Mounting LED Light Bar to Roof

jacksond

Hi All,
In the next couple of weeks, I would like to get a light bar installed to my Gobi Roof Rack. Mounting to the rack shouldn't be an issue but wiring from the roof has me a little concerned. Has anyone done this before, if so, how did you accomplish the wiring? I'd like to have some type of switch in the cab, as well, where I can switch it on and off independent of the other lights.
Cheers

thebigblue

Adventurer
I´ve seen people run the wire inside the plastic piece that runs on each side of the windshield from the gutter - plenty off room there. Alternative is to run wire inside a roof-acces latter - I did this for my solarpanel.

jacksond

I´ve seen people run the wire inside the plastic piece that runs on each side of the windshield from the gutter - plenty off room there. Alternative is to run wire inside a roof-acces latter - I did this for my solarpanel.

What about running the wire into the cockpit? Is it easy to get the wires through the fire wall/did you mount a switch inside?

MetalDog

Observer
What about running the wire into the cockpit? Is it easy to get the wires through the fire wall/did you mount a switch inside?

yes, it is very easy to run wires into the cockpit. There is a weird looking black rubber bag opening that is zip tied closed. Just cut the zip tie and plumb the wired down directly into the footwell. Mine had some insulation in there that I had to temporarily remove to get the cables into the cabin.

jacksond

yes, it is very easy to run wires into the cockpit. There is a weird looking black rubber bag opening that is zip tied closed. Just cut the zip tie and plumb the wired down directly into the footwell. Mine had some insulation in there that I had to temporarily remove to get the cables into the cabin.

Thank you! Got my light bar in today, going to try to wire it up this weekend!

jacksond

Here's a little updated..
Went ahead and got the light bar installed atop my Gobi Rack. Fits like a charm. Didn't want to mess up any electronics so I called my Mercedes dealer and they referred me to a custom auto shop that they send all of their aftermarket work to. I'm very happy with the work they did!
The light bar is a spot flood combo. It shines very bright straight down the road but isn't quite as helpful during turns.. Good for going down a trail but will need some spots for looking to the sides. Maybe a couple cube lights around the hood to fix this issue??

Let me know what you guys think!

gj.jpg

lb.jpg

Don Raptor

Observer
looks awesome! Did you end up putting it down the ladder thru the floor at the battery?
What kind of light bar did you buy?

Malte

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles