Rough ride - Wheels and Tires - 19.5's to 20" LT's? or Suspension

java

Expedition Leader
Check Expedition Imports for your tires. They might carry something you need.
They do, very much $$ :(

It's going to have to go on the back burner for awhile, I can't spend more than half my conversion budget on wheels and tires atm.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
Before you go overboard on tires I would consider just jumping up a size or 2 on the 19.5s. My experience with them on the Freightliner was 225 (1st Freightliner) was very harsh and a totally miserable experience. The 245 on the latest one were bearable but still rough. The 265s on the bigger rig ride great. But the best pothole/washboard ride is the 365/80R20 by far.

Hobitony is running 285/70R19.5 Toyo's on his ambulance and they apparently ride very well. Hit him with a PM to get a first hand report.

java

Expedition Leader
Before you go overboard on tires I would consider just jumping up a size or 2 on the 19.5s. My experience with them on the Freightliner was 225 (1st Freightliner) was very harsh and a totally miserable experience. The 245 on the latest one were bearable but still rough. The 265s on the bigger rig ride great. But the best pothole/washboard ride is the 365/80R20 by far.

Hobitony is running 285/70R19.5 Toyo's on his ambulance and they apparently ride very well. Hit him with a PM to get a first hand report.
Hmmmm it's worth looking into. Sadly my wheels are only 6" wide which limits tire width a lot. No one wants to even mount a 245 on them :(

Ozrockrat

Expedition Leader
The problem with going much bigger on the diameter is the Fords suffer from marginal brakes at best. So now you are into hydrostatic boosters etc unless yours already has that.

Also remember if you stick with duals you may need spacers between the rear wheels to stop the sidewalks rubbing.

If your brake clearance can handle it you may want to consider the Humvee wheels. Cheapest way to single out a domestic truck.

java

Expedition Leader
The problem with going much bigger on the diameter is the Fords suffer from marginal brakes at best. So now you are into hydrostatic boosters etc unless yours already has that.

Also remember if you stick with duals you may need spacers between the rear wheels to stop the sidewalks rubbing.

If your brake clearance can handle it you may want to consider the Humvee wheels. Cheapest way to single out a domestic truck.

Hmmmm I think the brakes are pretty decent, but yes I'm sure larger diameter will definately hurt them.

Yea spacers are needed for more than a 245.

I don't think I can get a 16.5 tire that will take the weight. I'm at 8k on the rear axle. If I'm going to go singles it may as well be 20" ones.

java

Expedition Leader
My you do have a fat ******** . Hope you have plenty of wheel well room for 20".
Lots of junk in the trunk! :D

I think a 37" tire will clear with little to no lift. (275/80r20)

Darwin

Explorer
Pirelli makes the PS22 in a 335/80/20 that is a similar tread pattern to the xzl and is rated at 7,000 lbs PER tire! They can be bought on Ebay for 300$ new plus shipping.

java

Expedition Leader
Pirelli makes the PS22 in a 335/80/20 that is a similar tread pattern to the xzl and is rated at 7,000 lbs PER tire! They can be bought on Ebay for 300$ new plus shipping.
Too big sadly. Aiming for about 37"

Peneumbra2

Badger Wrangler
I have 245/70R/19.5s on my 3500HD Chevy 4x4 (15K GVW) and I recently installed Fox reservoir shocks. Really improved the ride on and off road.

These trucks will never have the plush ride of a half-ton, but then that's not what they're designed for...

java

Expedition Leader
I have 245/70R/19.5s on my 3500HD Chevy 4x4 (15K GVW) and I recently installed Fox reservoir shocks. Really improved the ride on and off road.

These trucks will never have the plush ride of a half-ton, but then that's not what they're designed for...
Cool thanks! Yes I don't expect plush, just not punishing would be good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles