Rough ride - Wheels and Tires - 19.5's to 20" LT's? or Suspension

bahncamperworks

Supporting Sponsor: Bahn Camper Works
I have a set of the MPT81's from my old truck. They are Stazworks beadlocks with the Dodge 8 lug pattern so they bolt on otherwise I'd let you try them out. I'd be a little concerned about how narrow they are on a rig that heavy, they are heavy and stiff as ******** so maybe they'd be fine.They are rated for that much weight but they will wear really fast if you do much highway driving. If you think you might be interested in the tires I will give you a good deal on them, just email me. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

java

Expedition Leader
I have a set of the MPT81's from my old truck. They are Stazworks beadlocks with the Dodge 8 lug pattern so they bolt on otherwise I'd let you try them out. I'd be a little concerned about how narrow they are on a rig that heavy, they are heavy and stiff as ******** so maybe they'd be fine.They are rated for that much weight but they will wear really fast if you do much highway driving. If you think you might be interested in the tires I will give you a good deal on them, just email me. Good luck!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk
What size? I'm interested but worried they will not last, we do a lot of highway.

Are the stazworks able to be re-centered?

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

S2DM

Adventurer
FWIW, my truck also had a really harsh ride until I changed the front springs. Carli f250 linear rate springs I can confirm are a direct replacement in 11-16 f550s, I'm assuming the 450 would be no different. Not sure what year your rig is, but it might be worth a try. I shaved 1" off of them to get the ride height right, but they were night and day smoother for a $315 investment and a little time. They spring f450s and 550s assuming you are going to be driving around with a loaded utility body all the time, so they really aren't very compliant at all. The Carli's alone totally changed the feel on mine.

java

Expedition Leader
FWIW, my truck also had a really harsh ride until I changed the front springs. Carli f250 linear rate springs I can confirm are a direct replacement in 11-16 f550s, I'm assuming the 450 would be no different. Not sure what year your rig is, but it might be worth a try. I shaved 1" off of them to get the ride height right, but they were night and day smoother for a $315 investment and a little time. They spring f450s and 550s assuming you are going to be driving around with a loaded utility body all the time, so they really aren't very compliant at all. The Carli's alone totally changed the feel on mine.

Thanks!! Great info.

Mine is an 08, but I don't belive any of them suspension changed on the later models.

IIRC your running Hutchinson's and singles yes? What's your weight? I'm almost to GVWR so I should be just right for being fully loaded all the time. But I think the front could use a bit more hight. There isn't much room to bump stops

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

S2DM

Adventurer
I'm around 14k, but I havent done formal weights on front and rear since I made all the changes, just a truck scale.

I'd be surprised if anything changed, so far their f250 rear shock mounts went right in as well. The cabs and frames were pretty much the same in those trucks, differences were axles, brakes, # of springs and rates.

I think my point on those springs is they really werent designed to articulate all that much at that weight range. Even on my 550 with the camper on, the f250 spring didnt sag at all, but it offers a much smoother ride for all the small chatter. My stock springs were just rocks, i felt every highway division.

I'm running a hutchinson style rim, 20" with the goodyear tires. If you are planning many freeway miles, I'd stay away from the 275mpts. Our experience with them was great off road, but they wear really fast at highway speeds.

java

Expedition Leader
I'm around 14k, but I havent done formal weights on front and rear since I made all the changes, just a truck scale.

I'd be surprised if anything changed, so far their f250 rear shock mounts went right in as well. The cabs and frames were pretty much the same in those trucks, differences were axles, brakes, # of springs and rates.

I think my point on those springs is they really werent designed to articulate all that much at that weight range. Even on my 550 with the camper on, the f250 spring didnt sag at all, but it offers a much smoother ride for all the small chatter. My stock springs were just rocks, i felt every highway division.

I'm running a hutchinson style rim, 20" with the goodyear tires. If you are planning many freeway miles, I'd stay away from the 275mpts. Our experience with them was great off road, but they wear really fast at highway speeds.
Again thanks! I'm 14200 lbs so right in there. We too feel everything on the freeway. Not bad by any means but you feel it. Just got back from 1600 miles and it soaks up the freeway just fine for me. I wouldn't be surprised if the springs are a bit tired at 109k now, it's been towing its whole life.

Did you measure an inch and cut or just loose one coil? I'm tempted to try them!

S2DM

Adventurer
I tried to get fancy with it and figure out what percentage of a compressed spring at ride height I wanted gone, then transfer that percentage to the unladen height. But then I got worried about cutting off too much in the event my calcs were off, so I just cut off 1". The way the coil receiver works (the rubber cup it sets into ), you can just spin it for where you cut the coil, so you don't need to worry about cutting off a single coil exactly. Just use something thats low heat to cut them, like a zip disc, so you don't remove the temper from the spring.

java

Expedition Leader
I tried to get fancy with it and figure out what percentage of a compressed spring at ride height I wanted gone, then transfer that percentage to the unladen height. But then I got worried about cutting off too much in the event my calcs were off, so I just cut off 1". The way the coil receiver works (the rubber cup it sets into ), you can just spin it for where you cut the coil, so you don't need to worry about cutting off a single coil exactly. Just use something thats low heat to cut them, like a zip disc, so you don't remove the temper from the spring.
Thanks!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior