The Horizon Tour Toyota Tacoma Adventure Build

motolady

The Road is Calling
Hello everyone! I'm brand spankin' new to this site, but know lots of folks who use and love it and decided my upcoming road trip is the perfect reason to sign up. I'm a motorcycle journalist taking off on 3+ month trip where I'll be mostly living out of my Tacoma with my dog (and a motorcycle on the back). There will be lots of little projects for the build out and I figured it would be cool to keep updates here in case my ****-ups help anyone else! I dubbed the trip the Horizon Tour.

Alright, it's a 1998 Toyota Tacoma 4x4 with a 2.7L 4 cylinder engine, 6 ish inch lift (bought it that way), purple SR5 named the Purple Prius Eater. I bought it with 130k miles, it now has 190k.

So far I've dumped a bunch of cash (and time) into it because well, I love the damn thing.
New (45k) import engine
Clutch
Drive shaft rebuild (upgraded U-joints)
Center support bearing
Upgraded struts
Sway bar (other one snapped. yep.)
New tires
Spark plugs & wires, battery cables
IAC clean
Fuel pump

Today I scored an ARE canopy / cap with Thule luggage racks, Smittybuilt 4x2 defender rack complete with four Rigid D-Series spot lights on craigslist. It's even got the kick *** double rear door situation going on. :Wow1:

build-050417-tacoma-canopy1-1300px.jpgbuild-050417-tacoma-canopy2-1300px.jpgbuild-050417-tacoma-canopy3-1300px.jpgbuild-050417-defenderrack-1300px.jpg

Next up I need to see if the mounting bars that came with the luggage rack will work on my truck, and if not modify them to do so. Wire up the lights. Pull off the canopy and pop out the rear dent I have from someone hitting my parked car a while back (no note, super nice) so the canopy seals and sits right.

After that I'm working on figuring out the swing-out motorcycle tow hitch mount and starting on my long to-do list! Including...

solar shower
solar panels
fold out table on swing-out moto mount for cooking that doubles for clipping on gear such as splitter, axe, machete...
pull out under bed storage drawers
under seat lock boxes
retractable sun shade
front & rear light bars
brush/grill guard & winch
access ladders
ceiling mounted molle storage rack in cabin
rear seat molle storage
memory foam bed with heated dog bed area (because my old lady dog is my princess)

Some of the inspiration photos (you may recognize them, haha).

swingout-moto-carrier.jpgadvrig2.jpgadvrig1.jpgadvrig3.jpgadvrig4.jpg

Last edited:

FAW3

Adventurer
Enjoy your journey and your build! That is a great platform, and a great score on the ARE cap! Those extra "headroom inches" really make a difference in living room and with the door "up" you have a small rain/sun canopy at the rear!

Your example photos cover a range of mods. I trended toward going simple: A Tacoma long bed, a Leer cap (with the extra 4" of headroom), a cot, and plastic storage bins, some LED lighting & 12vt. power charging ports. Got me "on the road" quickly and I've found it works so well, I haven't gone further into more extensive/fixed mods.

Are you planning to carry a MC also? I use a VersaHaul carrier off a 2" receiver for a KLR or our smaller DR200. The weight and added overhang length is a consideration when off pavement, as is access to the cap area, when loaded with a motorcycle. Had to add supplemental lighting (used an LED strip light) to the rear of the carrier to have good brake/turn light visibility and needed to add supplemental rear suspension support (SumoSprings).

Fun & safe travels!

motolady

The Road is Calling
Swing Out Motorcycle Carrier & Rack Attack!

ppe-rackattack-glasswall1-1500px.jpg

Alright I'm starting to check stuff off the list! Tow hitch mounted swing out motorcycle carrier is a day or so from completion... just a couple details like a new tie down mounting bar (I don't like the middle one) and painting it. ✔

My original blueprints..
blueprint.jpg
blueprint-frontbumper.jpg

Sealed bed rails for weatherproofing canopy ✔
Driver side ARE canopy window seal replaced ✔
Roof luggage bars relocated for cargo box ✔
Thule cargo box obtained and installed ✔
Truck cab Yakima luggage bars installed ✔
Defender rack with Rigid spot lights mounted up ✔ (lights to be wired)
Front bumper designed and steel obtained ✔

My buddy who's helping me make velcro curtains (one privacy screen that allows light with a blackout layer on top) is almost done with those, and I'm about to start on my truck bed storage system and bed frame. Pretty stoked at the moment.

I'm still trying to figure out if I want Rotopax for water & fuel (I can mount them under the vehicle) or regular jerry cans, as well as if I should ever bother with a solar shower etc etc. I'm running out of time for the build (as is want to happen with projects and road trips).

A peek at the motorcycle carrier:

swingoutmotocarrier.jpg
swingoutmotocarrier-alicia.jpg

Attachments

• blueprint-frontbumper.jpg
    blueprint-frontbumper.jpg
    554.2 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Very cool. Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

That's a great score on the topper. I would leave it white. Much cooler that way. Love mine.

motolady

The Road is Calling
Your example photos cover a range of mods. I trended toward going simple: A Tacoma long bed, a Leer cap (with the extra 4" of headroom), a cot, and plastic storage bins, some LED lighting & 12vt. power charging ports. Got me "on the road" quickly and I've found it works so well, I haven't gone further into more extensive/fixed mods.

How did you install your charging ports? Are they hooked up to a secondary battery, or to the truck's main battery? I'm wanting to do a solar panel set up, even if small.

Very cool. Looking forward to seeing this one come together.

That's a great score on the topper. I would leave it white. Much cooler that way. Love mine.

Thank you! I thought I wouldn't want to leave it white when I first went to check it out, but I love it. And it's a little beat up which matches my truck, ha! Good score from craigslist at the right time for sure... I was getting the window seal replaced at an ARE dealership (Northwest Truck & Auto Accessories) and asked them how much it would be new... $3,295! Made me feel better about what I paid for it.

FJR Colorado

Explorer
Thank you! I thought I wouldn't want to leave it white when I first went to check it out, but I love it. And it's a little beat up which matches my truck, ha! Good score from craigslist at the right time for sure... I was getting the window seal replaced at an ARE dealership (Northwest Truck & Auto Accessories) and asked them how much it would be new... $3,295! Made me feel better about what I paid for it.

Awesome on all counts

This thread might give you some ideas on your solar set-up; also wiring up both solar system and house power outlets:
http://forum.expeditionportal.com/threads/127252-2006-1st-Gen-Tundra-Doublecab-Build

Nate_gb

How did you install your charging ports? Are they hooked up to a secondary battery, or to the truck's main battery? I'm wanting to do a solar panel set up, even if small.

CBI makes a group 31 battery tray that fits. They list it for the 3rd gen 4Runner but it fit my first gen tacoma perfectly. I ran a single group 31 battery with my fridge and other minor electrical draws such as charging phones and small electronics and I can go a couple days without my solar hooked up and still start the truck just fine. If the solar is hooked up (100w system) and it's sunny out, the solar will completely replenish the draw from the fridge and I can run indefinitely without running the truck and using the alternator to charge the battery. Hope this helps. You don't need dual batteries to have a solid power setup. I also believe that with the single battery system, there are fewer parts to fail.

motolady

The Road is Calling
Awesome on all counts

This thread might give you some ideas on your solar set-up; also wiring up both solar system and house power outlets

Thanks! Was just really delving into the solar stuff tonight. Will give it a thorough look.

CBI makes a group 31 battery tray that fits. They list it for the 3rd gen 4Runner but it fit my first gen tacoma perfectly. I ran a single group 31 battery with my fridge and other minor electrical draws such as charging phones and small electronics and I can go a couple days without my solar hooked up and still start the truck just fine. If the solar is hooked up (100w system) and it's sunny out, the solar will completely replenish the draw from the fridge and I can run indefinitely without running the truck and using the alternator to charge the battery. Hope this helps. You don't need dual batteries to have a solid power setup. I also believe that with the single battery system, there are fewer parts to fail.

So I read up on the benefits of deep cycle batteries and whatnot, so there's no issue starting the truck off it I take it. I just wonder if I would get myself into a bind where I'm out of solar power, I used my battery, and I can't get anywhere. Perhaps I'm just being a worry wart in that realm.

You're right about less things to break... and also less stuff to buy in the long run!

calicamper

Expedition Leader
Just keep in mind your truck doesn't require much juice to start it. One Group31 deep cycle and a decent sized solar panel on the lid will cover quite a bit regarding power needs. I think if I did lots of trips to out of the way areas the little jump pack battery as a safety backup would be an easy call.

3 seasons with my little solar generator set up on the little tent trailer. I found that portable solar panels even if they are limited to about 12-15ft of cord have been key to placing them in a sunny spot. My set up we only burn 6-8 amps on a really heavy use in 24hr cycle. The little 18amphr battery has been great. The group31 in my sailboat is a beast and paired with a 100-80 watt panel would run some serious gear 24/7.

motolady

The Road is Calling
Just keep in mind your truck doesn't require much juice to start it. One Group31 deep cycle and a decent sized solar panel on the lid will cover quite a bit regarding power needs. I think if I did lots of trips to out of the way areas the little jump pack battery as a safety backup would be an easy call.

3 seasons with my little solar generator set up on the little tent trailer. I found that portable solar panels even if they are limited to about 12-15ft of cord have been key to placing them in a sunny spot. My set up we only burn 6-8 amps on a really heavy use in 24hr cycle. The little 18amphr battery has been great. The group31 in my sailboat is a beast and paired with a 100-80 watt panel would run some serious gear 24/7.

My plan is ≈100W solar panel or panels on the roof. Been comparing and thinking about the foldable "briefcase" style ones which might make it easier to move into a sunny spot when I park & camp in the shade but keep on the roof elsewise. Or the flexible style on the cargo box... there's so many options it's actually pretty overwhelming.

I'd love to know what your heavy use is, using 6-8 amps. Cameras? Phones? Laptops? Mini fridge?

I'll be needing to recharge Sena camera batteries, Fujifilm batteries, cell phone (also my music box haha, however I will often charge this off my truck when driving), macbook pro laptop (research says about 60 watts on that guy), and it would be excellent to be able to have the option of using a crockpot or something in the future. I'd rather build it to do a little more than I need so I don't worry.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
I have about 20ft total of strip led lighting, but that is between 4 switchable locations. Two sections in the tent about 6ft each. Then a tongue box lid with strip lighting on the inside of the lid. Which is nice leave the lid open and that lighting lights up the back of the tow rig or front area of camp.
Then I have a wood dowel with a strip on it that gets put either under the back step or clipped to the tent over the door. Then the atv spot light. When all the led striplights are on they pull about 1.8 amps per hour. The atv is 1 amp. Lighting use per 24hr solar cycle seems to typically burn 3amps per night. We mainly only use the inside lighting the longest.

The 12v charging station two iPhones, and typically a iPad or two and some times the gopro. A heavy charging item list like all the items will push us into the 8 amps burned range. No fridge.. I still use block ice in a Coleman cooler that usually covers us for 4-5 days easy. We don't do enough trips a yr to justify a fridge.

calicamper

Expedition Leader
100 watt panel or say two 80's set up to be set out paired with the group 31 should easily cover what your thinking of using. Assuming your in a ok solar area. Get too far north and the solar gen starts to take a hit. But my 6-8 amp daily need in Northern CA have easily been handled by my two baby 10watt panels. I stayed super small to keep weight down and cost. My whole set up ran me $180 and added about 14lbs to the trailer.

motolady

The Road is Calling
100 watt panel or say two 80's set up to be set out paired with the group 31 should easily cover what your thinking of using. Assuming your in a ok solar area. Get too far north and the solar gen starts to take a hit. But my 6-8 amp daily need in Northern CA have easily been handled by my two baby 10watt panels. I stayed super small to keep weight down and cost. My whole set up ran me $180 and added about 14lbs to the trailer.

Thanks for all the info, appreciate it!

motolady

The Road is Calling
Truck Bed Build Out: Storage & Bed Frame

Banged out the bed / storage frame in the bed of the Purple Prius Eater this week... we didn't have time to finish the side pieces to fill in the edges, but it'll be done sometime next week.

6.5" storage space clearance toward the cab, 8" clearance at the hatch... perfect for the under bed style storage tubs that fold open on both sides. The rear plywood panel (all birch finish style) has rope handles and pulls out so you can get at your stuff without opening the hatch or moving the stuff toward the back of the truck if you don't want to. The larger front piece of plywood is on hinges (and has the corners cut out to clear the hydraulic lifters on the ARE hatch door) so you can lift it up if needed. I've given up on the idea of having a drawer that comes out on rails. A loooot of extra work, materials, and the tub situation will work fine.

I'll be putting in a twin size memory foam mattress that I can fold over on itself easily. Should be 39" wide or less giving me 15-20 inches of space on the other side for cooler and other items, depending on end width of the bed.

PS Oh and by the way! I installed the Spyder Euro style tail lights from Amazon ($87) and they're working (and looking) great!

horizontour-bed-frame-storage-3-1300px.jpg

bed-frame-storage2-1500px.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior