Base/Chase Radio Kit that supports CB, UHF, VHF & HAM frequencies

trae

Adventurer
I saw that as well. I dont understand how radio propagation works, but I thought each band requires a different antena. How is this solved in this unit?

BigSwede

The Credible Hulk
Yeah, seems like fairly significant compromises would be needed if only one antenna is used.

More to the point, though, is I thought this sort of combo radio was illegal...although I really don't see any actual harm in it.

e60ral

2016 4Runner Trail w/KDSS
that looks right, i assume its either modified to get on CB or they import them from another market. either way, i don't know how they haven't been shutdown by the feds

prerunner1982

Adventurer
I saw that as well. I dont understand how radio propagation works, but I thought each band requires a different antena. How is this solved in this unit?

There are Quadband antennas though they are a big compromise for 10m (or in this case 11m/CB).
The antenna they show appears to be a Diamond CR-8900

Yeah, seems like fairly significant compromises would be needed if only one antenna is used.

More to the point, though, is I thought this sort of combo radio was illegal...although I really don't see any actual harm in it.

It is illegal but of course so is using frequencies that require a license without obtaining said license and that is generally what they support with their "race" and "offroad" frequencies.

Last edited:
There are Quadband antennas though they are a big compromise for 10m (or in this case 11m/CB).
The antenna they show appears to be a Diamond CR-8900

The other major negative is that the Diamond CR-8900 is quite a fragile antenna. Much more so then even the HF screwdriver that I've got.

Edit to add: RuggedRadios does not appear to be selling a real Diamond CR-8900. Their antenna description page carefully avoids saying who made the antenna. They also put the length as being 125cm whereas Diamond advertises their length as 50" (which is 127cm). The base of the antenna is also not Diamond marked in their photo.

Last edited:
LOL wow thanks for the huge laugh today. Generally Rugged Radios sells some decent stuff when it comes to in vehicle intercoms, but RADIOS! A Chinese clone of a Chinese radio and the same for the antenna. That radio is full of compromises. Yes everyone wants a band in the box radio but just not going to happen in a small form factor. No way are you going to cover from the high end of HF to the middle of the UHF bands in one box and with one antenna connector. There is a major shake up in the Chinese radio market happening or going to happen. Several Motorola engineers defected and ran off with proprietary and patented designs and software. Major lawsuits have been served. If memory serves me right, TYT, Hytera, and AnyTone are the first victims.

Interesting that when you go to that link it does list frequency range in 4 bands, but if you try to open the Frequency list PDF it is password locked. Why are they locking access to the PDF. I didn't look at the antennas offered but it maybe quad band. There is some overlap with 11 meters(CB) and 6 meters, one being the 2nd harmonic of the other.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles