Solar panel storage mod

Quietrover

Before I go reinventing the wheel...

I was staring at my Chaser trying to think of ways to store the solar panel so I didn't have to keep opening and closing the tent. I came up with two idea's.

A. Weld together some sort of frame that mounted to the Thule rack and positioned the panel just in front of the RTT at an angle so that it would act as an air damn/deflector. Other than the potential aerodynamic benefit it could be used with out having to take it off. A quick remove system and plexiglass would also be incorporated somehow.

B. Making a suspended droor like system from the Thule mounts between the RTT and the top of the trailer.

I have already completed my ritual walk through of Ace and Home Depot seeking inspiration and parts but didn't find much.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Joe

Gear

Explorer, Overland Certified OC0020
I like B - My thoughts are suspend it under the roof top tent with 2 long pieces of C channel going from front to back. Put a stopper of some sort on the front and a removable keeper at the back. Simple slide it in thru the rear. Some sort of security is necessary.

You could also build a basic box out of 1/4" plywood. Simply bolt it to the bottom of the Thule rack. Spray it with a black bed liner product. My guess is the box would weight 15 pounds.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

Ursidae69

Expedition Leader
Gear said:
I like B - My thoughts are suspend it under the roof top tent with 2 long pieces of C channel going from front to back. Put a stopper of some sort on the front and a removable keeper at the back. Simple slide it in thru the rear. Some sort of security is necessary.

You could also build a basic box out of 1/4" plywood. Simply bolt it to the bottom of the Thule rack. Spray it with a black bed liner product. My guess is the box would weight 15 pounds.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

I've been working up a similar design in my head to store my panel too, except I am envisioning it inside the shell, up tight against the ceiling. Must think more... :beer: :beer:

ntsqd

Heretic Car Camper
Regardless of where it is mounted, what I'm seeing is one end having a 'V' receiving end detail with outboard angle ramps for lateral control, and the other end having one of either of these types of clamps arranged to push the front of the panel into the 'V's.

Vertical Handle Toggle Clamp
013150vtct_p.gif

Horizontal Handle Toggle Clamp
005_51tc.gif

Note that De-Sta-Co makes very similar clamps, either will work.

Martyn

Supporting Sponsor, Overland Certified OC0018
Are you designing it so you can gather power while on the road?

Or is it just a method of storage when not in use or traveling, allowing for easy deployment?

Quietrover

Martyn,

Plan A was for both considerations.

Plan B was for the latter.

I'm well into the R&D of plan B right now. Will probably go into production mode sometime tomorrow:) .

Later

Joe

Rezarf <><

Explorer
Quietrover said:
I have already completed my ritual walk through of Ace and Home Depot seeking inspiration and parts but didn't find much.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

Joe

Joe, cool idea, the only thing I will add to this thread is start walking the virtual isle of McMaster.com you will truly be inspired!

Drew

telwyn

Adventurer
I'm no solar expert, but a friend of mine from high school runs www.thesolarpowerstore.com and he told me a while back that an advantage of flexible solar panels over rigid panels is that a flexible panel will continue to generate power even if it gets a hole in it (for example from a rock). I'd be fearful that a rigid panel used as an air dam might be susceptible to damage.

Quietrover

telwyn said:
I'm no solar expert, but a friend of mine from high school runs www.thesolarpowerstore.com and he told me a while back that an advantage of flexible solar panels over rigid panels is that a flexible panel will continue to generate power even if it gets a hole in it (for example from a rock). I'd be fearful that a rigid panel used as an air dam might be susceptible to damage.

Plan A was going to involve a sheet of plexiglass for protection and either be of drop in with a hinged plexiglass door or slide out design.

I did have the thought of somehow sewing/gluing a couple of flexible panels on the RTT cover... Talk about a multi-tasker!:chef:

Edit: Skip that fantasy, I just saw the prices of flexible panels!:smileeek:

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles