Mrgalantguys 1998 Montero Winter package aka "Groot" Build & Adventure thread.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Just reporting in ...we made it through Hurricane Irma, but our house is going to need a new roof which is fine because we were actually planning to put a new roof next year. Our street got flooded about knee high and the lake behind our house almost crested which worried me a bit. Me and my wifes Montero made it out of the storm ok..other than something hit my windshield and cracked it. I had the Monteros reversed backed in close to our garage door to help divert any direct wind hitting the garage door

Glad to hear you're safe and got away from it mostly trouble free.

Just picked up a Gen 2.5 myself and this thread is total inspiration.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
The Montero is looking good, can't wait to see more pics! It makes me all warm and fuzzy inside that we have this community of dedicated Monty preservers.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Sorry for the long update on the build but its been a crazy couple of weeks. I finally brought Groot home from my best friends shop where its been since April doing all the maintenance overhaul stuff. Its about a 48 mile trip from where his shop is at to my house so it was a good test on after everything that was done to it. I won't lie...I was a bit nervous as I am almost always after working on my cars. It made the trip without any issues at all...even run in a pretty decent downpour. A/C is freaking cold in this thing and engine and transmission operated smooth as butter.

I still have a few things to do but I just wanted to get the Montero home.

Ordered a new OEM radiator cap.
Groot by grimgs, on Flickr

Luso Overland recovery point getting ready for install.

Put some fuel in the tank for the drive home. Yes...my dad owns a 05 Gen 3

Groot is finally home parked next to wifeys Gen 3.

This was Labor day weekend, weekend right before Hurricane Irma decided to visit florida. Didn't really get to enjoy and savor driving the Montero as that week was all about preparing for the hurricane.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Since the Galants are in the garage the Monteros had to be outside. I reversed parked both of them as close as I can to the garage door to help divert direct wind from hitting the garage door.

Hurricane Irma by grimgs, on Flickr

My new lakefront property day after Irma hit

The lake behind our house is what concerned me as if we continued to get more rain it would of crested, but fortunately it didn't. This is the highest its ever been since we moved to this house in 2010, its usually about 6 feet lower from where you see the shoreline in this pic.

Groot did suffer some damage from the hurricane which I didn't notice till a couple days after it hit when it got hot again. Something hit the windshield which was just probably a small nick and when the weather got hot again it cracked. I should have a new windshield this weekend...fortunately its covered.

SONICMASD

Adventurer
Damn, those CF accents are looking really sharp. On the emblem, bumper, and did you put it on the plate around the 3 gauge cluster too!?

Also, those wheels came out real nice! Can't wait to see a full profile shot of the rig.

I second the excellent documentation of part numbers on here, it's going to be a big help to everyone.

Quick tip - Be sure to paint the supplied hardware that came with the LO Recovery Point since it does not come with a strong anti-rust coating and will get ugly quickly.

A few questions for you:

1. Why did you do such a big engine refresh if the previous owner was really good about maintenance? Just a precaution to start fresh with a new vehicle or was it due, etc.?

2. Off topic but I'm curious, what's so great about Galants? I don't know anything about them at all...other than they routinely rank near the bottom of critics' sedan ratings but then again, those people probably ranked our beloved Monteros the same way.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
1. Why did you do such a big engine refresh if the previous owner was really good about maintenance? Just a precaution to start fresh with a new vehicle or was it due, etc.?

Even though I was very comfortable with the long service history from the Carfax, I didn't see a recent history when the timing belt was done and the Nissan dealership i bought it from couldn't confirm when it was done either since they took over maintenance for the owner when he/she owned it. Since I was going to remove everything to do the timing belt and water pump...my mentality is I might as well do it and know that I did it. Plus I am a big fan of using OEM seals and gaskets and other vital components and not sure what quality parts were used when the maintenance was done. Basically peace of mind that I did the maintenance and the kind of parts that meet my standard were used.

2. Off topic but I'm curious, what's so great about Galants? I don't know anything about them at all...other than they routinely rank near the bottom of critics' sedan ratings but then again, those people probably ranked our beloved Monteros the same way.
The last generation Galant was actually ground up project of MMCUSA...not Japan MMC. Not to say it wasn't a good car at all...but it just didn't have much of what some Japan would produce. Galants were pretty cool cars...lots of racing heritage and believe it or not won lots of automotive awards in Mitsubishis golden years. All Eclipses were based of Galant chassis and the Lancer Evo was born when Mitsubishi took the drivetrain and 4G63t from the E39a 6th gen Galant VR4 and put it on the Lancer and they even had All Wheel steering before the 3000GT/GTO VR4.

I currently have a Galant VR4 1948/2000.
Stitch by grimgs, on Flickr

My other Galant is a 7th gen and its getting a DOHC head swap from a 4G63t on my 4G64 bottom end and AWD swap from 2nd gen Eclipse which bolts up, just need longer bolts for the rear subframe and brackets for the driveshaft but there are spots already there on the Galant to weld them in.
Night fury by grimgs, on Flickr

haolepinoy

Incomplete Idiot
Love the "EVOZERO" plate on the GVR4, and that 7th gen is gorgeous.

I saw a good one for sale near me recently. I sent it to my wife with an "early birthday present idea" tag. She politely reminded me that our driveway currently has more "project" cars than running cars...plus I've spent all our Mitsubishi money this year on our poor Montero. I've always had a soft spot for them, so maybe one day the time and money will be right.

Groot's looking great too, btw. Enjoying the build.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Thank you guys for the love...though there are several Gen 2.5 builds here that have inspired my build. My build is a light to medium overlander so I am not going too crazy right now...really just want to have a vehicle that I can go off road confidently for camping and some trail fun in the near future with my wife and kids.

Swank Force...my buddy actually swapped a 6G75 into his 8th gen galant and 5spd swap. He did a lot of quality work on it like the wire tuck and some research and development to maximize what a stock 6g75 can do. I believe he was knocking on the door of 300whp n/a. The project took a hiatus since he bought his Evo and started his business.

Last edited:

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
One of the foglights were out so while attempting to replace the fog light bulbs the oem mounting screws where very "fragile" when removing and already stripped the Philips head on the 1st one. Used a old trusty technique of PB blaster and my torch to heat up the mounting screws. This trick made it extremely easy to remove the old mounting screws..and went ahead and replaced them with allan head screws with new lock washers.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Its been a few weeks since I brought Groot home but the weekend after I brought it home Hurricane Irma hit and have been busy since with home, family and work.

Here it is finally..."Groot 1.0" as its still going through some upgrades as my light/medium overland build.

List of things done in phase 1.0:
-Front case service (Gates timing belt kit, Aisin water pump, OEM cam and front crank seal and timing belt tensioner, OEM harmonic balancer, OEM updated crank bolt,)
-Top service overhaul (All OEM intake/plenum gaskets, EGR gasket, OEM Valve cover gaskets, OEM cooling systems gaskets and Orings)
-NGK Platinum plugs
-NGK Spark wire set
-Beck/Arnley fuel injector gaskets/Orings
-New OEM Y-pipe exhaust gaskets
-White ball tcase shifter upgrade w/ new oem gasket
-OEM front pump seal
-OEM tcase output seal front and rear
-Amsoil synthetic gear lube for transfer case
-Amsoil synthetic gear lube for front and rear differentials
-Ceramic brake pads
-WIX fuel filter
-Undercarriage coated with rust prevention and 3m undercoated