Are there no side by sides discussed here?

I see everything but SXS vehicles on here. do they not represent overland travel and are they not used for exploration as well? I just bought a new Honda Pioneer 500 for bringing with me in my travels. seems like a good place to start some discussions.

ihatemybike

Explorer
There have been a few threads for them, including trip reports.

Seems that since they aren't currently road legal in most areas there isn't much discussion on this site about them.

red rock

I have had a few different side by sides. We always take them camping with us. They are great for exploring and for some overlanding as long as you dont have pavement miles. We have taken ours on a couple different 3 day self supported trips that covered 200 to 300 miles. I dont usually post much on here about it because not very many seem too interested. I myself love it. Makes it more of an adventure with no heat or, air conditioning. You cant take everything and the kitchen sink with you so careful planning and packing are required. But, you can cover a lot of rough ground fairly quickly. Just got back from a 3 day trip down in the Arizona Strip a couple weeks ago and planning a 3 or 4 day trip for central Utah in September.

I have had a few different side by sides. We always take them camping with us. They are great for exploring and for some overlanding as long as you dont have pavement miles. We have taken ours on a couple different 3 day self supported trips that covered 200 to 300 miles. I dont usually post much on here about it because not very many seem too interested. I myself love it. Makes it more of an adventure with no heat or, air conditioning. You cant take everything and the kitchen sink with you so careful planning and packing are required. But, you can cover a lot of rough ground fairly quickly. Just got back from a 3 day trip down in the Arizona Strip a couple weeks ago and planning a 3 or 4 day trip for central Utah in September.

Nice, I just purchased a 2017 Honda Pioneer 500 and I'm hoping to get some exploring in soon out west.

Stumpalump

Expedition Leader
You can drive them on the street in Arizona. This is the exit of my hood last week. They pass me when I'm doing 50 in a 45 mph zone.

image.jpeg

The problem with them is that they are too bad azz for the general public. My pilot buddy that has raced every dirt vehicle I can think of leaves me in pure amazement. He covers rocky desert trails at hwy speed. The speed and ease that it can go over rocks and fly thru ruff turns make modified Jeeps look like a waste. No comparison. On the other hand my other buddies 13 year old daughter has a RZR. She likes whoops at 50. Never been so scared in my life but the things suck them up. In other words, off road they blow away every vehicle discussed on this overland site. Any drunk or rookie can jump in one and fly. That's the problem. Build big bumpers on your overland rig because you may need them.

C-Fish

Adventurer
The problem with them is that they are too bad azz for the general public. My pilot buddy that has raced every dirt vehicle I can think of leaves me in pure amazement. He covers rocky desert trails at hwy speed. The speed and ease that it can go over rocks and fly thru ruff turns make modified Jeeps look like a waste. No comparison. On the other hand my other buddies 13 year old daughter has a RZR. She likes whoops at 50. Never been so scared in my life but the things suck them up. In other words, off road they blow away every vehicle discussed on this overland site. Any drunk or rookie can jump in one and fly. That's the problem. Build big bumpers on your overland rig because you may need them.

This is 100% true!

These things have multiplied ten fold in the past few years. Plunk down 25K and you're automatically a 5 time Baja 1000 winner...I've had numerous "encounters" here in AZ.

One pilot was going so fast (with his family) he didn't stop before passing me completely onto the shoulder, avoiding a head on with my Expedition One bumper.

I avoid the areas they congregate.

Rando

Explorer
I have to agree with C-Fish, these things are the scourge of the backcountry. I have had 2 close calls with these on back roads in the past couple years (only traffic related close call we have ever had) - in both cases they were driving WAY too fast. In SW CO I had a guy (and his family, of course the kids were wearing helmets, but not daddy) come around a corner, doing 45+ MPH, swerve to avoid us and drove right through a meadow at full throttle and kept on trucking. On Hurrah pass we had some guy come up behind us, super fast, then get impatient as we were crawling down some ledges and try and go around us over a bigger drop off. He tipped over, all his beer spilled all over the place. We smiled, waved and kept on going.

Hltoppr

El Gringo Spectacular!
I've been looking at (slightly....) using several for a desert crossing expedition; although the general issue is that they're not designed for travel. Adding a trailer and haul vehicle that would need to be stored somewhere kinda turns me off to them in general.

I do have a 4 seater Rhino with a small bed that I use on a ranch for fixing fence, etc. and it's really handy. Wouldn't want to travel in it though.

I've run on numerous rescue calls for UTV/SXS accidents...seems like the demographic drawn to these is the "hold my beer and watch this!" crowd; although it's hard to generalize.

-H-

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I hate them with a passion....
It seems more and more the damage I see in the desert has the tire imprint of these things....
Totally agree on the hold my beer comment, plus the too fast for safety on tracks & trails, plus the letting the kids fly thing.

Now don't get me wrong, I grew up in Texas riding dirt bikes way to crazy and fast, but in open areas, where there was no risk of vehicle to vehicle impact and never to tear up a historic site.
Here in the desert southwest I see mine ruins with SxS tracks going all over the area with total disregard for the history.

Hate the things.

Christophe Noel

Expedition Leader
I hate them with a passion....

Hate the things.
So what is it? Do you hate them, or hate them with a passion? LOL

I try, try, try to not hate anything, but SXS vehicles do earn my ire more than most other user groups. I have a local buddy who is a flight medic. He continually tells me about all of the gnarly crash victims he transports. I'm sure you've seen a few. In virtually every incident, stupidity and neglect have cause the trauma, and more often than not to the poor sap riding along, not the dolt behind the wheel.

Again, I don't mean to paint an entire user group with the same brush but....seems to work.

NevadaLover

Forking Icehole

I try, try, try to not hate anything, but SXS vehicles do earn my ire more than most other user groups. I have a local buddy who is a flight medic. He continually tells me about all of the gnarly crash victims he transports. I'm sure you've seen a few. In virtually every incident, stupidity and neglect have cause the trauma, and more often than not to the poor sap riding along, not the dolt behind the wheel.

Again, I don't mean to paint an entire user group with the same brush but....seems to work.

Isn't there a thread somewhere that says almost the same thing about mountain bikers???:bike_rider:

ducktapeguy

Adventurer
I've never ridden one of those things, but I do see a lot of them around

Can someone explain what are advantages of a SxS compared to something like a small suzuki or jeep? It seems they are very similar in size and comparable in price, if not more expensive, so why would one choose one of those over a street legal vehicle? If I had a huge piece of property to ride on I think they'd be fun to have.

Is there something inherent in the design that allows them to go faster? It looks like a slightly shrunken version of some jeeps, and I would think the smaller tires and smaller engine would limit the capability.

Last edited:

red rock

And this right here is why I dont post about any of my adventures. Even though I have been to more places in Utah than most, all that seems to matter is what you drive. If only I drove a Toyota with a snorkel and a roof rack... lol. Hate the drivers, not the vehicles. There are good and bad in every group!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles