Not So Subtle E350 Shuttle - 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed

sakurama

Adventurer
Looking good. I’m really looking forward to your experience moving into the aluminum welding on the roof rack. I’ve been playing with it for a while now, and I’m curious what tips and tricks you will come up with. Like I think you admitted, I struggle with controlling heat input. With aluminum, managing heat is even harder. I tend to ruin the temper so badly that while creating a pretty weld that sections well, I will fail a bend test by tearing the weakened base material at the weld toe. You always do a good job explaining your struggles and your problem solving, I hope you can shed some light. Thanks for putting all this out here

Thanks.

I was talking to my friend Taylor the other day about how, the more I use the van, the more I like the idea of converting it to a camper. I bought the van to tow the trailer and while we are still having struggles on that front it's doing the job. It struggles on the steep climbs or perhaps it is what it is - I'm not sure.

i-23xgLsn-X2.jpg

In my mind I thought that I'd be flying up mountain passes at 65 but the reality is that 6-7% grades require second gear and 40-45mph. This past trip it was 100 degrees and the temp gauge inside never moved but we overheated on a 20 mile monster hill out of Fossil, OR. Actually cracked the radiator on that one. I maybe should have gone with 4:56 or 4:88 instead of 4:30's. Anyway, the camper is a large thing that is both very cool, comfortable and really nice to have for longer trips with the family but it's also a drag.

i-rbJJgwN-X2.jpg

What it is not good at is exploring and going into the mountains. Something the van really excels at. My friend Ben has an amazingly set up FJ cruiser with a roof top tent. I love how self contained his set up is. He's actually considering putting the tent on a trailer because the drag for him is having to take the tent down if you want to run into town to grab groceries or something.

Anyway I was telling Taylor how I wish I could convert my van to a popup camper and he explained how they're a nice idea but I end up with the same problems Ben has - has to be pulled down any time you move, isn't insulated or weather proof for the cold - and that the solution is probably to put a real high top on. So that is probably what I'm going to do.

And to answer to your question about the welding I think I'll still go ahead and build the rack for the roof of this top and then I'll be able to sell the whole thing and replace it with something taller. I guess it's something that I couldn't have known before getting and using the van and seeing the evolution of it's use. So now it looks like I'm going to work towards actually converting this to a stripped down camper with a high top like Jsweezy put on his. It's tall but it never needs to come down and allows the van to have a sleeping loft and I'll put in upper windows.

i-vDGjT9T-X2.jpg

So rather than save this aluminum I'm still going to make a roof rack for this top and have been experimenting with my settings. What I'm learning is that aluminum has a far smaller window of correct amperage. Also, that it requires some speed. You can pause on steel or slow down a bit but aluminum doesn't like that and it heat soaks. Getting those shiny, smooth stacks is more about keeping the puddle cool, adding enough filler and not putting in too many amps. That central weld is a good example - the left side of the tube the fillet is too cold but the right side is about perfect. They were probably at nearly the same amperage with only speed and feed differences. It's a very tiny window of "correct" and the only thing that will get me closer is more hood time.

The good news is that any of those weld beads would be sufficient for a roof rack. I've at least progressed to that point. Building this is going to teach me heat control and welding out of position. Part of what makes a great welder is consistency under all conditions. So once I get there I'll let you know what settings I end up with and what works. You can see the tube is 1/8" wall and it could certainly be smaller wall but that is a hedge against my learning curve. A buffer if you will.

More soon!

Gregor

douglawrence42

Thanks for the quick reply. There are a million videos and experts out there telling you how to weld aluminum. But most of these guys have been masters for so long they have forgotten what it was like to suck. Having someone who has just been through the learning curve and who is good at explaining what they learned is extra valuable. One of the reasons you thread rocks. Your welds pass the pretty test!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sakurama

Adventurer
Good work. Tip, put some plastic wrap between the can and lid when you reseal the POR15 can so you can get it open again.

Yeah, I'll try that next time. That is some insanely tenacious stuff. I've never experienced anything so strong in my life. I feel pretty confident that it will outlast the van and perhaps cockroaches as well.

Gregor

Numbchux

Yeah, I'll try that next time. That is some insanely tenacious stuff. I've never experienced anything so strong in my life. I feel pretty confident that it will outlast the van and perhaps cockroaches as well.

Gregor

I agree, the first time I tried to reopen a can that had only be closed for a couple days, I was hooked. I buy the 6-packs of little 4oz cans and use it on almost everything: bumpers, frames, body work, calipers, a steel flower pot stand for my wife, wrought iron railing on our front stairs, Plow mount for my ATV, etc. etc.

Just make sure to top coat it if it's exposed to UV and you care what it looks like, as the finish will fade.

86scotty

Cynic
I agree, the first time I tried to reopen a can that had only be closed for a couple days, I was hooked. I buy the 6-packs of little 4oz cans and use it on almost everything: bumpers, frames, body work, calipers, a steel flower pot stand for my wife, wrought iron railing on our front stairs, Plow mount for my ATV, etc. etc.

Just make sure to top coat it if it's exposed to UV and you care what it looks like, as the finish will fade.

I'm addicted to it as well. I use it on everything nowadays. The little cans are awesome.

UHAULER

Explorer
I've been following your build since you started it. Have you thought about downsizing the trailer now that you might camperize the van ? Being a dirtbike guy, you might like the Carson rebel toy hauler. It's only 7' wide x 14' long. I had one and regret getting rid of it. Sleep 2 in the van and 2 in the trailer.
If you are ever in the Nevada City, Ca area I can show you some good singletrack.
Sean

Attachments

• DSCN0121copy.jpg
    DSCN0121copy.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN0205copy.jpg
    DSCN0205copy.jpg
    199.1 KB · Views: 74
  • DSCN0194copy.jpg
    DSCN0194copy.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 72

sakurama

Adventurer
I've been following your build since you started it. Have you thought about downsizing the trailer now that you might camperize the van ? Being a dirtbike guy, you might like the Carson rebel toy hauler. It's only 7' wide x 14' long. I had one and regret getting rid of it. Sleep 2 in the van and 2 in the trailer.
If you are ever in the Nevada City, Ca area I can show you some good singletrack.
Sean

No, only because the trailer was my fathers who passed away a couple of years ago. I've been restoring it for the last couple years and am getting pretty close to having it very complete. It also serves as a guess house when we have friends visit which works well. But mostly I keep it because it was my fathers and he and I really loved the vintage trailers and he looked for this one for quite a while. So sentimental reasons will keep me from getting a different one.

I would love to ride some single track in down there! My friend Ben and I are going to bring dirt bikes down to Parumph, NV in November for a Jimmy Lewis School again. Maybe we can swing by if we take a Western route.

Gregor

Village Idiot
What welding machine are you using? 6061.com has a great tutorial series. It costs $30-40 but worth it.

I have a HTP 221 but can’t really use it due to our house power is barley 100 amp service. I’ve been on the hunt for a generator for my welding machine but it’s not high on the list.

sakurama

Adventurer
What welding machine are you using? 6061.com has a great tutorial series. It costs $30-40 but worth it.

I have a Miller Dynasty 200DX and I subscribe to 6061.com - I love his videos. I feel that to make a big jump in my aluminum welding will require two things: some in person instruction and hood time. The rack will give me some hood time. As for the in person instruction I'd like to find someone that I could take some personal lessons from. I've been in touch with Winchester Metal Works as he's started offering some personal 1 on 1 instruction but he's rather far away in California. If I can line up a business trip that get's me close I'd make the time. Or if I can find someone here local I'd do that.

If you keep up with Jody at Welding Tips and Tricks he just did a video with Mike Zanconato who is a stellar bicycle frame builder. I think that bicycle builders are some of the best out there and he specializes in aluminum. His latest video on YouTube was great because there's lots of good arc shots.

One thing that I learned on my own and the Zaconato video reinforced was that manual pulsing is the way to have more control. When my welds look the best it's when I'm taking my time to pulse, feeding more rod than I'd think and letting the puddle cool as I move to the next spot. It feels almost like a sequential tack weld - or a rhythmic tack weld - because I'm backing off so much. The thing is that I'm not good enough to feed as quickly as you have to to keep the puddle cool. That's done with speed and feed. Adding filler significantly cools the puddle and speed keeps heat from building up in the part. All of this ends up meaning you're not cooking the filler or part which is what makes the weld look gritty. Being a noob you're going slow and it's nearly impossible to get a good looking weld as you dumb heat into the part. It's almost like the only way to walk a tightrope is to run.

All this is what I've been picking up on my own and seeing the Zanconato video showed me that I'm on the right path. His speed is slower than I expected and that is a product of his careful deliberate style but mostly his manual pulsing.

I have 220 service in my garage - tons of it actually - so I can run my Dynasty 200 full out. Something the van is requiring me to do quite often. I'm in the middle of other stuff on the van but I'm hoping to get the rear tire rack built this coming week.

Gregor

Reactions: 225

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior