Make my Honda Fit more travel-friendly?

WyoCherokee

Adventurer
So, slightly off topic, but a Jeep Renegade is only 7" longer and 7" wider and 7" higher than a Fit. That is a lot of difference with respect to space and capability in the car, but virtually no difference when it comes to renting a parking spot. Have you considered that change?

I was just going to suggest this. or the patriot.

Nivel Egres

Observer
I was just going to suggest this. or the patriot.
Both would take me out of the sub-compact vehicle category and into the full size price range. I have checked.

PS. Instead of modifying my Fit, I might just buy another car, a truck or an SUV and park it up-state on my property. I am just afraid that it's going to decay because it will only get driven infrequently.

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
So do they charge just by the length? If so a wide but short car would be perfect - only one that comes to mind is the AMC Pacer unfortunately...

23de359c9536bf70d31f11d4881fd289.jpg

OuterLimits

I control the horizontal and the vertical
The Fit is not the ideal vehicle for your requirements, but it's no turd in the big scheme of things.

A few days back I watched several dozen YouTube vids showing Czech lads driving truly POS, tiny little Russian or Eastern bloc cars. These are some of the crappiest cars ever manufactured. The Fit is an amazing polished diamond adventure vehicle compared to these steel heaps. The lads didn't snivel over the massive limitations. They loaded them up and drove them all over the world. It was inspiring and entertaining to watch.

Start with this vid. There are plenty more down the right column.

My old FJ60 Landcruiser had a 200 mile range. I never carried gas or ran out of gas. I planned stops more carefully. My current Escape has a 300 mile range. That feels like a plush luxury compared to the 200 on the FJ60.

In your unique situation I would get some sturdy tires. I like the idea of smaller steelies with a larger sidewall tire, but I'm guessing the selection is sparse. Pick your lines carefully when off pavement.

If you need some cheap roof rails, try a salvage lot and look for an older Escape or Explorer. They have a nice, universal style roof rail that you can rivnut to your existing roof. I dig those airline seat rails, but don't know if it is compatible with the front to rear curve of the roof line of your car.

The trailer hitch basket is a nice way of increasing capacity without messing up aerodynamics much. Easy on, easy off. Add some airbags to the rear if you get butt-sag.

Keep it simple. One thing at a time. Add or improve to mitigate actual, not perceived deficiencies.

Have fun, drive what you got!!

Last edited:

shenrie

^^^ hates cars
both Toyota and Honda make small awd wagons late 80's early 90's vintage. I know theres other makes, but I cant think of them right now. if you can find one it might be a good alternative to the other ideas mentioned.

I love my 89 civic wagon. gets 25-35 mpg depending on what toys are on top, iirc it has a 12g tank. its peppy as **** for a 1.6 and has a superlow gear. tons of aftermarket for the Hondas as well. not specifically that car, but lots of it will crossover from the 88-00 civics and 90-01 integras. so finding cheap parts to do a mild lift to fit a little bigger tires isn't hard to do.

looking up the base model fit with 100k miles in good condition says they are worth 4800 to a private party and people seem to love the fits. they get stellar reviews everywhere. for 4k you could find an old wagon, make it reliable, and outfit it pretty well. that way you aren't trying to turn a car with good resale into something it isn't and killing its resaleability, thrashing it out in the woods and drilling holes everywhere in it for the gear you want with you. wouldn't have to worry about mountain pinstripes and bottoming out every now and again either since its just an old beater. anyway, just throwing a little different idea out there. best of luck with whatever you decide.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz