Compressor Mount

I've been debating mounting my ARB dual compressor. I did a quick search but didn't see any LR4 recommendations on where folks have their air mounted.

Suggestions? Photos?

2013 LR4

Jwestpro

Explorer
Do you have dual battery or intent for dual battery?

I recall there is almost no usable extra space under the hood. Is this why you asked about battery? I have a giant odessey 2150 in the lr3 2nd battery bay but can't see how 2 can be fit into the standard location - so what's the solution?

As for compressor mount, mine is an ARB single chamber, the only thing that will really fit under the hood. If one were to remove the 3rd row seats, you could do a nice mix of things under an access floor there such as compressor, large inverter and recovery gear. The seats weigh about 80 lbs and I'm guessing my stuff which replaced them is roughly equal weight: Bushranger air-bag jack, camping tables, High lift base, bag with winch chain, 2 snatch straps, pulleys, high lift (lodged between the wheel well humps just behind the 2nd row seats when folded down and ARB 40L fridge in the center seat spot. This all tucks below the floor level and also allows use of the 2nd row seats when in place.

My inverter is only 400w so it's not very big, which allows it to be mounted inside the 3rd row side-wall plastic moulding in front of the lidded storage bin. I also have 3 more 12v sockets in that 3rd row area as well as the left one on the center stack being powered by the 2nd battery.

Just to give you all some ideas ;)

Oh, my under hood compressor fills a tank (a 2nd air suspension tank) that is mounted in the opposite location from the factory air suspension air tank seeing as there were mount points already there for it - so simple! there are outlets for it at the compressor but also inside the port side 3rd row plastic side wall 'hatch' along with the switch for the dual battery control of combined, split, etc.

@Victory_Overland -- I just picked up a used XVenture trailer with a Yeti 400. So I am going to try out that system before adding a second battery.

@JWestPro -- thanks for the layout suggestions. I am hoping to run some light tools off the compressor thus didn't go with the single chamber, a choice that may significantly limited the mounting options. I had considered using the space under and even removing the seats, as you suggest there is a lot of room there. But I also need the third row seats for extended family but not on overland treks. Perhaps I can figure out a semi perminant mount for that area.

Would love to see pictures of your setup. Sounds like you have a well thought out layout.

Jwestpro

Explorer
I am hoping to run some light tools off the compressor thus didn't go with the single chamber,

i cannot think of any worthwhile air tools that can run off the dual compressor. i have one and while it's quick, it's still not like having a large tank at 200 psi but i'm assuming you use air tools already right? Bigger though is why the heck would you feel the need to run air tools from mounted on board source? in the field even hi output battery tools are easier to maintain don't you think? what would you need that isn't in battery pack option, maybe a grinder? but again, what on earth you planning to do away from power sources ? ;)

As for mounting ideas, because i really like idea of the dual compressor, you could pull apart the 3rd row side plastic on each side to see where there's enough room but off hand, knowing what those areas look like, i think you could actually tuck it in. If you could live with just 1 3rd row seat functioning, the other one removed would free up a ton of space, especially it's foot well area. Keep in mind a fridge in 2nd row center slot makes an awesome wide armrest for the 2 outboard seats ;) that way kids can hand you a cold beer while driving on long trips LOL ;)

I'll try to post photos today. i'd love to swap in my dual replacing the single but i think it's just too tight with the gigantic 2nd battery pushing all that stuff forward already

@Jwestpro -- I have the air tools so makes sense to use them. I may not hard mount the compressor. Not really a life or death decision, just working through the options.

Trained the 9 year old to mix a G&T on the fly years ago. Truthfully, she would swirl her bottle as a baby.

I am all in on this mod. Started this morning and had everything removed within a few short hours. The terrafirma winch mount comes with no instructions, and it seems to be a mystery to the internet and the place I purchased the parts from, regarding which of the spaces goes where. But I figured out the majority through decuction and guessing. Thats when it went bad -- the winch does not fit.

I debated options and then proceeded to remove the solenoid pack and figured I would find a location to relocate. But that is not the major problem. The major issue is that the height of the winch, including the handle for free spool is too tall for the space.

Option to suggestions.

@cmb6s -- Wow, totally wrong location for my post. Had intended to follow up on a thread I began when quoted over $2,000 for install of hidden winch. My upload of a pic also seemed to fail. It would show there is zero vertical space remaining for the lever to increase.

Really at a lose for next steps other than the cutting out part of the vehicle.

The freespool level is the issue. I "urged" back some portion of the hardware where the lever was to sit. Still not enough space. So if I install with no room to access the free spool I guess that just means I reverse out the line?

I am not sure what you mean by "clock it". I have it standing on the mount plate in the location to accept the four bolts securing it to the plate.

Oh hell! So all in have to do is crack the case and turn it a few degrees? Is this effective on all winches? I'm installing a superwinch 9.5 Talon.

I really appreciate your assist on this - even when I post in wrong section. Tomorrow I hope to get the winch fitted and then move onto the challenge of cutting the bumper !

@cmb6s - where did you locate the control module? I presume ryokan rod somewhere under the hood. It's pretty full in there already on my LR4.

JAK

JAK:JeremySnow
I mounted my dual ARB compressor under the false floor just behind the rear seats. There was also room for a 2.5gal tank. This is only possible if you do not have third row seats. This is the area where feet would go in the third row if you have it.

I'm plugging along on this project and am ready to locate the siloniod next. @cmb6s - I will push my luck and ask one other question - what did you use to mount the siliniod and switch. Before mounting anything I am going to look at the plan for the compressor as well but I am guessing it will end up in the rear of the truck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ritabooke