General Ford Expedition Thread

hammerg26

SE Expedition Society
Put on 2” lift (turned front Torsion Bars)
New shocks (rear)
New Tires (BFG KO2 275/70/17)

IMG_7760.JPG
IMG_7762.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Is that to replace the Explorer or your current Exp? What are the specs?

Replace the 2000 Expedition- in the garage at least. The Explorer, after doing a few improvements and maintenance items, is going to be my vehicle of choice for offroad car camping.

The new Expedition is a 2014 XLT with almost every option. I think the nav radio is the only thing I don’t have. It’s got dual zone climate front with rear HVAC controls (makes it triple zone, no?), leather, heated/cooled front seats, heated 2nd row captain chairs, sunroof, backup camera...... It’s so much quieter on the road than my 2000 Expedition- and both have all terrain LT tires. The 2014 is just going to be a daily driver and family road trip vehicle. It might do some camping, but it will be tame camping (think road tripping and sleeping in a tent style). I need to get the 2000 up for sale.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Replace the 2000 Expedition- in the garage at least. The Explorer, after doing a few improvements and maintenance items, is going to be my vehicle of choice for offroad car camping.

The new Expedition is a 2014 XLT with almost every option. I think the nav radio is the only thing I don’t have. It’s got dual zone climate front with rear HVAC controls (makes it triple zone, no?), leather, heated/cooled front seats, heated 2nd row captain chairs, sunroof, backup camera...... It’s so much quieter on the road than my 2000 Expedition- and both have all terrain LT tires. The 2014 is just going to be a daily driver and family road trip vehicle. It might do some camping, but it will be tame camping (think road tripping and sleeping in a tent style). I need to get the 2000 up for sale.

Looking forward to seeing the build thread. I like the look of the 3rd Gen Expedition and think it would look great with a little lift and bigger tires. (y)

2014 = 5.4 with the 6 speed auto? IIRC they didn't go to the EcoBoost until 2015.

CrazyDrei

Space Monkey
Any gen 2 guys out there? How do you like the "long travel" independent rear suspension? Have you driven a gen 1 Expedition and how does the ride compare? Off road, on gravel, washboard, technical terrain?

I am very intrigued by the IRS and how it compares to the live axle.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Looking forward to seeing the build thread.

Well don’t hold your breath. It’s gonna stay fairly stock. Not worthy of a build thread on here.

2014 = 5.4 with the 6 speed auto? IIRC they didn't go to the EcoBoost until 2015.

Yep. Still has the 5.4. I imposed a “less than $20k” budget and ideally under 100k miles upon myself. That put the Ecoboost out of my search criteria.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
Any gen 2 guys out there? How do you like the "long travel" independent rear suspension? Have you driven a gen 1 Expedition and how does the ride compare? Off road, on gravel, washboard, technical terrain?

I am very intrigued by the IRS and how it compares to the live axle.

I just bought a 3rd gen. I believe it has the same, if not extremely similar, suspension as the 2nd gen. I haven’t had it in the dirt yet, and honestly don’t plan much anyway, but it rides WAY smoother than my 1st gen in the road. I don’t know if you can attribute that too torsion bar with coil sprung live axle (1st gen) vs coil on strut at all 4 corners and independent (3rd gen). Hitting a speed bump with some speed in the 3rd gen is supple while hitting the same speed bump at the same speed in the 1st gen was a jarring experience.

Ivan

Lost in Space
Nice!
What size tires are these.
Do you have a build thread?

Sorry, I don't check in too often as of late.

At the time the pic was taken, those were 315/70R17s. I think they were ProComps (maybe?).

No build thread, I got rid of it about a year ago; the dreaded cruise control switch claimed it. It partially caught fire and melted enough wiring under the hood that it wasn't worth dealing with.

Off the top of my head:

It had new old stock 4" coils in the rear with Rancho shocks, and the Monroe load adjusting shocks up front (part of the conversion kit to get rid of the air shocks). No front or rear sway bar, and it handled going down the beach at pretty decent speed without any issues. The plan at the time was to replace the stock bumpstops with some hydraulic bump stops (like Daystar's) as the suspension was pliable enough to go fast, but would have been better served by some better bump stops.

The plan was also to throw on some 37s and trim as needed. IIRC, it really didn't need much to clearance 37s on those wheels (going by tape measure, so don't quote me on this).

1st gens are ridiculously good for what they are, and an overlooked gem. (almost)AWD on demand after brown wire mod, decently strong IFS, and a Sterlling 9.75 rear axle with a really good 4 speed transmission and transfercase. Oh, and space for days.

I honestly expect these to come up more and more as people look for robust, affordable body on frame SUV's with enough technology to make them convenient, but not so much to make them a liability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles