Cat back question....

pmatos

So i went to the shop 2 days ago so they could check the intricate exhaust on Monty and they mechanic does not recommend going up on the size of the pipe. To be honest he was baffled at to why it had 3 cats and a separate resonator and muffler....anyways i finally got my y-pipe tiday and the mechanic noticed it was covered in oil so decided to check it out and ended up quoting me 1734.22 to replace the head gasket, front crankshaft seal, catback (y-pipe) and the head bolt set.

Im at a standstill now searching for the FSM so i can get the torque specs

UPDATE:
Since there is no way in hell i was going to pay this much money for some one to fix my Monty i decided to take matters into my own hands and cleaned (autozone degeaser)the engine top and bottom and got it on jack stands, dried engine and laid u derneath it for 15-20 minutes and just like magic a flow of oil came down from the left side. I dont know where this mechanic got his info but its coming from the rear seal...just what i told him to check in the first place...

Last edited:

cr4x4cruiser

Observer
See my post, along with plenty of others, regarding your oil leaks;

"Tip; Ridding your engine of leaked oil - Post Valve Cover Gasket Replacement"

3.5L SOHC V6:

Very inexpensive to deal with...

If I can do it, you can do it [in your driveway]...

No special tools required...

Patience is the primary tool involved.

Valve Cover Gaskets [rubber] are dried out/ hard as a rock...

Rear Cam Seal O-Rings - ditto...

It's a perfect time to, also;

Flush out cooling system...

Replace Spark Plugs/ Wires...

Replace all vacuum lines/ coolant hoses...

Consider this a $1700 repair bill - w/ a $1500 rebate.

Go for it!

- Wm.

Ever checked these Aussie's out? They sure know how to have fun unlocking the potential of these beasts! I have been quite pleased with an extra horsey here and an extra horsey there considering the high altitude mountains we have out here. They add up.

https://www.rpw.com.au/mitsubishi-challenger-pajero-triton-v6-modification-guide/

There is a section on cold air induction and exhaust system upgrades. They also will respond to your questions.

"The later model vehicles are even more restrictive by there use of up to three cat converters, with one off each cylinder head and a third one further down the line. Needless to say, removal of this system to a more traditional single cat converter has very very large gains in terms of performance."

Now whether your computer will throw a temper tantrum or not is another story.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles