Recomendations for offroad tough appliaces?

Ramdough

Adventurer
I have been looking at appliances for an off-road camper based on an M1083 type platform.

So far, I can't imagine how the appliances don't rattle the entire time you are driving.

Anyone have any recommendations or experience to share.

I am looking for reasonably priced appliances where possible.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldnslow

Observer
I used to own a class C motorhome. The appliances certainly do rattle the entire time you are driving. I had a lot of issues with that rig, but none of the appliances failed.

Now I have a truck camper and I don't hear them rattle anymore. I still haven't had one fail, and I spend a fair amount of time on unpaved roads.

These are regular RV appliances by Suburban, Atwood, Norcold, Dometic, ShurFlo, etc.

pugslyyy

Expedition Vehicle Engineer Guy
+1 on the standard RV appliances. They may not be as sexy as that diesel system, but they are cheap and really don't break. The reason that the RV industry has been using them unchanged and for so long...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Ramdough

Adventurer
I am leaning towards a propane oven/stove due to the cost. I will have diesel hydronic heat and hot water. The cook top and oven will be my only propane appliance, so I kind of wish I had a better option that was not crazy expensive (like diesel). I considered induction, but then I would need to run my generator every time I wanted to cook. That still may be an option, but I like cooking with fire. I might skip the oven.

Any suggestions on models and part numbers?

I am leaning towards a Colman Mach 8 Roughneck air conditioner. I found the part number, but it may be a special order to get the Roughneck. That is the lower profile air conditioner that is reinforced for off-road. Trying to minimize roof appliance height.

http://www.airxcel.com/docs/default...-8-ac/mach-8-product-literature.pdf?sfvrsn=12

I am using a Separrett composting toilet.

https://www.separett-usa.com/index.php/waterless-urine-diverting-toilet.html

My water will be heated by a coolant heated heater with an electronic backup element (still to be selected). The coolant is heated by two Eberspacher D5's (EBay deal on two).

I plan on two fold down ceiling exhaust fans. One in the shower and one over the kitchen area. These one fold low when not in use by operate in the rain when in the up position. Again, trying to minimize appliance heights on ceiling.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Vents-a...tml?feed=npn&gclid=CLXYp-7I3NMCFZC1wAodGJQHVA

This is all I have selected so far. The oven cook top would be nice to find out about. Any thoughts?

Not sure if I want a microwave. That just feels too domestic and unnecessary.

I also plan on a clothes washer/dryer single unit of some sort. But that is way down the road. Just leaving space and hookups. That would only be used when we get to the point when we can go longer term trips.

Last edited:

TernOverland

Supporting Sponsor Ternoverland.com
If you want a propane furnace, I would stay away from Suburban, and recommend Atwood instead. The "Everest" model is much quieter, and more efficient. Suburbans use a cheap and loud propeller fan, while Atwood uses a squirrel cage fan. Also, use an electronic thermostat, not the mechanical units usually sold with these furnaces!

Ramdough

Adventurer
Thanks for the response guys. I am at this point only using propane for cooking. I have diesel hydronic heaters already. That is good info if I ever find that I want propane for heating or for someone else.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a stove/oven? Would you skip the oven all together? I am not sure I would ever use an oven in a camper. At least when I camp now, I never use one. But that may because I don't have an oven.

TernOverland

Supporting Sponsor Ternoverland.com
personally, I would skip the oven. I like a small stove that can be used inside or out. This one is my current favorite: https://www.gasoneus.com/collections/portable-stoves/products/gs-800

It is well made, inexpensive, small, light, dual fuel, and very reliable. You may want a more elaborate set-up though.

Also, an aluminum hard anodized dutch oven works great on a fire. They are tough and light. good substitute for an oven. You can make biscuits, cobbler, and all kinds of stuff.
I have used mine for years. I have the smaller one.

loonwheeler

Adventurer
We have a two burner propane cooktop from Dickinson Marine. We are very pleased with the performance, reliability, and it's easy to clean.

grizzlyj

Tea pot tester
Hi

We had an oven but it was rubbish. Next truck is bigger but won't have one, gas hob only. We will have a dutch oven, an "Omnia" stove top little oven and a good pressure cooker though.

:)

Ramdough

Adventurer
That is what I am gathering..... ovens are a waste of space, but Dutch ovens are not. That was my own conclusion I was reaching, but it is nice to get confirmation. Thanks everyone.

Umtaneum

Adventurer
If you are leaning towards cooktop only, you might consider something you can use indoors and out, like TernOverland said above. My current favorite is a Cook Partner, all stainless two burner. You could set it into a recess in your counter, and just haul it outside when you want to cook under the sky. It works great with a Dutch Oven, as well.

Ramdough

Adventurer
I have been thinking of building in an induction cooker, then have a portable cook top to move in and out of the camper as you suggest.

Darwin

Explorer
I would go with Propane all the way unless you plan to stay for longer than 6 months in south america. Lots of nice propane appliences and they are reliable.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jgrillz94