Gas storage option

Kerensky97

Xterra101
Offroad I try to avoid anything that gives me a high center of gravity. Plus my arms aren't what they used to be, I just put sleeping bags and other soft items up high.

But I agree it is a cool option, although I'd rather have it trailered next to my ATVs or Side-by-Side and be part of my "basecamp" setup.

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
Can't see how it would be sloshing around as it would be either full or empty. Just an alternative to multiple cans on the roof.

rayra

Expedition Leader
Use it kind of like an aux / drop tank on an airplane. Highway driving to your destination, no problem. As soon as consume 15gal offroad you drain the roof tank into your main tank. No different than using MFCs stored on a rack.

Winterpeg

Use a marine tank... the plastic boat kind. Bolt it / ratchet strap it and make it secure. Use a strap larger than you think you will ever need... if you have a fender bender the last thing you need is a projectile of 5 gallons of gas.

Then use a simple shaker siphon to transfer it to your tank. Store it close enough to your tank that you will never have to lift it full. I've used the pump siphons and they were nothing but problems. Keep it simple.

All the points regarding raising your centre of gravity are valid points though. Be very cognizant of what you have up there.

I eventually bit the bullet and bought some rotopax for my bumper... love 'em.

P3280184.jpg

rayra

Expedition Leader
was that your 416 trailer flipped on a dirt road? Maybe you should forget about putting more fluid weight up on the roof of anything.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
So here's a question: Aren't you supposed to put the can on the ground before fueling? Because fueling a 15 gallon tank (@ 7 lbs/gallon that's about 100lbs) and then hoisting that SOB onto the roof would not be fun.
I don't quite understand static electricity but my understanding is that you never fill a fuel can in the back of a pickup, for instance, because of the possibility of a static discharge creating a spark. Wouldn't that be an issue if you wanted to try and refuel this while it is still on the roof or is there some way you can prevent a static spark?
I see those plastic "Marine" fuel tanks at sporting goods stores and I have often wondered about strapping one to the roof. But my concern about filling it would be my issue.

Winterpeg

So here's a question: Aren't you supposed to put the can on the ground before fueling? Because fueling a 15 gallon tank (@ 7 lbs/gallon that's about 100lbs) and then hoisting that SOB onto the roof would not be fun.
I don't quite understand static electricity but my understanding is that you never fill a fuel can in the back of a pickup, for instance, because of the possibility of a static discharge creating a spark. Wouldn't that be an issue if you wanted to try and refuel this while it is still on the roof or is there some way you can prevent a static spark?
I see those plastic "Marine" fuel tanks at sporting goods stores and I have often wondered about strapping one to the roof. But my concern about filling it would be my issue.

I personally have never heard of anyone catching a fuel tank on fire...
There are also signs at gas stations that you aren't allowed to use a cell phone while fueling too. (I have seen people light cigarettes nearby with no explosions happening)

I think there's being cautious as a company (the whole CYA thing).... and being cautious as a regular person.... as 2 totally separate things.
As a company (gas stations) you have to be over-cautious.

The only thing I was concerned with when I was filling my big tank up top was spilling onto my roof. I had the tank in a rubber dry bag as well to keep the connections free of ice and crap so that helped a bit.

IMG-20111126-00231.jpg

Attachments

• IMG-20111126-00231.jpg
    IMG-20111126-00231.jpg
    531.6 KB · Views: 23

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
I guess you're right, as long as you grab hold of a metal part of the vehicle when climbing up that should discharge any static between you and the vehicle.
Back in the 1980s when I was in the National Guard I remember that when we would pull up to the fuel trucks to have our M151 Jeeps refueled the fuelers would clip a little cable to the jeep before they started pumping gas. The cable was to discharge any static between them and the vehicle they were fueling up.
Considering that the fuel tank for the M151 sat right under the driver's butt that was a good thing!
That said, IMO 105 lbs of fuel + the weight of the carrier is an awful lot of weight to be carrying on a roof rack! I would probably not carry more than maybe 5 or 6 gallons up there. My current method for fuel storage is 2 x 3 gallon RotoPax cans strapped to the roof rack.

Winterpeg

In winter here we have to be extra careful with the super dry air when it's really cold... so I fully agree with not re-attending the cab of your vehicle when fueling.

I agree with all said about the weight up top. I didn't like it. That's all I had at the time though. I upgraded my bumper and got the rotopax which I feel way better about.... and it looks better too! Lol. Although now I am looking at options to reduce weight in the back... it never ends, lol.

Kevin108

Explorer
126.2 lbs when full. The size plus the weight make it nothing to sneeze at.

I'd like to find one that only held 5 gallons.

workingonit71

Aspirantes ad Adventure
that's not rain falling

No, That much flammable liquid sloshing around above the center of gravity.
  • Not to mention the possibility of springing a leak, at one or more points. I've carried air tanks, under pressure, for years, and have had all start leaking at some time or another. They're similar in design to this tank, so I wouldn't want to carry it overhead, spewing/dripping gasoline on my vehicle (and me). Maybe in the bed of a truck, or on a rear bumper set-up, just never overhead.
  • extra gasoline.jpg I've had (...) leaks at all 3 points

mep1811

Gentleman Adventurer
was that your 416 trailer flipped on a dirt road? Maybe you should forget about putting more fluid weight up on the roof of anything.

Flipped where ? And how does that have to do with this unrelated post?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior