Mrgalantguys 1998 Montero Winter package aka "Groot" Build & Adventure thread.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
No real progress the past couple weeks...still waiting on OEM parts on backorder which I expect to arrive this week and also being Fathers day this past weekend, I spent it with family.

The little time I had, I did some small little things along with cleaning up the license plate lens. After 19+ years exposed to the elements they lost their clarity, but with some $8 polishing compound and a microfiber towel...they look just as good as new.

Groot by grimgs, on Flickr

Last edited:

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Finally all the rest of the OEM parts I ordered arrived last week so I can no make some forward progress. Main goal this weekend was the clean up the transmission and install the new seals and clean up all the dirt and grime that have built up for 19+ years on the transmission. Its not as hot as it is in the Southwest..but the heat and humidity really drained me this weekend as I had to clean the trans outside my boys shop.

Rest of the OEM stuff finally here.

Amsoil for tcase and diffs

Transmission/Tcase Before

After cleaning.

Somewhere under this nastiness is a transmission mount and bracket frame.

Oh...there it is.

If you kept up on this build thread the main issue why I got my Montero so cheap is because of a transmission leak. The seal on the left wasn't even seated in at all and didn't look like the correct seal from factory. On the Right is the correct OEM seal...obviously a difference.

Next weekend the transmission should be back on the Montero and I can start doing the front motor service.

Last edited:

PacS14

Adventurer
It says to update your account, hopefully that doesn't not mean pay, or otherwise I will have to look for a new place too.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
It says to update your account, hopefully that doesn't not mean pay, or otherwise I will have to look for a new place too.

The "update my account" means if I want to share my pics 3rd party I have to pay $39.99 a month. Um...........NO:ugh:

 Plus 50 offers 50GB of Storage and No Linking or 3rd Party Hosting
 Plus 100 offers 100GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking and No 3rd Party Hosting

 Plus 500 offers 500GB of Storage, Unlimited Linking, Unlimited Bandwidth, and 3rd Party Hosting*

Outdooraholic

Adventurer
I just upload directly on the forum. Downsides are 10 picture per post limit and pictures can only been seen by people with an EP account.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Its been awhile since my last update, just been busy and somewhat lazy trying to find a new place to host pics. I decided to use Flickr so now I keep this thread updated now.

Pulled the original Tcase shifter and the red ball took a massive dump which I knew because it was hard trying to shift the Tcase prior.

New white ball shifter and oem gasket.

While the transmission is out its a great opportunity to replace the rear main seal, rear cam cover O-rings, and coolant crossover pipe gaskets.

Transmission got new OEM front pump seal and both transfer case output shaft seals and now ready to go in.

Ended the day...good amount accomplished, transmission all bolted back up. I just need to replace the filter w/ gasket and will bolt the exhaust. Montero ended up on top of a totaled Corvette.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Time to start with the motor...this time take care of the top end stuff.

From my previous experience from my other cars when I did initial maintenance after taking ownership gaskets were a pain to remove because they were hard and brittle. I knew the previous owner took care of this Montero as when I did the Carfax there was a long maintenance history. It was confirmed as every seal and gasket was soft and easy to remove which was a delight to not to fight to remove them.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
The intake runners and plenum had a nice layer of carbon buildup once I removed them. I clean the ports of the intake on the heads as much as I could but the plenum and intakes I decided to really clean them well.

I decided to use the over cleaner method to get rid of all that carbon buildup. I used about 3 cans of Oven cleaner , probably could get away with 2 cans..but I sprayed generously. You may need to wire brush to loosen to move stubborn parts of the buildup and reach deeper in the runners.

Before

After

Before

After