CoastalDefender's build thread

Newest mod-

Wednesday while I'm having my Transmission Flushed, Advantage Nissan in Bremerton is going to advance my timing by 2, from 15 to 17.

Reports are this-
Increased lower-end torque
Increased power
Increased Mileage

I'll let you all know how it goes, and for the record-

My truck all loaded up I only get 17MPG Commute/20MPG Highway. (87 Oct)
My truck stripped of everything except an empty bed-box and my spare I get 18.5MPG Commute/20.5MPG Highway. (87 Oct)

I'll let you all know and update this after I run 3 tanks Commute at 87 Octane, and 3 tanks Commute at 93 Octane.

Oh, and this is all judged by ScanGaugeII.

Creek

Adventurer
do you know the service mgr there? if not, how did you convince them to do the timing bump? I just received my headers and was thinking about doing the timing bump as well, but i'm not so sure the stealership would be willing to do it.

Creek said:
do you know the service mgr there? if not, how did you convince them to do the timing bump? I just received my headers and was thinking about doing the timing bump as well, but i'm not so sure the stealership would be willing to do it.
I called and scheduled an appt for a Transmission Flush, and said "I'd also like to get a 2 degree timing advance, how much is that going to run me?" She replied with "We don't charge if you're actually getting some work done, it only takes a second to do".

And the only way to find out if your local does it is to call and ask.

Creek

Adventurer
wow...good to know...i have to get my tranny and rad flushed anyway. First I have to find a stealership that'll actually work on my rig. Most are scared of it.

Creek said:
wow...good to know...i have to get my tranny and rad flushed anyway. First I have to find a stealership that'll actually work on my rig. Most are scared of it.
$237 for the Tranny, and they used Matic-J, not that cheap generic stuff in the $165 Tranny flush.

2K54X4

Adventurer
Keep us tuned in on the results of the timing bump. I'm due for a tranny flush myself. I might just have to do the timing bump... if you feel it is worth it.

2K54X4 said:
Keep us tuned in on the results of the timing bump. I'm due for a tranny flush myself. I might just have to do the timing bump... if you feel it is worth it.
DO IT.

Running around town all day today and my commute, my Tank Mileage is averaging 19 via ScangaugeII.

I've been hard-pressed to do 16 with the same type running around.

I say do it. Even if it sucks for you (and I can't imagine why it would), you can get it switched back no problemo.

I'm also going to run some race gas in my rig in a few months. I was thinking 5gal 104 Oct + 15gal 92 Oct should give me about 95 Oct and see how the truck handles that. :)

Okay, 3 tanks Premium are done. 19MPG for my commute (hilly, lots of turns), and are you ready?

22MPG highway!!!! I ran at 60MPH the whole way. :) :jump:

The wife and I are most likely getting her an Xterra in the next month or so, so part of the purchase will be to have Service bump her timing up too. :)

2K54X4

Adventurer
Those are great numbers.

Is the fuel mileage any different when you run 87oct.? I only ask because I was told at my altitude (~6900ft.) running higher octane makes no difference. I was running 91 when I first purchased it. Then switched to 87, then to 85, and have noticed no difference in fuel mileage or power between them.

So I guess the question I'm getting to: does the timing bump then require you to run premium?

I'm a self admitted idiot at this stuff...

2K54X4 said:
Those are great numbers.

Is the fuel mileage any different when you run 87oct.? I only ask because I was told at my altitude (~6900ft.) running higher octane makes no difference. I was running 91 when I first purchased it. Then switched to 87, then to 85, and have noticed no difference in fuel mileage or power between them.

So I guess the question I'm getting to: does the timing bump then require you to run premium?

I'm a self admitted idiot at this stuff...
You're NOT required to run premium, but it tends to help.

I'm going to fillup 3 tanks Regular now. I'll let you know how that goes.

2K54X4

Adventurer
I'm already convinced to do it, but I'm curious to see how it does run on regular unleaded.

New Mod!!!

Rear Diff breather extension

Took 7ft of 3/16" fuel line, two hose clamps, a rear diff breather (straight-shot), and an "air stone" (aquarium stores).

The stock "one-way" breather creates a negative pressure in the rear axle and is dangerous in water-crossings. It also gets clogged easily. This is epidemic in both the C200 and M226 axles, as the one-way breather is the same on both.

So I got a straight-shot "breather" from Olympia Nissan, the fuel line from an auto-parts store, and the air-stone for the end of it from a local aquarium store ($.99/2).

Breather- $2.35
7ft 3/16" fuel line- $1.15/ft
Hose Clamps- $.55/ea
AirStone- $.50
Total- $12

However, I did it to both my wife's X w/ an M226 axle, and my Fronty w/ the C200 axle, so the actual cost was like $25. Install was painless and simple on both.

Size 14 metric to take off the original, size 12 metric for the replacement breather. Zip tie enough slack to the fuel line, run the top end up to the rear passenger tail light, stick the airstone on it, and clamp it down. Ta da! Easy as pie.

I could have taken more pics, but did only the one. You can see a lot more pics in this thread- http://thenewx.org/forum/showthread.php?t=54

Breather installed, fuel line, hose clamp.
1008081736ro5.jpg

Well, the battery I ordered showed up today. And with a slight mod, a little bending of metal, and tugging on the negative side of things, I present you a Series 34 to replace a Series 24f.

880CCA
135 RC
68hrs @ 20Amps/hr

1014081420bl4.jpg

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02850034000P

As far as I can tell, this is the same battery as the Odyssey one in the 34 series. Odyssey backs that up via their own statements. Though this cost me only $230 shipped.

Oh, and as I pulled the stock one out there was a BIG bulge on one side, and a "cave" in the other! Holy crap that scared me and I'm happy I bought this when I did. And I wouldn't have known it otherwise because I didn't want to pull the battery twice.

At any rate, I haven't noticed a single difference between this one and the stocky. But the only "suffering" I noticed with the stocky was the extra cranking it took to start in the mornings. So I'll report on that later.

So that's one less thing for me to worry about... for now. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior