2K54X4 's Frontier build thread

Did you have any trouble mounting your winch? And did you have to completely remove your bumper to do it?

By trouble, I am referring to Mark's requisite re-wiring of his Warn M8000.

2K54X4

Adventurer
bigdog said:
Yea, it seems KMA is very functional but a little rough around the edges, where the Shrock stuff is real clean! But we need a rear bumber from them!

Oh yea - Nice Truck! This is a very clean build and lots of design cues to take away from this thread. Thanks for posting.

Thanks! I hope fully will have more things completed by next weekend. :smiley_drive:

2K54X4

Adventurer
CoastalDefender said:
Did you have any trouble mounting your winch? And did you have to completely remove your bumper to do it?

Definitely have to remove the bumper to mount it, but it wasn't really any trouble. The hardest part was getting the 200+ lbs. of bumper/winch back up to remount. The way that the solenoid mounts to the winch did require me to relocate, but it wasn't a big deal.

articulate

Expedition Leader
CoastalDefender said:
By the way, you can now get a simple plug-in extension cable for the Warn. Maybe it's always been available, but the boys at Shrockworks sent me an email about it. You don't have to dink around with the wiring.

I can't remember exactly why we chose to re-wire the thing instead of just clip the wires and solder in the length required . . . memory and margaritas, man. Maybe we thought it was easier that way.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
Yeah those things get very heavy with that winch in there. I plan on going winch rope sometime to help save some weight, not to mention taking stress of the torsion bars!

2K54X4

Adventurer
articulate said:
By the way, you can now get a simple plug-in extension cable for the Warn. Maybe it's always been available, but the boys at Shrockworks sent me an email about it. You don't have to dink around with the wiring.

I can't remember exactly why we chose to re-wire the thing instead of just clip the wires and solder in the length required . . . memory and margaritas, man. Maybe we thought it was easier that way.

I still kick myself for not going with the wireless remote from the get-go. I still need to get one hooked up... I'll add that to my long list of stuff to do.

The BN Guy said:
Yeah those things get very heavy with that winch in there. I plan on going winch rope sometime to help save some weight, not to mention taking stress of the torsion bars!

Yeah. A friend on each end,and a floor jack and me in the middle! I'm in no big hurry to go through that again.

The BN Guy

Expedition Leader
I carried mine by myself through about twenty feet of offroad shop. Everyone else was either not paying attention or working on something else. Yep, I'll never do that again.

2K54X4

Adventurer
New pics of my newly installed hardware:

Defender offroad rack
Piaa 540's
KC Series 26 reverse lights
Procomp 7089 16X8 wheels

P1020780.jpg

P1020787.jpg

P1020792.jpg

bigdog

Adventurer
wow, that looks really sick! You should be very proud. Did you wind up doing much trimming after you got the new wheels installed?

2K54X4

Adventurer
Yeah, I started the cut about level with the bottom of the door trim. Then I just pretty much followed the curve of the wheel well down. So it ended up being about 2" wide at the bottom. It ended up being plenty for now. Although I imagine when it comes time for new tires I will have to trim a little more as I don't have a lot of room to spare. It wasn't as unerving as I thought it would be to cut it. The Dremel made quick easy work of it.

2K54X4

Adventurer
mcm4090 said:
How do you have the light wired?
I drilled a hole in the side of my existing rack's leg and underneath it through the roof. I ran the wires through the holes down the door molding into the engine. I put a grommet in each of the holes and siliconed them making them watertight. Everything on the outside I wire loomed and electrical taped, and then wire tied to the rack.

I will also get a pic tomorrow of this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier