Mrgalantguys 1998 Montero Winter package aka "Groot" Build & Adventure thread.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
Follow @itsaboutfam on Instagram

Current Build/Modification list
As of 2/2024

Powerplant
-Refreshed 6G74 with all new top end OEM Mitsubishi gaskets
-Aisin Water pump
-Gates Timing belt kit with tension and idler pulleys.
-OEM Rear and Front main seals
-OEM Coolant Orings and gaskets
-OEM thermostat and radiator cap
-Gates accessories belts
-NGK spark plug wires
-NGK Platinum plugs
-New OEM harmonic balancer
-Updated OEM crank bolt
-Beck Arnley fuel injector seals and Orings
-OEM top end gaskets replaced.
-Rodded out OEM radiator as of 6/16/18

Suspension
- New OEM Mitsubishi Idler arm with Adventure Driven Design Kingpin upgrade
- Sanki 555 outer tie rods
- Sanki 555 inner tie rods
- Sanki 555 Pitman arm
- Siberian UCA bushings
- Siberian LCA bushings
- Siberian front sway bar bushings
- Siberian rear sway bar bushings
- Siberian rear endlink bushings
- Siberian rear trailing arm bushings
- Adventure Driven Designs adjustable Panhard bar w/ chromoly end links
- Dobinsons front shocks (GS43-082S)
- Dobinsons rear shocks *big bore* (GS43-788)
- Dobinsons rear coil springs 100kd constant load (C43-043V)
- Sway Away Torsion bars (1737)

Brakes / Wheels & Tires
- 15x8 -13 offset Work Deerfield 3 piece wheels (Restored and refinished with gloss black lip / satin black face)
- 33x12.5r15 Kenda Klever A/T2
- B-line performance full SS DOT approved brake line kit
- Centric front and rear rotors
- Powerstop Z23 Evolution Carbon Fiber/Ceramic Front brake pads

Drivetrain
- Gen 2 SR 94-96 "Whiteball" tcase shifter swap
- New OEM Output shaft seals
- New OEM Front pump seal
- AMSOIL synthetic ATF
- AMSOIL gear oil for Tcase and front/rear differentials
- New OEM transmission filter & gasket
- Toastyfab installed Siberian Bushing transmission mounts
- AISIN FHM-002 Manual hubs

Interior / Exterior
- Ultra Gauge EM Plus v1.4
- Kenwood double din touchscreen headunit
- Rockford Fosgate 4" dash speakers
- Rockford Fosgate 6 1/2 door speakers
- JDM Pajero Triple gauge (Compass/Inclinometer/Altimeter)
- JDM Pajero "Super Select 4WD" indicator plate
- JDM/Asian market Aluminum front skid plate with "Pajero" lazer cut
-JDM KOITO corner lens
-JDM Pajero rear spoiler
- JDM OEM Mitsubishi Pajero fender sidemarker lens
- JDM OEM Mitsubishi PAJERO rear license plate cover emblem.
- JDM "Clear lens" aftermarket taillights
- Liebao Heijinggang Taillights (Show use)
- Wellvisors window visors
- JDM hood protector
- Pajero Evolution front grille *replica* (With OEM Mitsubishi emblem and Ralliart emblem)
- CKEGUO Underhood LED light
- Blisterboi 3D printed cup holder *Replaces OEM astray*
- Blisterboi 3D printed dual cup holder *Center console*
- Ficbox Keyless entry system

Lighting
- LEDvillage "Black Beast" 921/915/T15 bulbs for 3rd brake light.
- LED Projector 3" retrofit
- LED Samlight Amber Egg pod lights retrofit to replace OEM foglights.
- LED SMD interior bulbs replaced
- LED EndPage 1156 Amber Yellow, Super Bright 3030 Chips with Projector (For front turn signals)
- LED SiriusLED Canbus error free Size 921 Super Bright 3030 SMD Xenon White 6000k (For driving lights in corner JDM lens)
- LED SiriusLED Canbus error free Size 921 Super Bright 3030 SMD Xenon White 6000k (For backup lights on JDM taillights)

- LED AMAZENAR Type 1156 BA15S Amber/Yellow LED Light (For rear turn signals)
- iJDMTOY (1) 3-Pin CF-13 Electronic Flasher Relay Fix For LED Turn Signal Light Bulbs (Replaced OEM flasher relay to fix "Hyperflash" for LED signals)
- LED CoLight Rob2 series (Amber with diffused lens) *Ditch lights*
- LED CoLight G2 series flush mount lights *In place of OEM Factory backup lens on USDM rear bumper* (Independently wired)
- LED CoLight 7" Defender series *Spot lights*
- Trigger One Bluetooth relay *Ditch lights*

Trail accessories/Recovery/Camp Equipement
- SoFlobumpers ARB style roof rack with gutter mounts.
- Jaos half face Bull Bar
- LUSO Overland recovery point hitch
- Vault recovery shackle
- Yakima shovel/axe mounting brackets
- POTEK 750W Power inverter
- Fiskars 375581 Axe
- Krazy Beaver Shovel w/ guard
- X-Bull Traction pads 3rd Gen (Olive)
- 4122 Inc Hitch slider
- Rhino USA reciever hitch lock
- J20 rear ladder
- Self built rear door folding table
- Gzilla billet awning mounts *triple*
- ARQ 4wd 270 degree awning w/ LED lighting.

As some of you know I used to own a 2000 Montero Sport XLS 4WD that I recently sold in March. I loved it..but it was a bit small and wasn't going to fit my needs in the near future on what I wanted to do with my family and future business endeavor. I was actually in the search for a Gen 2 or 2.5 prior to purchasing my Montero Sport but couldn't find a decent one and needed a vehicle so I decided on the Montero Sport.

Montero sport by grimgs, on Flickr
Montero sport by grimgs, on Flickr

I bought it in 2014 for $4k and I sold it for $4500...so I made some money driving it for 3 years. :victory:

I could go on and on about my Mitsus I have owned but I will just do a run down list of what Mitsus I owned in order:
-95 Galant S
-96 Galant S (still own)
-93 Mirage
-91 Galant VR4 (still own)
-91 Eclipse GSt
-99 Galant ES
-05 Lancer Evo
-04 Endeavor XLS
-97 Eclipse GSX
-02 Montero Limited (still own)
-98 Galant ES
-96 Galant S
-00 Montero Sport
-98 Montero (new)

Ok now...lets fast forward and focus on why I finally got a Montero. Like previously state above..I sold my Montero Sport, don't get me wrong...I really liked it but I felt it was a little too small and wasn't really the Montero I wanted. I have liked the Montero/Pajero for awhile..since 1999 in fact when I went to the Philippines and rode in my uncles LWB Pajero turbo diesel majority of the time I was there for a month. I was wowed by its ability to tackle the 3rd world like quality roads in the Philippines with no effort and how it just navigated and maneuvered through mountain passes in not so ideal conditions. I would say the seed was planted back then..and stayed dormant for many years as I was young and owning a SUV wasn't nowhere in my scope yet. Not till me and my wife decided to get a SUV as we were planning to have a family mainly because of the practicality of one and my wife NOT wanting to drive a minivan we finally bought our 1st SUV a 2004 Endeavor. After a bad accident and that got totaled..we got her into a 2002 Montero Limited and that is when that seed started to grow. After driving it for awhile and spotting a 98-00 Montero randomly I fell in love with those blister fenders and then brought back memories of my uncles mid 90's Gen 2 from the Philippines and my urge to own one started to grow even more. The end of 2016..it didn't help joining FB groups, and seeing photos on Instagram...I decided to finally pursue and own a Gen 2.5 of my own.

I wanted a winter package one with minimal to no rust, in good condition and really wanted to find one white. I happened to find one at a Nissan dealer in Washington state with 200k miles 1 owner, no accidents, with a long carfax history of maintenance mostly done by the the Nissan dealer I bought it from. I had a buddy look at it in person and test drive it and other than the common oil leak from the valve gaskets..its a perfect running Montero. Finally finalized the sale this week and the auto transport is scheduled to pick it up Monday this coming week. I was able to negotiate a cash deal...basically "I can wire the money now at this price", so I got it $2k out the door.

1998 Mitsubishi Montero Winter package w/ adjustable suspension

Groot by grimgs, on Flickr

Last edited:

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
There was a delay on getting my Montero picked up...I guess if its not near or in a fairly populated city, it may take some time. The dealer that I bought my Montero is 3 hours away from Tacoma, WA and Spokane, WA. I finally got a confirmation on Friday evening that the transporter was going to pick up my Montero on Saturday 5/13/17. The salesman I was dealing with sent me pics when they were loading up it up. I will post pics soon.

MrGalantguy

Mitsubishi Loyalist
The Montero arrived on Thursday 5/18 around 5:30pm but I only had time check it in. My dad went to the ER earlier that day and right after the auto transport called me on their ETA on their arrival. I had the truck dropped off at my best friends shop which is about 30 mins away from where I live.

This past Saturday I finally got a chance to look over the Montero. Part of me being able to negotiate the price was because of "ticking noise" from the engine and a transmission ATF leak. They didn't want to put more labor time into fixing those issues so that helped me get the price I wanted.

-Lifter Tick : Since the Montero sat soo long in the lot when they started it it had lifter tick. When I got it after a few cycles of it running it disappeared.
-ATF leak : We are going to pull the transmission this weekend to diagnose, we are needed to pull it anyways because we are doing a rear main seal.

In general the interior and exterior are in excellent condition. Paint still has clearcoat and no dings or dents on the exterior. The front has normal chips here and there from most likely rocks from the roads but that's a easy fix.

All I need to replace is:
-Inside drivers side door panel
-Drivers side a/c vent
-Center a/c vents
-A pillar trim bezel

Finally the keys are in hand and even has the OEM (I guess dealer installed from what I read) keyless entry.

Last edited:
I live in Wenatchee and almost checked out this vehicle awhile back, but never did because of the mileage. Looks like you talked them down a good amount on the price. Does it have a rear locker? I didn't see the orange sticker on the trans tunnel shroud.

PacS14

Adventurer
No orange sticker, but the button is there. Since he said Winter package I guess that seals​that deal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles