2K54X4 's Frontier build thread

2K54X4

Adventurer
After much prodding from another member (Mike....:) ), here goes my shot at a build thread (sorry for the lack of installation pics).

OWNER: Jeff

YEAR: 2005
MAKE: Nissan
MODEL: Frontier "Nismo" Edition
COLOR: Aztec Red

ENGINE: 4.0lt. V6
TRANSMISSION: 5-Speed automatic

SUSPENSION:
FRONT: Sway-bar-less front with Radflo 2.0 coilovers and PRG Products upper control arms.

REAR: Bilstein 5125 shocks and custom full leaf spring pack by Alcan Springs.

ARMOR:
Shrockworks front winch bumper
Kennesaw Mountain Accessories rear bumper
Shrockworks sliders
Shrockworks full skid plate set including rear differential armor.

ELECTRICAL:
Pro-Comp Super HDX orbital battery
KC SlimLites mounted on bumper
Piaa 540's mounted on roof rack
KC 26 series lights mounted on roof rack (reverse lights)
Yaesu 7800R dual band radio / Larsen NMO 2/70 antenna
Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx

RECOVERY:
T-MAX EW-10000W winch
Viking synthetic winchline (Combo line) with safety thimble
Recovery bag including Arb snatchblock, 20' rockline, treesaver, 30K tow strap, power inverter and Craftman air compressor.
48" Hi-Lift mounted to roof basket or bed

OTHER:
Access Vanish tonneau cover
Defender roof rack
16X8 Procomp 7089's
Adventure Trailer jerry can holders (bed mounted)
Wedco fuel cans
Sceptre water cans

FUTURE MODS:
Herculine my rocker panels
Bed mounted rack system
Eezi-Awn roof-top tent

Bought my Frontier in Oct. of '05 and have enjoyed it from day 1. A capable truck off the showroom floor I quickly wanted more from it so the modding soon began.

Stock:
stock-1.jpg

With a real lack of aftermarket parts to choose from, I jumped on the first lift I could get my hands on. The Automotive Customizers spring/shackle combo:

(4x4parts.com website pic)
lift.jpg

P1000468.jpg

Shrockworks then began to produce some very nice armor for the Frontier and Xterra platform, and I was all over it. Starting with sliders and soon after a front bumper.

sliders-1.jpg

P1010400-2.jpg

Then adding stronger skid plates and rear differential armor.

(Shrockworks website pic)
d_4111.jpg

Some pics of my Hi-Lift jack mounted to my bed with the utili-trac system.

hilift2-1.jpg

hilift3-1.jpg

Last edited:

2K54X4

Adventurer
After unsuccessfully attempting to climb a rather steep icy hill in the mountains and sliding down into a tree. I then decided to order a KMA rear bumper.

P10105601.jpg

P10204141.jpg

Then I soon added my T-Max 10K winch and swapped out the steel line for lighter syntetic line.
P1020416.jpg

Soon after doing so I ended up snapping one of my front Bilsteins completely in half so I was forced (at least that's what I told my wife) into upgrading to a stronger coilover/uca setup. I went with the Radflo 2.0 coilvers and the PRG uca's from PRG Products.

from PRG Products website
productimage-picture-radflo_frontie.jpg

productimage-picture-prg_frontier_u.jpg

Not to ignore the rear I then upgraded my then completely flattend leaf springs out to a custom built set of Alcan springs. Also upgraded to some Bilstein 5125's and extended stainless steel brake lines.

P10206731.jpg

P10207491.jpg

P1020760.jpg

I feel like I now have my suspension where I want it. It rides very nice and it is definitely tough enough to handle the extra weight of all the armor.

2K54X4

Adventurer
Some more random pics:

My favorite spot in the Snowy Range Mountains:
P1020307.jpg

Some Moab:
P1020144.jpg

P1020113.jpg

And my other favorite spot Vedauwoo:
v1.jpg

v6.jpg

Thanks for checking out my rig. :)

2K54X4

Adventurer
MDZJ88 said:
Almost exactly how I would have done it. :clapsmile
Roof-rack planned?

VERY nice rig.

Thanks!

I would love a roof rack. I'm just a little picky. I really like the Gobi racks but none are available for the Frontier yet. So I patiently wait.

2K54X4 said:
After much prodding from another member (Mike....:) ), here goes my shot at a build thread (sorry for the lack of installation pics).
He's good at that. :)

Excellent thread, I'm going to model mine after yours if you don't mind? :)

2K54X4

Adventurer
mcm4090 said:
You are one that give me the ideal for Hi-Lift mount.:bigbossHL:

The utili-trac really is handy. I like your spare tire setup. I might just steal it from you. :)

2K54X4

Adventurer
CoastalDefender said:
He's good at that. :)

Excellent thread, I'm going to model mine after yours if you don't mind? :)

Heck no, I don't mind. That's what we're here for, right? Reading some of the other build threads has given me numerous ways to spend money.

2K54X4

Adventurer
CoastalDefender said:
Okay, where can I get those brackets to mount my hi-lift?:clapsmile

Brackets were bought on SummitRacing.com the u-bolts I just picked up at Lowe's or Home Depot. I had to drill just a little bit of the bracket to get the u-bolt to fit. Maybe 1/8 of an inch or so.

2K54X4 said:
Brackets were bought on SummitRacing.com the u-bolts I just picked up at Lowe's or Home Depot. I had to drill just a little bit of the bracket to get the u-bolt to fit. Maybe 1/8 of an inch or so.
Damn, I wish I knew that a week ago, I just ordered Lite-Boltz for my trailer from them.

What's it called over there?

Last edited:
I'm tossing around the idea of ordering a skid plate from Shrock today. My question is this-

Is the front radiator skid included in the bumper purchase? I have to put hte bumper off a while, looking at the T-case or Oil Pan skids right now, but I'm still curious if that plate is included, or if it's a separate purchase from the bumper?

RakkasanFA

Observer
CoastalDefender said:
I'm tossing around the idea of ordering a skid plate from Shrock today. My question is this-

Is the front radiator skid included in the bumper purchase? I have to put hte bumper off a while, looking at the T-case or Oil Pan skids right now, but I'm still curious if that plate is included, or if it's a separate purchase from the bumper?

It is included but BE PREPARED to waaaaaaaaaait.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz