Roof design....rain collection or not

Ramdough

Adventurer
All,

I have been looking at different roof designs and I noticed that some can collect rain, but most don't.

It seams to me that not collecting would be easier to not have bad roof leaks, but collecting rain could be useful in some situations.

What does everyone think? Collect rain water or go easier with less likelihood of leaks?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
As you said, leaks are the enemy.

Because of this, Id never create a catch basin for water.

Instead, think about managing the run-off.

Instead of mounting drip rails to the walls, I installed them on the roof, so there is little to no moisture that travels down the sides of the camper
So our camper has been designed to shed ALL moisture off the back of the camper. If I wanted, I could easily attach a gutter of some sort to collect the water.

I also use a silicone roof coating (GACOROOF)
The entire roof is coated, then drip rails are installed, then overcoated with more GACOROOF.

The result is a 100% moisture proof silicone skin that is rated for ponding water and never breaks down in the sun.

A few shots..

chassis284.jpg

chassis303.jpg

ct90rack.jpg

LocoCoyote

World Citizen

Instead of mounting drip rails to the walls, I installed them on the roof, so there is little to no moisture that travels down the sides of the camper
So our camper has been designed to shed ALL moisture off the back of the camper. If I wanted, I could easily attach a gutter of some sort to collect the water.

The entire roof is coated, then drip rails are installed, then overcoated with more GACOROOF.

The result is a 100% moisture proof silicone skin that is rated for ponding water and never breaks down in the sun.

A few shots..

chassis284.jpg

chassis303.jpg

ct90rack.jpg

Interesting and innovative idea

Ramdough

Adventurer

A few shots..

chassis284.jpg

chassis303.jpg

ct90rack.jpg

I have seen your camper in a few threads. Do you mind directing me to your build thread?

I like your suggestions.

Thanks

Kevin108

Explorer
If you guys have leaks, see if this stuff is compatible with your substrate. https://www.geocelusa.com/product/2315lrf-leak-repair-fibered-brushable-coating/ In 15+ years of commercial building maintenance, this is the best stuff I've found. We have ~160 buildings and some 2 million square feet of roofing of every type. This product has stopped intermittent leaks we've battled for years. I will try to remember to post a pic of the label from a can at work. I think you'll find it very interesting.

2315Gallon-543x600.jpg

TernOverland

Supporting Sponsor Ternoverland.com
If you guys have leaks, see if this stuff is compatible with your substrate. https://www.geocelusa.com/product/2315lrf-leak-repair-fibered-brushable-coating/ In 15+ years of commercial building maintenance, this is the best stuff I've found. We have ~160 buildings and some 2 million square feet of roofing of every type. This product has stopped intermittent leaks we've battled for years. I will try to remember to post a pic of the label from a can at work. I think you'll find it very interesting.

2315Gallon-543x600.jpg

What does it look like? Geocel makes excellent sealers for the RV industry. Do they recommend this for RV roofs?

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
While it might be a decent coating, it is the LAST thing I would recommend for this discussion.

Solvent based so it might interact in a bad way with existing coatings/paint, and right in the description says "not for potable water applications"

Gaco roof is the coating you want. 100% silicone. Never degrades, and is about at food safe as you can get in DIY roll/brush applied coating

Kevin108

Explorer
I didn't understand that the collection was for potable water. That definitely makes a difference!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

IdaSHO

IDACAMPER
Well, even with a good coating like GacoRoof, you will still need to, at minimum, filter the water.

Roofs tend to collect all kind of crap. Literally :Wow1:

If I were to collect rain water, Id go with two isolated water systems.

One is for 100% potable water, used for cooking, dishes and drinking.

The other would be rain (or even creek) collected, filtered well, and used for bathing and everything else.

Just some thoughts :)

Ramdough

Adventurer
So far I am on board for not pooling water on the roof. I like the gutter style collection. My roof will be pretty flat.....only a slight bow if anything in the middle to she'd to the sides.

I would need gutters along the entire length, which would have to be substantial just to collect water. Right now I am leaning towards no water collection.

I do like the idea of having two tanks..... one for less purified and one purified for consumption. Probably would have extensive filtering and UV for the drinking water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonaWarrior