2010 Frontier Pro4x build

Doc187

Observer
It's for a Chevy Silverado. I had to add a couple of bends to it and use a metal riser but it came out good.

Doc187

Observer
Made it out to Colorado with the truck and had a great time. I've since picked up some leveling blocks so I don't have to use rocks next time. I also hauled the ural to scout some hunting property. I love this little trailer and have some big modification plans for it.

Attachments

• KIMG0506.jpg
    KIMG0506.jpg
    521.1 KB · Views: 163
  • KIMG0575.jpg
    KIMG0575.jpg
    609.5 KB · Views: 163
Last edited:

Doc187

Observer
Rear bumper done. Also added a nice dog box. I had no notch the rear window frame to make room for the dog box door to swing out. While I was at it I added a heated floor mat that runs off of the power inverter. Not in the pics but I shortened the stock antenna so that it no longer hits the flip pac when deployed. No change in my radio reception that I can tell. The HAM radio antenna is offset enough that it doesn't hit the flip pac so it can stay long. I'm really happy with this set up. The utility of this truck is so nice, don't know how I lived without it.

I plan on putting a propane tank under the bed where the spare was to heat the shower and run a mr buddy space heater. Only thing I'd still like to do after that is instal an air compressor under the hood. I thought about a front winch bumper but I'm not much of a rock crawler and will probably save the weight and expense. That's what the dirt bikes are for anyway.

Attachments

• KIMG0654.jpg
    KIMG0654.jpg
    548.8 KB · Views: 138
  • KIMG0655.jpg
    KIMG0655.jpg
    562.8 KB · Views: 135
  • KIMG0656.jpg
    KIMG0656.jpg
    561.1 KB · Views: 138
  • KIMG0657.jpg
    KIMG0657.jpg
    550.4 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Doc187

Observer
I was thinking of replacing the console between the front seats with a dometic CDF11 portable fridge/freezer. It will fit but I would have to relocate the parking brake and I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. Anyone move a parking brake before? If so how hard was it?

AggroCrag

Meat Popsicle
truck looks great, doc. Couple of questions... which OME kit did you go with, and do you have any rubbing with the 255 ST/MAXX?

Also, who made the rear bumper?

Thanks

bob280zx

Observer
I was thinking of replacing the console between the front seats with a dometic CDF11 portable fridge/freezer. It will fit but I would have to relocate the parking brake and I'm not sure it's worth the trouble. Anyone move a parking brake before? If so how hard was it?

Replaced mine with a Pathfinder foot e brake.
BUT mine is a 2007 and all I had to do was order pathfinder parts and it bolted right in. Took less than an hour. Don’t know if the same would apply to a 2010

Doc187

Observer
I have the light duty springs up front and the heavy duty in the rear. No rubbing at all. Bumper is from WAM but modified.

Bob, thanks for the tip about the foot brake I'll look into it. Not sure I want to go that route though because I use it sometimes since I have a manual. I would prefer to just shift it over or forward. The problem is the mechanism is really large. I think so that they can put the handel on either side for left side driver seat overseas.

docsimple

Observer
let me jump on the "this is a sweet build" train. I have a few questions to if you don't mind.

1. The dual battery setup. Would it be a problem to have the second battery be somewhat physically smaller? I don't really know the in's and out's of extra batteries. My current setup uses a suitcase solar panel with a small deep cycle. Works great if you have sun, not so much this time of year. Would running wiring to the rear for the second battery affect charging?

2. Did you cut the hep molle mounting plates yourself?

3. How easy is it to open the flip pac? My RTT is kind of a pain in the rear and has me ready to move on. I find that sleeping in the cab is way easier to pick up and move. Closing the tent wasn't that bad but packing all the associated crap was and I like mobility.

Again, fantastic work!

Doc187

Observer
I thought I read somewhere that the dual battery system works better with two identical batteries. Don't take my word for it though do some research. I know a lot of people use deep cycle as the secondary though. You can put your second battery in the back. I just did it this way to keep it out of the living area. I thought it would be safer under the hood.

The hep molli plates are how hep sells them. I just installed them. I really like the front door panels and use the bags daily. I only mount bags to the rear when traveling as they cut down on visibility.

The flip pac is very easy. It's a little more trouble when you use the rain fly though. Still not bad, and can be done by one man. The best part is being able to stand and move around in the back. I really love the flip pac. Glad you like the truck!

justbecause

perpetually lost
bookmarking for the next time I want to find the truck with the electric pump sprayer in the bed.
Has that worked out well for you so far?

Doc187

Observer
The shower has worked well for me for cleaning boots, dogs, and other gear. I haven't used the zodi heater yet.

I took the truck spring turkey hunting and slept in it for 2 nights in the 20s. My buddies said I was crazy and that I should sleep in thier musty old trailer. I slept like a baby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles