Discovery 2 Ham Radio Antenna Locations ?

NWDISCO2

So with all the searching on this website and many others, I seem to be having an issue. Where is the most optima location to mount a VHF/UHF antenna. Mind you The discovery does not have a roof rack. It does have a factory brush guard. I don't really want to drill any holes in the roof, being it already rains inside and I don't really want any more water intrusion. So what have people done for antenna locations, and mounts.

PhulesAU

Explorer
Roof racks don't make the Optimum list. www.k0bg.com for mounting pictures that might give you an idea, and an explanation why. Why not use the hood lip like a Jeep?

NWDISCO2

Thought about the hood location. just trying to hear or see what others have done. I know that with VHF/UHF radio antennas having more metal under the antenna is always a good idea.

prerunner1982

Adventurer
If you are wanting it for vehicle to vehicle comms over some distance go with the roof mount, if done right it won't leak. The NMO mount has one o-ring and the antenna has another so as long as the area you put it is flat it will seal fine. Quick story... I went on a camping trip this last weekend with other ham Jeepers, I ended up running down the highway with one of them and were meeting the others at the camp site. The guy I was running with could talk with another member 25 miles away, they were both using roof mounted 5/8 wave 2m antennas. I was running a fender mount dual band antenna (1/2 wave on 2m) and could not hear the guy 25 miles away. That was a real eye opener and luckily my XJ that I am building already has a roof mounted antenna.

Last edited:

NWDISCO2

I was planing on vehicle to vehicle, but with the option of being able to reach out and be able to talk some distance when and if I need to. I cant seem to find a good location on the roof due to the duel sunroofs. I might have to just go with a fender mount and check my output on that.

bendts

Thought about the hood location. just trying to hear or see what others have done. I know that with VHF/UHF radio antennas having more metal under the antenna is always a good idea.

Have a 2m/440 Dual band mounted to the front passenger side of the hood - never had an issue with repeaters and it keeps them from snapping off for the most part like they do on a roof - I can't see that 3' lower (3' vs 9') than a roof mount will make any real difference in your signal quality. Mounting on the Hood keeps the antenna away from the body, unlike those who mount antennas right off the spare tire carrier with the antenna 3 inches from the body panels.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rinzlerz