AT Habitat coming to the F-150?

Pilotamis

Observer
Does anyone know if this is true? I was looking around at a few F-150 builds and someone made a comment that this is currently is development for the 6.5' F-150. If so, this would be amazing!

Eagle05

Adventurer
#475 AT posted this in the Habitat thread:

"Currently manufacturing for 5 & 6 ft Tacomas (will fit similar vehicles like the Colorado). We are currently building prototypes for the 6.5 ft full size trucks, to be released sometime in May (If you are interested in this model get your name down on the waiting list as we already have 40 committed customers for the short bed full size Habitat).

After that we will start looking at the full size long beds, but we have a few other products up our sleeve before then."

So hopefully quite soon we'll be seeing them. When I get another truck maybe next year, I'll probably have to jump in line.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Yes it's true. There will be a 6.5 ft Habitat on a Dodge at Expo West next month, and 5.5ft versions in our next production run.

elcoyote

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0004
The 6.5 is in progress now and we also have some 5.5 Raptors on the schedule. We are currently building a Ram 2500 with AEV components that will emulate the Prospector with a Habitat. Both the Rams and the Raptors will receive Habitat spec Goose Gear interior systems. Here are some test fitting pictures.
e7a4cb7fd2c9c86049120ab454ea0b91.jpg
6fcdf82030ae4f1d2c4c171169dc68fd.jpg
cb0fd8cbd1f31959b610dca33443f27d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Roger M.

Adventurer
8' box F-150 version of the Habitat please ... if one was available today, I suspect the line-up to purchase would be long (I'd be in it).

There is a shortage of half ton 8' box overlanding packages right now, but I see many concepts coming down the pike currently, and suspect that whoever gets there first, at the right price point ... will dominate the massive half ton, long box American made pick-up market as it relates to overlanding (and even cost effective camping for that matter).

Whomever taps into that American half ton pick-up market with the right lightweight, affordable overlanding package will sell well beyond the hard core overlanding market IMO.

elcoyote

8' box F-150 version of the Habitat please ... if one was available today, I suspect the line-up to purchase would be long (I'd be in it).

There is a shortage of half ton 8' box overlanding packages right now, but I see many concepts coming down the pike currently, and suspect that whoever gets there first, at the right price point ... will dominate the massive half ton, long box American made pick-up market as it relates to overlanding (and even cost effective camping for that matter).

Whomever taps into that American half ton pick-up market with the right lightweight, affordable overlanding package will sell well beyond the hard core overlanding market IMO.
Ironically we keep track of how many people have expressed an interest in the Habitat and the 8' box inquiries are only 9% of total requests to date. Have you contacted us to get on the list? Unless that list grows, it will be a low priority.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Roger M.

Adventurer
I've contacted you indeed.
I want to replace my roof-top tent with something more substantial.

It's depressing to read that you folks consider 9% to be so low as to consider it a non-starter (I can read between your lines).

That's "OK" though, as I noted in my post ... there are other 8' options coming down the line, and somebody (Alu-Cab?) will own that market - it just won't be ATO (which is a drag, as I'd really like a Habitat!).

Is scaling up another 18" past the 6.5' option really that complex? (sincere question).

Martyn

It's depressing to read that you folks consider 9% to be so low as to consider it a non-starter (I can read between your lines).

That's "OK" though, as I noted in my post ... there are other 8' options coming down the line, and somebody (Alu-Cab?) will own that market - it just won't be ATO (which is a drag, as I'd really like a Habitat!).

Is scaling up another 18" past the 6.5' option really that complex? (sincere question).

No scaling up isn't that complex. We have the design modeled in SolidWorks so we can scale the whole design.

The issue is that not all 6.5 ft beds are 6.5 ft and not all 8 ft beds are 8ft. Fords are particularly difficult as they have exceptionally tall cabs. If we can come up with a design that works on numerous "8ft" beds then it's and easy issue to remedy. If the 8ft variation doesn't translate to a number of different models and manufactures then it's an issue.

If we have to produce a unique design for just the Ford bed then it means we have to have at least 20 people interested for the first run to cover the cost of the new design. Later production run would require a lower number.

All manufacturers have to look at the size of the market they are entering, balance that against the cost of the investment to enter that market, and work out if they can make a profit in that segment. Right now the 8ft market is slim pickings. The only way to change that is to have owners of trucks with 8ft beds express an interest in the Habitat.

Roger M.

Adventurer
Thanks for the additional details Martyn.

It's always easier to "wish" for something than it is to actually be the guy who is being asked to deliver it :)

Martyn

Thanks for the additional details Martyn.

It's always easier to "wish" for something than it is to actually be the guy who is being asked to deliver it :)

The best part about my job is dreaming up the ideas. The hardest part is not being able to get everything into production for what ever reason.

elcoyote

Roger, I've done a quick scan of our data base and I cannot find your name attached to an 8' request. Can you drop us a line please so that we have more data about you and your truck? It's the data that sways our production decisions...possibly in your favor :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles