Mrgalantguys 1998 Montero Winter package aka "Groot" Build & Adventure thread.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
So all the seals from Mitsu was going to be $80+ for the injectors...I wasn't too keen on spending that much. After some research I found that Beck Arnley was pretty reputable so only spend $15 for all the seals from Rock Auto.
Groot by grimgs, on Flickr

Looks like the last maintenance done whomever put in Autolite Platinum plugs. Motor has exactly 224k and looks like the plugs all look normal from wear. NGK Platinums are going in to replace these Autolites.

Can't tell if the thermostat on the left is aftermarket or oem but looks very close to the OEM thermostat on the right.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Installed all the cleaned top end parts and new gaskets and seals along with new NGK platinum plugs and wire set and new coolant hoses.

Next to finally do front engine service with new Tbelt, pulleys, water pump and crank and cam seals and finish putting the exhaust and replace all the fluids.

Getting close to having this sucker road ready. :wings:

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
I was going to keep the stock wheels but the chrome is flaking off badly on 3 of them. My bro in law had a buddy doing a purge clean out in his storage unit and told me about some wheels that might fit my Montero. Sure enough they were 6x5.5 with a 108mm center bore and 15x10 with a 4" backspacing. They are not perfect but for $40 I can look past that.

Not sure if I am going to keep them chrome or paint them...either or, they are going on Groot.

Going to repaint a couple pieces and taking the opportunity to really clean nooks and crannies of dirt buildup over the years this coming weekend.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
This past weekend I make a lot of progress to getting Groot ready for daily driving. I pressure washed the motorbay which wasn't that bad. most of the stuff was just layered dirt over the years...just a few spots of old oil and dirt where the notorious valve cover gaskets would leak.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
I won't lie...I was a bit nervous doing the front case stuff after reading threads and posts of nightmare of some guys with broken crank bolts, seized crank pulleys, half moon keys or guide pins issues, etc etc. Either or..I had to do it but I had some confidence because of the previous owners diligent work to keep maintenance up to date and the work I did up to this point, I didn't have any issues replacing parts. As I removed parts do the the water pump and Tbelt stuff...it was smooth sailing, everything was easy to remove and remarkably a clean well maintained motor with 224k on it. My only issue was the cam seals...they put up a fight, but were able to be removed.

So here are some pics of the process:

Old water pump removed and cleaned and prepped the surface for the new Aisin water pump.

Removed old crank seal for the new oem one.

New crank seal installed and water pump.

Cam seals weren't OEM (Oem is brown) and didn't want to budge especially the drivers side. We had to drill a small guide hole and screw in a self tapper screw till it grabbed the seal and pulled the screw head with a longnose plier and it came right out.

All the timing parts installed: Aisin water pump, OEM tensioner, Gates timing belt w/ idler and tensioner pulleys

New OEM harmonic balancer along with updated crank bolt and washer also installed.

Putting everything back together

New Gates accessory belts.

Wasn't able to really finish up on Saturday, but Thursday Groot should be ready and running as I still have to fill up the trans and diffs/tcase with fluid.

Jeffer949

Observer
Question. How did you find a Montero at a dealership all the way across country? Im looking for something similar and i use search tempest but dealers dont normally post on there.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Question. How did you find a Montero at a dealership all the way across country? Im looking for something similar and i use search tempest but dealers dont normally post on there.

I used apps/sites like Autotrader, Cars.com but the one I used and found my Montero and actually a couple prospects was Autolist. The only reason I found out about them is because it was recommended by Google play after I downloaded Autotrader & Cars.com apps on my Galaxy Tab.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Not much of a fan of chrome so making changes to de chrome stuff on the Montero. First are the wheels which I got for $40 which aren't perfect and I didn't want to spend too much to make them look perfect as I am not even sure I am going to keep them for the long haul. Ran into 2 products that "blackout" chrome which only requires surface prep and paint over. Rustoleum and Duplicolor make similar products but decided to try to duplicolor stuff. Not show quality stuff..but did the job, though I should of stopped at 3 layers instead of 5 layers.

I also got the new tires for Groot from a buddy of mine. Hooked me up with a set of RBP (Rolling Big Power) tires for a deal I couldn't pass up. They are 32x11.5x15 Repulser M/T...I have another one I still have to go back and install for a spare.

Tires mounted on the wheels.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
This was a good weekend...filled engine with fresh Vavoline Max Life HM synthetic oil 10w30, new coolant, all new AMSOIL gear oil and Tcase fluid and ATF. Test drove the truck for a bit and ran smooth and shifted like butter.

All that is left is install a couple more exterior parts from JDM land and put back the interior and its ready to drive.

Cleaned the trans pan real good before putting it back on

New Wix fuel filter installed

The grill showed it age through the years...so I sprayed a few coats of Rustoleum trim paint. (Link to product http://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/auto/specialty-paints/trim-and-bumper-paint/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles