Gearing for Monteros - List

jaccox23

Adventurer
everything is supposed to function exactly like factory except the low range. that's the only part that will be different vs. the stock gears. So shift on the fly and all the things will be exactly the same except for the speed the driveshafts spin in low range. Should be super nice with the 4.90's probably feel like a ride down a rough driveway when traversing something challenging now.

FullMonte

Adventurer
I just took my Monte to Carnegie SVRA, everything was working fine, I definitely felt a difference with power but after trying to climb this one hill I have to bring it back to the shop. The 4x4 lights aren't working, the middle light is blinking and green tire lights aren't on.. so I don't know if my 4wd works.. So cross my fingers that I get it working for the Expo trip..

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Toasty

Looking for that thing i just had in my hand...
I've run Mark's gears in a Gen 1 and a Gen 2, they are pretty fantastic. Work exactly like stock except effortless offroad and tons of control up and downhill, pretty fantastic. Also they are quiet unlike the Jeep gears.

FullMonte

Adventurer
I guess all I needed was to show up at the mechanic's, because everything worked after "loosening" up the gears, which consisted of changing up the gears in neutral and rolling the Monte, (I swore I did that before coming​ here).. Haha! AZ here I come!

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Monty85

Observer
Hello all,

I am new here and would like to ask about the R&P soucing options. I have '01 Limited running with 33'' tires. Now I am looking to swap from 4.3 to 4.9
Are 01-02 XLS models the only souce for these gears ? Or would 4.9 from Montero sport fit as well ?

When I checked this website , p/n MR124858 is for 03~04 Montero Sports rear ring gear and vehicle fitment shows 2001 Limited3.5 V6 model as well.

If Montero sports gear set would swap over to my '01 Limited, it would be great help since 01-02 XLS model parts are not available around my area as my search goes.

Thanks for the input in advance.

jaccox23

Adventurer
pretty positive you need from the XLS model. Good news is that it should be drop your diff and bolt up the new diff. So no R&P needed just diff swaps

Monty85

Observer
Thanks Jaccox, I agree part from XLS would be direct swap.
I was thinking to get ARB locker also at the same time, so if things are goiing to be taken apart, I thouht I would just get 4.9 gears from Montero Sports since it is easy to find compared to XLS. Perhaps also saves good amount on cost.

Offroadmuch

Explorer
Thanks Jaccox, I agree part from XLS would be direct swap.
I was thinking to get ARB locker also at the same time, so if things are goiing to be taken apart, I thouht I would just get 4.9 gears from Montero Sports since it is easy to find compared to XLS. Perhaps also saves good amount on cost.

So I can grab 4.90 gears for front and rear on my 2003 from a Sport? that would be worth a junk yard trip with some tools.

jaccox23

Adventurer
So I can grab 4.90 gears for front and rear on my 2003 from a Sport? that would be worth a junk yard trip with some tools.
I don't believe the rings are the same diameter or even teeth count. What Monty85 was asking is if his gears "had" to come from a gen 3 XLS and I believe the answer is yes.

Monty85

Observer
I don't believe the rings are the same diameter or even teeth count. What Monty85 was asking is if his gears "had" to come from a gen 3 XLS and I believe the answer is yes.

Yes that is what I wanted to confirm ... If it HAS to come from Montero XLS, I understand this has been done and also is hard to find in my area.

If Montero Sport's 4.9 gear will fit 3rd Gen Limited, it would so much easier to source the part.
Only reason I thought of this is I saw the link I posted earlier.

http://www.mitsubishipartswarehouse.com/oe-mitsubishi/mr124858

This part is for Montero Sports but Vehicle fitment shows other Montero's as as well

May be I have to be a Guinea pig here :)

Offroadmuch

Explorer
The fronts are the same gears on the Sports and Monteros.

Ok so options:
1. Get used front and rear diffs with 4.90's out of a 2001-2002 Montero 4 speed XLS with LSD.
2. Get 4.90 gears out of the previously mentioned 2001-2002 Montero XLS but this would be more work than just doing the diff swap.
3. Get 4.90 gears out of a 2003-2004 Montero SPORT and instal into your Gen 3 fullsize.
4. Buy new OEM Mitsubishi 4.90 ring and pinion gears and install. Two sets, front/rear, needed at about 325.00 each.

Let me know if I missed and details and I will edit.

Monty85

Observer
Ok so options:
1. Get used front and rear diffs with 4.90's out of a 2001-2002 Montero 4 speed XLS with LSD.
2. Get 4.90 gears out of the previously mentioned 2001-2002 Montero XLS but this would be more work than just doing the diff swap.
3. Get 4.90 gears out of a 2003-2004 Montero SPORT and instal into your Gen 3 fullsize.
4. Buy new OEM Mitsubishi 4.90 ring and pinion gears and install. Two sets, front/rear, needed at about 325.00 each.

Let me know if I missed and details and I will edit.

I suppose you are correct on #1,2,4 and most likely correct on #3 as well but noone confirmed on rear yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94