Importing Cruisers

NCFJ

Adventurer
I agree with you that the RHD market is saturated with players at this point. Importing LHD vehicles will certainly set you apart and open up a wider market. Importing only the best of the best will also set you apart. Doing only 2-3 a year and giving them some TLC on your end, even better. I hope that it works out well for you.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
So I did a recon mission for Land Cruisers the other day in one particular Latin American country. I founds tons upon tons of them. More than I could count. Even found a LC junkyard, of course it was all with the help of my Latin American friend. We even saw a troopy body that highly likely could be purchased.

As far as half cuts, absolutely doable!! I been thinking about this very thing, including newer than 25yr pickups. I may just be shipping up a 40ft container full of these kind of goodies!

Cheers

How about a half cut 100 series turbo diesel and 5spd manual trans??

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Ya know I was thinking only the best of the best when I first started looking seriously at this venture. And then I talked to some interested people who can't throw down $30k for a 25yr old Cruiser. They maybe got half that. And that was when I realized why limit myself and exclude the average Cruiserhead!? Not everybody can afford a $30k Cruiser and lots of Cruiserheads either like to work on their trucks or are interested in taking on a resto, it is part of the hobby for a lot of us. As long as I am in the green, I don't think I should exclude any truck or anyone. Why make a small niche market even smaller!!?? The key here is to be honest about the trucks and price them accordingly.

Cheers

I agree with you that the RHD market is saturated with players at this point. Importing LHD vehicles will certainly set you apart and open up a wider market. Importing only the best of the best will also set you apart. Doing only 2-3 a year and giving them some TLC on your end, even better. I hope that it works out well for you.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
Ok here is the thing, this thread was meant to be a feeler type thread. I could post some pics. Sure! But I am not ready to move any trucks yet. I am coming back to the states, in fact I will be in the states tomorrow, to deal with a bunch of things. I plan to be back down in Latin America in about two months max to get this ball all rolling. That is when I think I might start posting some pics. I did however post some pics recently on the TLCA FB page from my recon mission.

Cheers

and I'd take one also

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
A bit of an example of what I have found so far though....

Troopies!!
70-series pickups!!
HJ45 pickups!!
BJ40s!!
HZJ77, only one though and in rough condition.
Land Cruiser 2s in both swb and lwb
70-series swb with phz and 1HZ.
HJ62s and HJ60s with the 2H
HJ80s with both the 1HDT and 1HZ in both manual and auto

So ya.....

Cheers

1leglance

2007 Expedition Trophy Champion, Overland Certifie
I have owned a Troopie before and would again if I had a turbo on it...
Also my wife is from Peru and still has family there, we have thought about registering it there and just leaving the USA once a year.

RMP&O

Expedition Leader
It has begun.

I am in Latin America right now hunting for trucks. I have a website being built as I type this. Tomorrow I may buy my first truck.

Cheers

mouse007

Explorer
Broker / Importer.

O.P. -

I didn't fully read the post.. But If you need help my wife works for a logistics firm. They have an in-house customs broker and can handle all the logistics. They also have offices in South & Central America for all documentation.

They have imported dozens of Land Cruisers for several "BIG" companies (I can't disclosed their info). if you'd like shoot me a P.M. and I'll pass you her info.

Good luck on the hunt..!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FranklinDufresne