Driving characteristics?

Ultralite

Adventurer
I've been slowly considering different 4x4s for a long time. Right now I get my adventuring done in a Chevy Express 2500 with a locking diff since I tow some things and I have a nearly tall as me teenage son. We both sleep in it.

The Express, while a passenger van, is basically commercial grade with its tow package and 6.0 engine. And it drives like it too. At some point I want to transition to something a little more capable off road that is also a little bit more of a refined ride. I hesitate to use the word "refined" on an off road forum but I hope you know what I mean. I'm guessing Gwagen owners have likely owned other German cars.

As an example, my favorite daily is my 2002 BMW wagon. I bought it used just a year or two ago. As a 15 year old car I can't get over how well it drives and how good it feels. I ran errands today in pouring down rain, it felt so sure footed and the cabin was quiet.

I didn't buy it because it was a "luxury brand". I bought it because I had driven one and for cars, there's nothing quite like it for me.

As a contrast, I recently test drove a brand new Jeep Unlimited and a brand new Tacoma. I know they're capable off road. But there was tons of plastic cheapness inside. Highway noise was awful. I have to drive 1.5+ hours to dirt roads so highway noise matters to me. I guess I'm looking for "capability plus".

I live in Atlanta. The only Gs I see are driven by rappers. Judging by the wheels I'm guessing they don't take them off road. But since I like to buy used, I think there may be an opportunity to find one at some point that I could transition to off road purposes. That's basically what I did with my BMW. Folks around here tend to buy them as status symbols not really understanding what a capable vehicle they have. But, I get to buy them at a discount.

So I've never been inside one much less ever driven one. I'm not trying to compare it against a car, I'm just relaying my car experience to describe what I hope to accomplish with a 4x4.

Could the Gwagen be that vehicle?

jolly

The G could be that car, depending on what year you want to buy. Driving-wise they're all very carlike. The interior changed over the years, i think the newer ones are *the* car for you. The older the model is, the more it depends on what you expect or tolerate.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
The G is NOT a car. It is a truck that drives like a truck and is very capable off road. I live in Atlanta, am NOT a rapper and have been driving a G since 1984.

Ultralite

Adventurer
I know it's not a car, and I thought it would be hard to articulate this. The car example is the closest I can describe for what I'm looking for.

My BMW is capable for its primary mission; road trips, commuting, and driving fun. But the build quality offers so many things in addition.

The modern domestic trucks I've been in seem luxurious to the point of being ridiculous. The Jeep and Tacoma seemed so cheap on the inside.

The Range Rover looks like it would be another candidate to offer capability and a little refinement but I have a preference for German engineering.

I guess I was looking for some more information on the "interior experience" like ride quality. It's understandably very easy to find information on the off road capabilities.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
I guess I was looking for some more information on the "interior experience" like ride quality. It's understandably very easy to find information on the off road capabilities.

You just need to drive one to see what it's like on the road.

I've driven both of my G's (1984 280GE and 2000 G500) from Atlanta to AZ, CO & UT and back many times. They are not cars, but are A-OK for long highway trips as far as I'm concerned. Just be prepared for a second mortgage to pay fuel costs - 12 mpg city and 15 mpg highway on premium gasoline.

DUTCH

Curmudgeon
Scott Brady touches on it here at 5:25 http://youtu.be/gQfFO51TJh4

I've always respected his opinion. Does this ring true with other owners here? Especially compared to other 4x4s you've owned?

The vehicle bears very little resemblance to the G's that are available and sold in the US; so there's no real comparison possible. Also, he really ought to learn how to correctly pronounce Geländewagen.

Last edited:
I think the G has "it". I've always loved my friends 911, because even though it's a modest 2002 targa (perhaps the least desirable 911), it just drives *nice*. I think the G has the same charms. I've had a lot of trucks and by far the G is the most solid, quality feeling truck I've driven. I love my '13 4runner trail edition but it's an unfortunate comparison when you drive them back to back.

koly

Observer
For 4x4's, if you're comparing Jeeps and Tacomas to the G, the cabin, interior, and build quality of the G is IMO far better and less chintzy. If you're looking for something not as much of a 'commercial grade' truck, the G would not be it, because it is an old school truck; solid axles front and rear, and coil-sprung suspension, it's shaped like a refrigerator.

My G has been my daily driver for almost 10 years, and whenever I get in my wife's car or one of my company fleet Tacomas, I'm left wanting by the handling, acceleration, better AC, and the quiet cabins of those 'lesser' vehicles. (The G is decently quiet up to ~50mph. At that point, the box shape trying to cut through the wind takes over and the noise increases exponentially. Over 60 mph, I can believably pretend I didn't hear what my wife said.)

That said, I've off-roaded my G extensively over those 10 years, and I still do not have any creaks/squeaks/rattles/groans/annoying noises related to being shaken up too much, which I could not say the same for regarding my previous 2 Land Rovers and 1 Jeep; the build quality is there.

zimm

Expedition Leader
the G is truck, but its been tuned to be a car for years.

the advantage is high speed stability for a rig with a narrow track and high COG and roof. if youre the type of guy that stacks **** on the roof, even better.

the price you pay is articulation. it sucks. it completely negates any advantage of the live front axle, for the purpose most people want a live front axle for in the first place. yes it does have lockers front and rear stock, but thats a 3000 dollar adder on any other truck so, its a patch. what lockers DONT do is replace the stability off road you lose, when wheels are in the air.

so as far as the "car" comment goes, lets say, its been tuned to "mall cruiser" use much more than a landcruiser even with its ifs.

on one hand its nice to have 6" less of width to deal with offroad, and moreso because unlike a 100lc, much of the width is a flare, on the other, having the tires so close to frame in front makes for a wide turning radius. enough thats its quite noticeable. its closer to an f350 than a landcruiser. due to the geometry, a minor 2" lift has a noticeable affect in DD driving.

build is solid and luxurious, but it will always have cockpit quirks stemming from the 1970's german jeep design spec. it can"t compete with newer luxury designs like an lx570 or 470 in that regard. It is what it is, and its something that never bothered me.

like all luxury SUV's, its a primma donna when it ages. parts are the same cost no matter the depreciation, and you'll find theres nothing special about Bosch parts vs Delphi vs Aisin other than cost, when they are roll stamped with an MB parts number. think of it as like owning a house in an expensive neighborhood. even if its paid for, the taxes suck.

resale is the strong suit, assuming you pay to keep it up. the market bottoms at twice that of an LC. like i noted in another thread, spend 30-35 and in 5 years you get it back. you cant say that with a 200lc.

MetalDog

Observer
the G is truck, but its been tuned to be a car for years.

the advantage is high speed stability for a rig with a narrow track and high COG and roof. if youre the type of guy that stacks **** on the roof, even better.

the price you pay is articulation. it sucks. it completely negates any advantage of the live front axle, for the purpose most people want a live front axle for in the first place. yes it does have lockers front and rear stock, but thats a 3000 dollar adder on any other truck so, its a patch. what lockers DONT do is replace the stability off road you lose, when wheels are in the air.

so as far as the "car" comment goes, lets say, its been tuned to "mall cruiser" use much more than a landcruiser even with its ifs.

on one hand its nice to have 6" less of width to deal with offroad, and moreso because unlike a 100lc, much of the width is a flare, on the other, having the tires so close to frame in front makes for a wide turning radius. enough thats its quite noticeable. its closer to an f350 than a landcruiser. due to the geometry, a minor 2" lift has a noticeable affect in DD driving.

build is solid and luxurious, but it will always have cockpit quirks stemming from the 1970's german jeep design spec. it can"t compete with newer luxury designs like an lx570 or 470 in that regard. It is what it is, and its something that never bothered me.

like all luxury SUV's, its a primma donna when it ages. parts are the same cost no matter the depreciation, and you'll find theres nothing special about Bosch parts vs Delphi vs Aisin other than cost, when they are roll stamped with an MB parts number. think of it as like owning a house in an expensive neighborhood. even if its paid for, the taxes suck.

resale is the strong suit, assuming you pay to keep it up. the market bottoms at twice that of an LC. like i noted in another thread, spend 30-35 and in 5 years you get it back. you cant say that with a 200lc.

Zimm always comes across as so antagonistic and negative. Sheesh.

So here goes... The G is awesome, but you have to be dedicated to it, in order to put up with many of its idiosyncrasies. Having owned a 2008 Landcruiser, 2015 Range Rover and now a 2015 G550, I can say the Landcruiser will best fit most, if not all of your needs. It's probably the best truck I've ever owned. My wife has a 2017 LX570 (essentially a 200 series landcruiser), which she really likes... but I wish I had just bought her the updated Landcruiser. Not a fan of the air suspension on the LX.

With that said, some people just need to own a G to get it out of their blood. If that's you, then don't try and justify it. Just say to yourself that you think it's ************ and would like to see what the fuss is all about. = D

zimm

Expedition Leader
and you come a cross as a wanker that just wants to take the opportunity to let people know you wasted a quarter mil on cars for driveway candy. ive owned all of them longer than you have, and to top it off, i actually wheel them, i don't take them to the hospital to impress the nurses. i know how they handle at 100 and .01 mph.

that was that was a purely factual post. the dude buys 15yo cars, not 20'15's so he needs to know the truth, not fanboy bull****.

like, if he buys a pre MBUSA G, he better know how to rip out the entire interior to change the 750 dollar HVAC fan motor, or, be able to scrounge up the ONE comparable (no 3rd speed resistor) motor for 80.

or, if he buys a 2002, he should know windows wearing out 'regula'rly, puts the 'regula', the term window 'regula'tor. they aren't cheap, and doing it once on a door does not mean you wont do it a second time.... or a third.

he ought to be told. no this isnt a 4runner, but you pay at the back end as well as front on this deal.

Last edited:

MetalDog

Observer
and you come a cross as a wanker that just wants to take the opportunity to let people know you wasted a quarter mil on cars for driveway candy. ive owned all of them longer than you have, and to top it off, i actually wheel them, i don't take them to the hospital to impress the nurses. i know how they handle at 100 and .01 mph.

that was that was a purely factual post. the dude buys 15yo cars, not 20'15's so he needs to know the truth, not fanboy bull****.

like, if he buys a pre MBUSA G, he better know how to rip out the entire interior to change the 750 dollar HVAC fan motor, or, be able to scrounge up the ONE comparable (no 3rd speed resistor) motor for 80.

or, if he buys a 2002, he should know windows wearing out 'regula'rly, puts the 'regula', the term window 'regula'tor. they aren't cheap, and doing it once on a door does not mean you wont do it a second time.... or a third.

he ought to be told. no this isnt a 4runner, but you pay at the back end as well as front on this deal.

Lol, thanks for proving my point Zimm. I wheel them all minus the 570, but thanks for the insight. Did someone hurt you once? Like deep down in your private places? Tool.

Ultralite

Adventurer
Well, I didn't mean to stir up any hard feelings, I actually really appreciate the replies.

Today a car friend came by my office to show me his new to him Porsche Boxster S (986). He let me drive it. He's owned way more cars than me, and from all the "nationalities"; German, British, Italian, and American.

As we zipped along, well within the speed limit but enjoying a curvy road nonetheless, we both commented on how there's just something about German engineering. This ride felt so civilized.

The point about parts is well taken. I already have a good size fleet to take care of, and all my cars are in good driving order. I don't leave any sitting. The cost may scare me away in the end.

At some point when kids are grown and they maybe take possession of the old VWs we have ( they've both claimed one) I'd like to be down to one GT and one 4x4. Maybe the Gwagen fits then. I don't know....

Haf-E

Expedition Leader
You might consider a Sprinter 4x4 once they start hitting the used market. My 2002 has 200k+ on it and is still solid and mostly trouble free. They drive like a much smaller car than they are - and you can easily set it up for sleeping in. Unfortunately the towing rating sucks on them - I think they are all still 5000 lbs - but I think you would like it much more than the Express van.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles