Importing Cruisers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Here is what I am noticing and I been watching, looking and researching a lot lately. Causally for a lot longer.

The market is flooded with JDM RHD Cruisers. At any given time there is dozens and dozens of them out there for sale. In the last couple years prices have come down a lot on them and there are a lot of people importing from Japan. Why? I suppose, it is realativly easy to do from Japan with all the auctions and trucks in general are in better condition with lower miles than from elsewhere in the world. However you take a small market and make it even smaller with trucks being RHD and then the market gets flooded with trucks. The result is prices drop and trucks sell slow.

I don't think there is a lot of room for another person importing RHD trucks from Japan, it is played out several times over. I do think there is some room for LHD trucks for sure, potential customer base is 5x, 10x or even 100x higher. Truly who wants to DD a RHD truck? Anything drive through sucks, forget about that in RHD. Ever tried to pass a big truck or semi on a two lane mountain road in RHD!? It is downright dangerous! Let's face it our country wasn't designed for RHD trucks not to mention if you are my age and spent the last 35yrs shifting with your right hand and now you got to do it with your left. Sure you can get used to it but why would ya if you don't have to. This is why converted trucks sell fast and go for a lot of money. Couple years ago there was a really nice 80 converted to 1HDT for sale here on ExPo that sold for over $40k.

It is kind of like the whole 4BT conversion thing. People went nuts over that for awhile and then they realized it is a loud diesel that vibrates like crazy and was designed for a skid steer! Now 4BT trucks sell slow and not for much money and trade hands a lot.

Right now I am eye balling a couple HJ80's, around 200kms on them, 1HDT, 5spd, part time 4wd, rear A/C and more in good overall condition. I am saying to myself if US spec 80's in similar condition are fetching $10-15k, more if built up a bit, there is no reason these LHD diesel won't sell fast.

Seems to me after looking around and watching the market a lot for well over two weeks everyday, the RHD market is way played out. Way to many people are fighting over a small piece of pie so to speak. Land Cruiser Direct is one of very few that moves trucks and doesn't end up sitting on them for long periods of time and lowering and lowering the prices out of all the RHD sellers out there.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
There may be some interest in Fzj70. Dunno if they got those in Panama or what first year was for them. 93?

Yes gasser 70's are in Central America but they are few and far between. Luckily I know where there is a ton of them just a hop, skip and a jump away!

Some people I would imagine would certainly prefer them. More pep and power, easier to work on albeit cost more to feed with fuel.

Cheers

zimm

Expedition Leader
ill take a nice rust free, rear barn door, lhd 60. drivetrain just needs to get it here.

lightstrum

I couldn't agree more. Buy the best you can with old imports. I waited and waited till I found low mileage, super clean in and out JDM vehicle. At first I felt I paid a bit too much, but after receiving it, and having a great mechanic go over it, who was flabbergasted that I paid, in his reckoning so little for a really great vehicle. Got right in it, seats like new, running perfectly, after a thousand miles, nada problema. My friends, upon seeing/riding in it have all said that my $8100 diesel feels like a brand new 60,000 dollar vehicle 6 months off the floor. That is except for one ***** who pointed out that underneath one of the back seat mats was a bit of a stain. Boy did I get screwed

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
ill take a nice rust free, rear barn door, lhd 60. drivetrain just needs to get it here.

I know where I can buy one right now. Very nice condition. 2H, H55, FF rear axle, barn doors. Fresh interior as well that is tasteful and well done. Oh ya it has A/C as well. Cost ya a bit of coin because it is so nice. It is an 1988.

I know where another one is just like it but not barn doors, it's cheaper.

Cheers

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I'll take a 4 door LHD Hilux.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I know where I could pick up several tomorrow. Years range from 84 to 1990. All are four door with a diesel. One 1990 turbo diesel is in absolutely mint condition, like time capsule condition. Factory turbo diesel, 4-door, SFA from the factory.

Cheers

onemanarmy

Explorer
As long as it runs and drives ok with minimal rust I'm ok with it. Can't afford a time capsule. Diesel or gas (aid any non-US hilux come with gas engine?)

I'd really like a 81-83 body style, but 84-90 is acceptable.

Sure they are LHD?

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
As long as it runs and drives ok with minimal rust I'm ok with it. Can't afford a time capsule. Diesel or gas (aid any non-US hilux come with gas engine?)

I'd really like a 81-83 body style, but 84-90 is acceptable.

Sure they are LHD?

Ya they are all LHD. Every country in the Americas is LHD.

22R and 22RE is pretty common down here. I seen one very nice early 80's Hilix for sale but it was just a reg cab, no different than a US truck.

You might be surprised what a Hilux would cost ya, 60% of what Cruisers cost depending.

Also seen turbo diesel 4-Runners.

Cheers

destructomatt

Adventurer
It's also worth mentioning that several Central American countries, Costa Rica for example, specifically prohibit RHD on public roads so anybody prepping a rig for a Ushuai trip cannot use any Aussie or Japanese imports as a build platform.

lumpskie

Independent Thinker
Last one I saw for sale that was converted was $40+k!!! Not saying that is what you paid and I don't watch eBay, CL and the like 24/7 like some people but man I never seen a converted one go for cheap when I have seen them. Just buying the 1HDT in good condition costs a lot of coin and then paying somebody to do it for you, wowzers that gets expensive fast!

Cheers

Luckily, I paid a lot less than that for mine, but I had personal contact with the previous owner on Ih8mud. Also, I believe I got a really good deal, as the truck is a pro conversion from Torfab. (Tor did a good deal of the conversion himself and was happy to endorse the truck before I bought it) But, I can see why these rigs go for the money they do. My truck accelerates as well as a gas vehicle but gets almost 20mpg (19.2 on my last tank) daily driving it at 75-80 mph everyday!

I do think there is some room for LHD trucks for sure, potential customer base is 5x, 10x or even 100x higher. Truly who wants to DD a RHD truck? Anything drive through sucks, forget about that in RHD.

This was my feeling too. Since I wanted to daily drive my 80, I wanted it to be LHD for tolls, drive throughs, general visibility and for when my wife wants to drive it. (She flat out wouldn't drive a RHD vehicle) I wanted it to feel like a factory vehicle, without noticeable drawbacks but have the diesel torque and fuel economy. At this point, I think my 1HD-T 80 ticks all of those boxes!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
I think they do make exceptions to this law, there is info on the forum about this. You are correct though but again I think you can go through a process and get a special permit if you are from a RHD country and driving the PanAm.

Cheers

It's also worth mentioning that several Central American countries, Costa Rica for example, specifically prohibit RHD on public roads so anybody prepping a rig for a Ushuai trip cannot use any Aussie or Japanese imports as a build platform.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
From what I have seen Tor does very nice work. His v8 swaps look outstanding! He just did a 6L v8 swap into a 70-series and it gives me a stiffy!! Hahaha!

Cheers

Luckily, I paid a lot less than that for mine, but I had personal contact with the previous owner on Ih8mud. Also, I believe I got a really good deal, as the truck is a pro conversion from Torfab. (Tor did a good deal of the conversion himself and was happy to endorse the truck before I bought it) But, I can see why these rigs go for the money they do. My truck accelerates as well as a gas vehicle but gets almost 20mpg (19.2 on my last tank) daily driving it at 75-80 mph everyday!

This was my feeling too. Since I wanted to daily drive my 80, I wanted it to be LHD for tolls, drive throughs, general visibility and for when my wife wants to drive it. (She flat out wouldn't drive a RHD vehicle) I wanted it to feel like a factory vehicle, without noticeable drawbacks but have the diesel torque and fuel economy. At this point, I think my 1HD-T 80 ticks all of those boxes!

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Btw half cuts that are newer than 25yrs old are legal to import for parts. I must have seen 50 super awesome Cruisers today driving from Panama to Costa Rica and it got me thinking!

Marv at Spectre Offroad used to import a lot of half cuts before he passed away.

Cheers

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles