General Ford Expedition Thread

IRISH

Hello everyone,

I started this thread as I was having trouble finding posts on Ford Expeditions. Seems when you put Expedition into the search bar, pretty much everything pops up. The thought was for someplace to post Mods, ideas or current projects in here. I'm currently at work but will post pictures of my truck soon. For now It is just a stock 2001 EB with the 5.4L. I have a few ideas for mods and intend to share build pictures here. Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is and has done with their truck.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
Yes, unfortunately the name "expedition" is going to be a difficult search term since it will come up in just about everything. About the best suggestion I could make is to use quotation marks and search "Ford Expedition", that should narrow the search results by quite a bit.
I've always thought the Expedition would make a great low budget build. It's too bad they went to an IRS suspension in 2003 but even that shouldn't be a total deal breaker for a vehicle that will not see hard core off road duty. There are a bajillion of them out there and they are dirt cheap on the used market, from what I've seen.

ExplorerTom

Explorer
I have an Expedition. It's my daily, family road trip and family camping rig. Unfortunately my budget is split between it and my Explorer- which is my hardcore off-roader.

See the links in my signature.

Ivan

Lost in Space
Hello everyone,

I started this thread as I was having trouble finding posts on Ford Expeditions. Seems when you put Expedition into the search bar, pretty much everything pops up. The thought was for someplace to post Mods, ideas or current projects in here. I'm currently at work but will post pictures of my truck soon. For now It is just a stock 2001 EB with the 5.4L. I have a few ideas for mods and intend to share build pictures here. Looking forward to seeing what everyone else is and has done with their truck.

What do you have planned? Glad to see another 1st gen

IRISH

Well for now I am working on fixing a few issues with it. The previous owner was great on taking care of the body and interior, but not as up on maintenance. Currently need to have the transmission fixed. That one is going to take me a little bit. Once I get that ironed out I was looking into doing a small lift maybe 2" TB and spacer for some ground clearance. I have been looking into an awning and lighting upgrades. I have been looking into putting some LED's in the rear cargo area on the hatch. I have been debating and working on ideas with cargo and storage. I don't want to put in a rack system. I was thinking of making something like cargo netting or webbing that can be attached to the sides by the rear windows that I can use Molle/Pals bags and pouches to organize some gear. Other than that Beyond that I have been getting some good / bad ideas fom here about racks, bumpers, trailers and 12v systems. Being in Florida the 12v system and refrigerator has caught my eye, just don't know if I would use it enough to justify the price of putting that kind of system in place just yet. The plan is for the truck to be a jack of all trades kind of thing, using it as a daily driver, occasional camping and adventuring platform, and tailgater. I figure the camping and tailgating mods would prove to be useful for both tasks. Hmmmm. Might have come up with a name the the truck... The Trail-gater.

IRISH

Just looked at the link for your Expedition Tom. Very nicely done. My truck is finally in the shop getting the transmission fixed, so hopefully will have a few pics when its back and cleaned up a little. I really like the rack on that, and pretty much all the other mods. The inverter mod is nice. I was looking into someplace to mount a switch panel for lights and anything else I eventually put on. Not very many places to mount while keeping it looking like it was meant to be there. I did have an idea looking at some of the older overhead console parts. The older expeditions have the rear ac controls on the overhead, was thinking about looking around in the junk yards to see if I can find one. The plan is to remove to ac controls and add rocker switches on a plate much like you did the inverter. s-l300.jpg

IRISH

In the shop getting Trans rebuilt. Hopefully will be done tomorrow. I love the foundation for what it is but have been plagued by mechanical issues since i bought it 7 months ago. I initially had a bad COP on # 3 witch turned into having to have the passenger side head replaced due to previous owner putting in a Helicoil incorrectly. Had it back from the shop and 3 days later the trans went out with no reverse and wouldn't shift past second. I will post some pictures this weekend when I get it back. Right now totally stock. Budget has been used to rebuild it for now.

IRISH

Just got the truck back last night. So far so good. She has much more power going down the road and shifts smoothly. There are a few more gremlins to chase out, but so far so good. Pics to follow later this week.

IRISH

eytkjytekiytekytekyketu.jpg
Sorry it took so long to post pics up. I had a problem with my computer and have been working extra shifts.

Martinjmpr

Wiffleball Batter
It's a shame we don't see too many 2nd or 3rd gen Expedition builds here.
While I'm happy with my 'Burb I know it won't last forever and I'm giving serious thought to maybe switching teams when it comes time to replace the 'burb in a couple of years. One of the prime reasons being that as near as I can tell, every 4x4 Expedition comes with a 2 speed transfer case with low range, whereas on the Chevy/GMC the 2 speed case is optional, and many of the '09+ Suburbans and Tahoes I see on the used market only have the single-speed T-case, which is a deal breaker for me.
The Expeditions seem to have a lot to offer (including the Expedition EL, which is the "Suburban" to the Expedition's "Tahoe", i.e. the EL is the long wheelbase version.) On paper, at least, the 3.5 turbo engine offers impressive performance, and in terms of cost, I've noticed that Expeditions of all types are significantly less pricey on the used market than an equivalent Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon/Yukon XL.
Not sure if there's a quality difference or of it's just a case of lower demand = lower price but for a budget-conscious purchaser an Expedition could be an attractive option

SDDiver5

Expedition Leader
I have the truck version of your rig and love it. Surprisingly capable for a stock truck. A little lift and some good tires is all you need to have a great DD and adventure rig. I've had my truck as a DD since 2006.

The only downside to these generations 150/expeditions is the after market support is very very limited and expensive when you find something you like... Most of the time you'll have to go custom.

Good luck with the build!

IRISH

Yeah the full size SUV market is limited unfortunately. At the time i was looking I couldn't find a Suburban or Tahoe in my price range that was in decent shape. My brother has a 2000 f150 that has been good to him so I decided to take a chance. So far for me It has been a mixed bag so to speak. I do like the truck and set up, but have had a few pretty major issues with it after purchasing. It started about a moth after I bought it with a stumble / hesitation that turned out to be coil pack # 3. I had sent it into a ford dealer for diagnostic and to have the plugs changed. When they pulled one of the plugs on the passenger side they found that someone had installed a Helicoil and cross threaded it into the head. That cost me about 1400 to have a head replaced. about a week after I got it out of the Shop the Transmission lost reverse and wouldn't shift out of 2nd. The truck sat for about 5 months. Now I have a used transmission in it and It seems to be running pretty good. So for now I am going to be watching the truck for the next month or so to see if I want to build this up or trade it in. Still on the fence as of right now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles