Not So Subtle E350 Shuttle - 100% Satisfaction Guaranteed

Petrolburner

Explorer
Sakurama, unfortunately the Ford vans are pretty easy to break into, and the methods are well known by thieves. Probably because there are so many of them parked on the streets every night with lots of valuable tools that are easy to sell. It might be worth considering some additional security on your van with the equipment inside. Up to you. When I bought my van I was so happy to have everything locked inside. I found out if you drill a hole in that plastic license plate dish on the back door you can unlock it pretty easily. It hasn't happened to me, and in fact when my van was broken into the thief just broke my driver's side window. I don't want to piss in you Cheerios but just be aware. Admittedly, nothing is ever really theft proof anyway.

sakurama

Adventurer
Sakurama, unfortunately the Ford vans are pretty easy to break into.... I don't want to piss in you Cheerios but just be aware. Admittedly, nothing is ever really theft proof anyway.

When I lived in NYC my pickup was broken into every year or two. Tinting the windows helped but forgetting my GPS once saw a window broken and my on board tools stolen with the GPS. A week later with the truck empty and the glove box open the window was smashed again to get 65 cents in the center console - that was the final straw.

The single best thing that I've done to prevent theft is move to Oregon. That's reduced the number of times my truck has been broken into to zero.

I get that locks only stop honest people so I have insurance but living where I do mitigates most of it. I still take precautions but they're of the common sense sort - like backing against a wall so the doors won't open. Camera's come inside all the time while strobes can sleep in the van on a job. Years of international travel with expensive gear, living in NYC when it wasn't a Disney playground and never being mugged has left me pretty aware. I've got a decent track record but I still think about it.

Gregor

sakurama

Adventurer
OK I just put two and two together! Your the garage journal guy!

Ha, yeah, I guess so. I do build threads as a way to keep track and keep my progress going. Oddly they seem to take off.

The garage Journal guy who makes me spend money on Festool and Ohto Penciles

********** Gregor:bike_rider:

Oh, come on. You love it. Pencils are cheaper than vans too.

G

java

Expedition Leader
Ha, yeah, I guess so. I do build threads as a way to keep track and keep my progress going. Oddly they seem to take off.

G

Very cool, I just read thru your house thread last week, and got to the Van part this morning :) I am caught up now!

And the Festool demo truck was parked across from my office a couple weeks ago.... I had to stay away....

Jeffer949

Observer
[QUOTE

G[/QUOTE]

Ya but not cheaper than mid-century modern houses. But I cant give you complete blame for this one. My wife always liked them a lot and so did I but not enough to LOOK for one. After your thread I realized I love open floor plans. So our search has narrowed a lot. Small towns in Kansas dont have to many of them.

Jeffer949

Observer

G

Ya but not cheaper than mid-century modern houses. But I cant give you complete blame for this one. My wife always liked them a lot and so did I but not enough to LOOK for one. After your thread I realized I love open floor plans. So our search has narrowed a lot. Small towns in Kansas dont have to many of them.

sakurama

Adventurer

It's worth it. I feel claustrophobic now when I'm in a normal house with the low ceilings.

I also feel very small when I drive a car now. I've gotten used to being 7' off the ground.

G

sakurama

Adventurer
I've been working a lot on the house after the busy fall. One thing I wanted to do was take a little personal time and do some riding with my friend Ben. Months ago we signed up for the Jimmy Lewis Offroad school so we loaded up the bikes and drove out in the rain to Parumph, NV.

i-Km9hjmf-X2.jpg

I took out the second row of seats so we could fit our two dirt bikes.

i-s78KnB4-X2.jpg

The class was awesome and two days of riding in nice weather was a real treat. Jimmy is a super talented rider and the highest placing American in the Paris Dakar as a factory BMW rider.

i-2qjrSh8-X2.jpg

My little KTM was a great bike for the class and the time spent concentrating on basics was very useful.

i-fR3SSHM-X2.jpg

The van got a lot of compliments and every single time my friend Ben went to get in he would laugh at how high the rig was. He has a pretty awesome Toyota FJ but it's not quite as high as the van.

i-wD5DZmj-X2.jpg

On the way down I wasn't sure why but the van was turning 10-11mpg which I couldn't understand. We were traveling at 75+ but still. Once in Parumph I saw the tires seemed low and checked them - 25-28psi all the way around. I think the mechanic that changed the oil thought they were being helpful and reset the pressure. We stopped by a tire place and set the pressure to 65psi and on the way home we were getting 14-15mpg. I think my next set of tires will be a bit narrower to try to squeeze out a bit more mileage. Otherwise I was pretty happy with the van on the trip.

More work coming in the new year.

Gregor

sakurama

Adventurer
Quick update as I'm about to start a small next project for the van and could use advice from others who may have been down the road before.

The point of this van was to replace my pickup with something more secure, more capable and of course more awesome. It's done that now on all fronts. In fact a few weeks back we were getting into the van after having dinner out and a guy came running out of the restaurant, sprinted over to my window and I thought for sure something was leaking or I'd run over something and he was coming to let me know.

Nope. He tapped frantically at the window until I rolled it down, "Does this have a 7.3 in it?" he asked breathlessly. "Um, of course it does" I say.

"Oh. My. God!" he turns to his wife, "I told you! This is the most awesome truck in the entire universe! Are you kidding!?!? This thing is freaking AWESOME! Dude, give me a high five!"

I kid you not. If that sort of thing didn't happen about once a week I'd be freaked out. He was perhaps the most enthusiastic person we've encountered and he stood by his car while we started up and when he heard the diesel he jumped in the air and whooped and hollered until we were out of sight.

So, awesome, the van has down pat.

Carrying dirt bikes the van does well and we managed to fit four last weekend:

i-fC32v27-X2.jpg

The small ones are no problem but my 250 is tall enough to just hit the rear bulkhead after it rolls in requiring the bike to be tipped heavily to one side which can then make the bike leak some gas. Not much but obviously it's not ideal. It's really only the last 6 inches are really in the way. How hard can it be?

i-n24mL9d-X2.jpg

So my plan now is to remove it and reshape it to set it at an angle so as to gain a few more inches and make loading the bikes a more seamless affair.

i-DnWwfJN-X2.jpg

Once the fascia has been removed you can see the stock roof is there. There's a 3/4" piece of angled steel screwed into the sides and then into the remaining roof. It seems about as janky a solution as you could come up with.

i-6FbMvXM-X2.jpg

i-CgFHt6F-X2.jpg

My thought is to cut out the roof to a few inches short of the doors and add an arched and braced steel replacement bracket that would connect the sides. I asked MG about it and he said to just be sure to keep the door frames intact. I won't get rid of the roof but I'll cut it back 8-10" which should give me a good straight line from the door to the remaining roof. From there I'll build a face and try to come up with some sides that make it look okay. I'll build some sealed boxes for the speakers which should help them as well.

If anyones done anything like this chime in. I'm nervous to just unbolt the brace and have the rear spring apart and break the seal on the roof. I doubt that would happen but the idea of trying to clamp an entire van back into shape sounds like a pretty horrible thing. I think I'd like to make the brace first, bolt it into place through both the roof and the sides, with a spacer to keep it aligned, and once that's in place remove the brace, cut the roof and then make the panels.

Any thoughts?

Gregor

Corneilius

Adventurer
Alternate plan: Can you compress your front end with a ratchet strap or other device before you load the bike? I carry my Suzuki on the back but it'll compress several inches if I just keep cranking. Id be wary of cutting too much top out, and I know on my hightop I love the storage fore and aft.

Double alternate: If thats not enough ^^^ can you flip your bars down? Maybe theres enough slack in cables and wires to drop them.

ohsix

Alternate plan: Can you compress your front end with a ratchet strap or other device before you load the bike? I carry my Suzuki on the back but it'll compress several inches if I just keep cranking. Id be wary of cutting too much top out, and I know on my hightop I love the storage fore and aft.

Double alternate: If thats not enough ^^^ can you flip your bars down? Maybe theres enough slack in cables and wires to drop them.

I have a standard roof E350 and it's very tight getting full size dirt bikes in. I'm planning to try a holeshot device on the bikes to clear the top of the bars a little better while loading.

I can get my 15 YZ250FX, which is a tall bike, and my 15 KTM 250XC with 1" bar rise, into my E250 without having too much problem, *if* the hand guards/deflectors are removed, and any bar or top clamp mounted accessories are folded down. It is snug at the rear doors tho, I have 3/4" stall mats on the floor. I have ramps that are about 6' long and and place them on the step bumper, so maybe its the angle of entry that facilitates things?

As for your bulkhead, if the old roof spot welds are gone, I'd run some self tappers in, flip the bracing on top of the old roof, and then frame it back in for speakers and possible some storage?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
norcalmaier