2014 Subaru Outback need suggestions on tires and rack

flwoodsman

I just picked up a 2014 Subaru Outback with 43k on it. The dealership I purchased it from put new all season (Toyo) tires on it but I would like to upgrade to an AT tire and sell these news ones. I'm in Florida and I'm looking for something that will take me down forest/logging roads and is good for the 4x4 only beaches and stormy weather. I have the stock 17" wheel. A highly recommended tire is the Yokohama Geolander A/T S in 225/60/17. I read that I can also fit a 235/60/17 tire with no modifications. Are there any other good AT choices out there for my intended use? I could only find a couple AT tires in this size. I have heard about larger ties being used with no lift but they all seemed to have aftermarket wheels as well.

I'm also looking at the Yakima load warrior roof rack. I would only be using it for coolers, suitcases, gas cans etc. while camping and canoes. Are there any other choices that may be better (Not looking to spend $1000 on a rack).
With the AT tires and roof rack how much of a mpg hit should I expect. I'm averaging 29.5 right now.

I'd like to stay as close to stock as possible for performance. This is a daily driver and I drive approximately 600 miles a week on the highway and 30-45 miles a week on dirt roads. Most of the weekends are spent at beaches, camping and forest roads.

This is my first "wagon". I came from 2005 Land Rover LR3 before this and enjoyed it up to 230k miles before I got rid of it. I realize the Subaru will not be as off road capable as the LR3. I decided to buy the Subaru for the highway travel and mpg benefits.

tarditi

Explorer
For the rack, can you remove it when not needed? Then no MPG hit - even empty you may see a minor drop from aerodynamics alone (if you're commuting highway).

I have a load warrior on my trailer but bolted directly to the lid - can't recall how robust the connectors are to a set of crossbars - maybe disconnect the crossbars from the roof rails themselves.

For tires, the geolanders are decent. I know the rallycross guys can really scrutinize their tires too - may want to hit up that community for advice. I found that the Subaru crowd are good people if you ask for help or experience.
I had a set of primitive racing skids on my WRX and they were great. I ran falken tires - nothing special - the ones that were on it when I bought it, never swapped them out.
I found Cobb to make some good performance gear, too - not sure if you're looking for anything along those lines.

flwoodsman

For the rack, can you remove it when not needed? Then no MPG hit - even empty you may see a minor drop from aerodynamics alone (if you're commuting highway).

I have a load warrior on my trailer but bolted directly to the lid - can't recall how robust the connectors are to a set of crossbars - maybe disconnect the crossbars from the roof rails themselves.

For tires, the geolanders are decent. I know the rallycross guys can really scrutinize their tires too - may want to hit up that community for advice. I found that the Subaru crowd are good people if you ask for help or experience.
I had a set of primitive racing skids on my WRX and they were great. I ran falken tires - nothing special - the ones that were on it when I bought it, never swapped them out.
I found Cobb to make some good performance gear, too - not sure if you're looking for anything along those lines.

Thanks. I have no storage room for the rack (Condo) so it would be mounted full time. I saw the thread for the Crosstec on this site and they have a flat Rhino rack but I didn't see it offered for my model year. For the time being the cross bars fold back out of the way on this model year so I don't have to remove them. I'm not going too extreme with this setup. I have future plans to get a dedicated 4x4 so I have to resist the "urge" to go to far with this one.....which I am failing miserably at right now. Today has been spent researching Subaru lift kits:)

sharkoverland

Observer
First off welcome to the Subaru family. They are great vehicles for the people in mine of tackling on forest roads and little more challenging stuff. For the roof racks I really like the flat style. I currently have one on my forester. Helps cut down on wind drag when nothing is up there on your daily commute.

Tires Geolanders are pretty popular. Not sure what is available in your size. BF KO2, Firestone Destination AT. But look on tire rack and compare all the AT tires and go from there. The more aggressive tire comes the mpg and noise. But not a huge deal when going to a stockish size.

Hope this helps.

kojackJKU

Autism Family Travellers!
Thanks. I have no storage room for the rack (Condo) so it would be mounted full time. I saw the thread for the Crosstec on this site and they have a flat Rhino rack but I didn't see it offered for my model year. For the time being the cross bars fold back out of the way on this model year so I don't have to remove them. I'm not going too extreme with this setup. I have future plans to get a dedicated 4x4 so I have to resist the "urge" to go to far with this one.....which I am failing miserably at right now. Today has been spent researching Subaru lift kits:)

The Rhino rack platform mounted to cross bars is a universal application...buy the cross bars for your outback, then measure for the platform and mount it up! As for the tires, your not going to get a huge hit on MPG with whatever you put on there....I recommend the hankook AT-M. lightweight, good grip and lasts A LONG TIME! Same setup I'm running on my patriot really. Should be a great DD / Adventure rig!

vhercules

Geolanders AT go15 and bfg ko2 are both available in 225/65/17 and will fit your stock 17 inch wheels. Bfg is more aggressive and based on what you describe may be an overkill for you. The geolander has a lot of great reviews and is a good at tire.

Hal43

2015 Outback here. I have the 225/65/17 Geolander G015's and a Yakima Load Warrior rack mounted on the stock crossbars. Spent a lot of time researching and those were my choices. And I haven't regretted the choices.

8EOd9N2.jpg

flwoodsman

2015 Outback here. I have the 225/65/17 Geolander G015's and a Yakima Load Warrior rack mounted on the stock crossbars. Spent a lot of time researching and those were my choices. And I haven't regretted the choices.

8EOd9N2.jpg
Can you tell me what kind of mpg you are getting with that setup? I think that size tire will fit my 2014 but I'll double check. I don't think they make that GO15 tire in 225/60/17. I can still get the A/T S though.

ADVSubaru

Observer

I think may be talking about my thread. Unfortunately the Outback has those weird factory retractable crossbars that make it a pain to work with when it comes to aftermarket racks. Your best bet may be just a universal rack from like Yakima or Thule in my opinion. The Geolanders seem to be fairly popular as they are a very mild all-terrain. I've always ran either a General Grabber AT2 or BFGoodrich KO2 and have had great luck with them but keep in mind the more aggressive all-terrain you go, the louder they are ;).

flwoodsman

I went with the Geolandar A/T S. The Geolandar GO15 were harder to get right now from the distributer. I ordered through discount tire because they gave me a $200 trade in on my current tires. Yokohama has a rebate this month so my total tire cost for 4 will be $460 installed. They should be in this week.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Unknown history have the front and rear diffs serviced. The cvt is a drain fill and specific fluid level check / process. The cvt fluid is very Subaru specific only use the updated current stuff. I have Subaru do mine so no doubt is left that the cvt is covered if it has a premature failure. Do Not! Put diff gear oil in the cvt!! Its a common and very costly mistake.

As for tires I really like the bfg Advantage t/a sports. They are lightly luggy have a harder compound then the soft comfort tires. They have been about 1-2 mpg hit over the soft highway tires at 70+mph. The basket rack I borrowed was a solid 5mpg hit at 70+. I gave it back and have no interest in having one. Was super noisy too. I added a 30in wide 7ft long sleek roof box. Its typically 2-3ish mpg hit. I use rail clamps on the stowed stock bars then run either 54in bars or 66in.

My terrain ranges from sand, to logging roads and rocky stuff. My trailer towing on hot summer trips have been really hard on the prior tires. These have so far been a nice balance of luggy and durable compound yet do not hit the mileage or ride to hard. They were nice in the heavy pnw snow and handled the muddy dump run climb towing 1800lbs past stuck pickups ;-)

Buddha.

Finally in expo white.
You could always do a hitch mounted cargo carrier but it would affect the rear hatches opening. I wouldn't want to try put a loaded cooler on the roof.

Theprofessional

Silent Footfalls
Just get General Grabber AT/2's

They will take you anywhere, and they will fit. Simple and easy.
I've never had a problem with the AT//2's on even the most severe circumstances you would ever take a Subaru (Read: I've TRIED to get stuck and failed to do so).

Kmrtnsn

Explorer
I saw Crosstreks kitted out with 15" BFG KO2 Light Truck tires in a load range C. I doubt you could get a 15" Steelie over the front brakes but a 16" steel wheel with a similar LT tire in 65 or 70 series might be the ticket. As for a rack, Yakima makes a low profile basket that shouldn't be too obtrusive.

We have two vehicles, a 2013 JKUS, locked, lifted, and kitted out for overlanding and a loaded '07 L.L.Bean Edition Outback. My third Subaru. It's at about 102K miles, well maintained but the wife is itching for a pickup. Probably trade it off at the end of the year for 2017 1500 Laramie Crew-Cab with all the bells and whistles.

Last edited:

flwoodsman

Thanks for all the replies so far. For tires I went with Yokohama Geolandar ATS in 225/60/17 for now. I'm still deciding on a rack. I like the looks of the Baja mule but they are a few weeks out for a build. I might go with the Yakima for now. Also looking at Primitive full body skid plates.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles