior air circulation around the coolers. Which is more important ? Especially in southern California weather 55-90 degrees max temperature range.

Kerensky97

Xterra101
The part that needs air circulation is the compressor+condenser coil, the part of the fridge that has a grille or vent fans. The more cool fresh air that vent gets the more efficient the cooler will be. The rest of the fridge will benefit from more insulation, so just make sure that whatever cover you get just has a open panel for the compressor vent. I think just about every custom made cover for your model will fit the bill, you only need to worry if you're just wrapping the fridge in a blanket and cover that vent.

irish_11

Explorer
I have been wondering this as well. Good info. Not to hijack the thread, but anyone know where I can find a cover for the older metal ARB 35 fridges? I've been looking on here, craigslist, and ebay for 60months.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Those things are overrated IMO. You can always throw your sleeping bag over it to keep it out of the sun. Just leave the vents uncovered for the compressor.

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
I have been wondering this as well. Good info. Not to hijack the thread, but anyone know where I can find a cover for the older metal ARB 35 fridges? I've been looking on here, craigslist, and ebay for 60months.

AFAIK those older ARBs were made by Engel, might help expand your search if you include Engels too.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
I have a cover for my dometic, it was on sale for $25 so i said why not. I doubt it helps much, it is very thin with just some reflective insulation, the R-value can't be very high. If your seals are old and bad it may help just by being another air barrier, otherwise i wouldn't spend a lot of money.

I'd assume that if you buy a cover from the fridge manufacturer it will have all the venting it needs for the compressor

trailscape

Explorer
The fridge shouldn't be in direct sunlight anyway, but I find the cover helps with preventing UV damage that is high in Colorado. The exposed parts have faded more than those covered. I think of the insulation more as protection from things bouncing around in the truck.

krax

Adventurer
I have to wonder if darker tint in the cargo area wouldn't do more to improve performance than a cover for the fridge.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
The cover isn't really much insulation, while dark tint can substantially lower interior temps

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

20DYNAMITE07

Just along for the ride
The cover isn't really much insulation, while dark tint can substantially lower interior temps

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Actually, I think both would be optimal. It's the same principle as a sleeping bag. Obviously, if we could control the ambient temperature, we wouldn't need a sleeping bag, but since we can't we use a bag to ensure that our body temperature stays optimal. The same is true for a fridge in your truck. If you can control the ambient temperature, you might not need an insulation bag. However, window tint can only do so much unless the car is running with the AC going, there is only so much that tint can do to control interior temperatures. Those insulation bags do the rest... or to steal a phrase from McDonald's, it keeps the hot side hot and cold side cold. :)

Sorry in advance for preaching to the choir.

Ducky's Dad

Explorer
For those of you who don't live or travel in hot climates, I used to carry a digital thermometer in my truck. I have recorded interior temps at 185F in the interior of a white truck parked in the sun in So Cal and AZ. With tinted windows and light upholstery. Anything you can do to protect the fridge is worthwhile.

AndrewP

Explorer
That bubble wrap with the foil coating on both sides makes great fridge covers. I cut out the size I need then tape it to the fridge with blue painters tape. When it gets scuffed up, I replace it. Seems to last 1-2 years.

Keep all the vents clear and open, and don't pack stuff around them and block the vents.

But you can't let the interior get that hot, or there's no where to dump the heat.

1MK

ExploreDesert
My Dometic basically lives in the back of my truck, and there have been many times that I've noticed the insulating cover has been really hot on the outside but much much cooler on the inside.

Anything to help keep it cool is going to help with how long the compressor is running and battery draw.

rlynch356

Defyota

Buddy of mine just bought the engel 35 for his ARB 35 (same fridge size ) the ARB is a little different but the cover fits fine and works like a champ he says.
Just double check the dimensions of them and there you go

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles