Set up a Puma DC02 as a portable air compressor? Or just go with Smittybilt/Viar?

Clawhammer

Adventurer
I'm making some plans to get back out to the Rockies this summer and want to be able to air down, which I usually skip because I lack a compressor.

I was tempted to pick up a Puma DC02 and mount it under the hood (hardwired) but I know I'm not going to keep my truck forever, so it seems like something portable might be the smarter way to go. So, I'm looking for a couple of opinions or some advice.

It's my understanding that the Puma comes with no cords, hoses, fittings, or anything like that. I've heard of guys cutting the ends off a set of jumper cables and using them to power the compressor from the battery but can't seem to find a tutorial on exactly how to do this. Anyone know of one? I assume you'd want to have some sort of an inline fuse and/or switch too? Can anyone walk me through the process involved there?

Alternately, I'm tempted to just make it easy on myself and either grab a Viar 400P or a Smittybilt 2781. (I suppose I should start a separate thread comparing one to the other). Both would already come with a hose, power cables, carrying case, etc. which would save me some time and effort, but I'm wondering if the Puma is enough of a better quality to justify the extra effort.

Both the Puma and the Smitty are 50% duty, while the Viar is 33%. The Smitty has the highest CFM rating (5.6), while the Viar is 2.5 and the Puma at .9 (I think). The Puma is just 1/4 horsepower, while the other two are 1/3. The Smitty is the cheapest at about $160, the Vair is $170 and the Puma is around $100 (but doesn't include any accessories.

What do you think, folks?

Robert Bills

Explorer
I have a Viair 400P compressor, did my due diligence before my purchase, and think it is a better buy than the Smittybilt 2781. .

Here are some numbers to support my opinion:

CFM

The 400P is rated at 2.30 cfm @0 psi and 1.75 cfm at 40 psi.

Smittybilt claims 5.56 cfm but does not provide the psi for that rating so one must presume @ 0 psi.

[FYI - the Puma DE 05 is rated at 2.3 cfm @ 0 psi, 1.52 cfm @ 40 psi and 0.96 cfm @ 90 psi.]

Fill Rate

Published fill rates for the 400P are: 31" tires - 3:00 0-30 psi and 1:35 15-30 psi; 33" tires - 4:20 0-30 psi and 2:05 15-30 psi; 35" tires - 5:20 0-30 psi and 2:45 15-30 psi.

The only published fill rate I could find for the Smittybilt 2781 was 2:30 to fill a 31" tire from 15-35 psi.

Based upon cfm ratings, the Puma DE 05 should perform similarly to the 400P

Duty Cycle

For the compressors you are considering, duty cycle will only be a concern if you are filling tires for a group rather than just your vehicle. Viair suggests 20 minutes run time / 40 minutes cooling time for a 33% Duty Cycle compressor. Based upon the published fill rates one should be able to fill a set of four 33" tires from 0-30 psi in less than 20 minutes (including 30+ sec. run time between tires. My personal experience is that my 400P will refill four 33" tires from 16 psi to 35 psi in about 12-14 minutes (including time between tires).

Why I Chose a Viair 400P over the Smittybilt 2781

The Smittybilt was about $15 less than the Viair at the time I made my purchase. However, Viair published full specifications including fill rates, provided a complete kit, and offered U.S, based warranty support and repair options.

The Smittybilt 2781, a private labeled Chinese compressor with decent reviews, had no verifiable performance specifications and no repair support.

Since not all equipment failures are due to defects in workmanship, thus outside of any warranty or return policy, I thought it more important to purchase a compressor with better vendor support and repair options than to save $15 by buying a Smittybilt that really isn't any faster at filling tires than the Viair.

Hard Wiring Puma Compressor

If I had the space for a hard mounted compressor in my current "expo rig," I probably would have opted for the Puma. [I had a Thomas 1/4 HP 12v compressor in a Jeep I used to own, which is similar in many respects to the Puma, and that thing was a workhorse.]

Here is the wiring/plumbing diagram that I used to install my Thomas compressor [Currie Enterprises used to sell these as a kit "back in the day."] If you go this route, be sure to use a continuous duty solenoid rather than a starter solenoid.

compressor-5.gif

Clawhammer

Adventurer
Thanks, Robert for an awesome reply. You've got me leaning towards the Viar, but I do like the idea of 50% duty on the Puma. Do you know of a chart like that showing how to connect one with clamps on the battery terminals as opposed to a permanent set up? Electronics are not exactly my specialty...

Thanks again, much appreciated!

Robert Bills

Explorer
I just noticed that I mis-read your first post and that you are looking at the Puma DC02 compressor rather than the DE05 or DE07 models that many people purchase for a hard mount compressor.

I would not buy the DC-02 compressor because the output is considerably less than the Viair 400P and Smittybilt 2781 compressors you are also considering. For example, the Viair 400P puts out 2.30 cfm @0 psi and 1.75 cfm @ 40 psi whereas the Puma DC-02 only puts out 1.2 cfm @ 0 psi and 0.72 cfm @ 40 psi.

[See http://www.pumaairusa.com/products-08.html.]

Based upon your need for a "how-to" for attaching a compressor to a battery with clamps, my suggestion would be to buy a complete portable compressor kit which will be ready to use right out of the box and will come with easy to follow written instructions.

Here is Viair 400P portable kit I am currently using (on sale for $163.62 plus free shipping on 5/2/17, which is $8.37 less than I paid for mine in 2016): https://www.amazon.com/Viair-40043-...TF8&qid=1493767145&sr=8-3&keywords=viair+400p

Here are the instructions for the Viair400P: http://www.viaircorp.com/v/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/40043_Manual.pdf

Here is a link to the Smittybilt 2781 compressor for $159.99 with free shipping (as of 5/2/17): https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-2...id=1493768014&sr=1-1&keywords=smittybilt+2781

Here are the instructions for the Smittybilt 2780/2781 compressors: http://www.smittybilt.com/docs/installation/2781.pdf

Both of these units will get the job done. I am happy with my Viair 400P and would buy another Viair product if I had the need for another compressor. However, in all fairness there are many happy Smittybilt users.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
Yeah, the size and portability matter to me. I probably will just got for the Vair, if for no other reason than a little bit of a warranty. Thanks, Robert.

comptiger5000

Adventurer
If you're looking for a portable 12v setup, why not the Puma PD1006? It's only got a 1.5 gallon tank stock, but it's already set up to be portable (12v) and pushes 1.36 cfm at 90 psi.

Or, run a good size power inverter and a portable 120v compressor. That's what I do. A lot of small-ish pancake compressors will run fine off a 1500w inverter and put out 2 - 2.5 cfm at 90 psi. And the compressor itself is usually cheaper that way, so if you're already going to have a big enough inverter to run it, it's more cost effective.

silvrcummns

I have the smittybuilt and am pleased with it thus far. A day around Moab with 2 air ups. Probably 10 to 15 minutes to air all 4 35's from 28 ish psi to about 48.

My needs aren't super demanding so for me the smittybuilt is great. It does seem to take longer to fill the 4th tire then the 1st. Though I didn't wait between tires for cool down. The chord and air line should have no problem reaching anything on your vehicle.

I don't have personal experience with the viar kits but I hear good things and I would recommend the smittybuilt based on my short time with it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

FJOE

Regular Dude
Alternately, I'm tempted to just make it easy on myself and either grab a Viar 400P or a Smittybilt 2781. (I suppose I should start a separate thread comparing one to the other). Both would already come with a hose, power cables, carrying case, etc.

It really makes it easier, especially if you switch vehicles or intend on selling one in the future. My Viair 300P is great, and has been with me through 3 or 4 vehicles and is now with me overseas. Pick up some extra air filters and spare fuses, and you are all set.

Clawhammer

Adventurer
If you're looking for a portable 12v setup, why not the Puma PD1006? It's only got a 1.5 gallon tank stock, but it's already set up to be portable (12v) and pushes 1.36 cfm at 90 psi.

Short answer, size. I want something pretty small, which is why I was considering the little tankless Puma and just splicing in a set of jumper cables to power it off the battery. Basically, assembling my own "Puma" version of a small portable like the Viar or whatever. The only issue is, not being sure where to put a fuse or breaker and a switch, etc. If I saw an example I'm sure I could figure it out, but I haven't been able to find one. Oh well.

It really makes it easier, especially if you switch vehicles or intend on selling one in the future. My Viair 300P is great, and has been with me through 3 or 4 vehicles and is now with me overseas. Pick up some extra air filters and spare fuses, and you are all set.

I'm debating between the 300p and the 400p. The price isn't that much different, so I don't know, maybe the 400's worth it if it's a little more heavy duty.

I have the smittybuilt and am pleased with it thus far. A day around Moab with 2 air ups. Probably 10 to 15 minutes to air all 4 35's from 28 ish psi to about 48.

It seems like most folks who have the Smittybilt like it, but no one seems to have had one for all that long. I'd be curious to hear a more "long term" review.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior