Holden Colorado 2.8 half height Canopy build

Hagar

Observer
Got the electrical system bones in on the weekend. Decided to setup the second system as redundant from the vehicle electrics for peace of mind. Consists of 100 amp hour battery and a 110 watt solar panel. Very happy to now be able to use my onboard compressor, just need to wire in the canopy lighting and accessories charging now. That and some neatening up of my current wiring mess....

Solar panel on, leaving room for bikes either side.
DSC_0248.jpg

battery in nice and low but still reasonably accessible
DSC_0253.jpg

Voltage regulator and fuse panel located in the compressor cabinet
DSC_0256.jpg

Off for more testing.... this coming weekend!

Hagar

Observer
Hi Chilli

Cheers!

Still I think 'craftsmanship' may be a little far fetched for my hack together job, still certainly appreciate the sentiment!

Hagar

Hagar

Observer
Had a great weekend away

Hit up some great beaches at Myall Lakes. Pristine deserted beach, score! Also saw a pod of 20+ dolphins surfing through the waves not 20 metres away from us. Amazing creatures.

Lonely truck
IMG_20171029_121510.jpg

Amazing white sand beach
IMG_20171029_121513.jpg

Continue to be very happy with the truck setup as is. The kitchen and food storage has been excellent. The only thing that is on the wish list is a fridge!

Have a top week all

Flhtruss

Observer
Hagar hello there.
Really enjoying your write up. Concept of what you have built shows real foresight, finished results I think are fantastic.
I'm sure your family will get lots of exciting adventures together.

Russ

Hagar

Observer
Thanks for the kind comments Flhtruss

It is great to have everything so organised makes getting away easy and enjoyable not to mention the lack of packing away once you get home.

Munchkins love getting out and about!

22814369_10154920045087256_8662482677392697893_n.jpg

Hagar

Observer
any updates on the truck? gotten to use the setup much?

Hi Rangeredge

Yep have been slack in any updates!

Truck is getting plenty of use. We are getting the family out and about. Takes the four of us plus gear and bikes etc really well. So far no problems with the build at all, which is amazing! Need to do a little electrical work to neaten up my rush job but other than that happy. Bought a tent that has inflatable tent poles. This has been excellent and makes pitching the tent rapid and simple. Back the truck under the awning and I have a covered kitchen area. Works a treat.

Had the truck out on a few mountain bike adventures with the boys as well. So far so good. Just keep forgetting to take photos.

Munchkin feeding zone
camp.jpg

Chilling with mates
camps 1.jpg

Cheers Hagar

Last edited:
Great project! Been reading along from vision to completion.
Awesome job!
Your family is fortunate for your abilities. I'm sure you and your truck will provide as many adventures as you all seek.
Yours is an excellent example of planning and execution resulting in a superb product.
Cheers.

02rangeredge

Adventurer
Hi Rangeredge

Yep have been slack in any updates!

Truck is getting plenty of use. We are getting the family out and about. Takes the four of us plus gear and bikes etc really well. So far no problems with the build at all, which is amazing! Need to do a little electrical work to neaten up my rush job but other than that happy. Bought a tent that has inflatable tent poles. This has been excellent and makes pitching the tent rapid and simple. Back the truck under the awning and I have a covered kitchen area. Works a treat.

Had the truck out on a few mountain bike adventures with the boys as well. So far so good. Just keep forgetting to take photos.

Munchkin feeding zone
View attachment 438085

Chilling with mates
View attachment 438088

Cheers Hagar

who cares about pictures when its getting use, that time is for the friends and family, just send us the updates/ additions and everybody here will be happy enough

mramvas

Hey mate, I can finally view the threads pictures! ha ha! It looks superb, I am considering a fibreglass half height canopy just for something different. Great inspiration mate! Thanks for sharing the build and the final use out and about.

mramvas

Its been a while since I had time to work on the truck canopy. So I managed to set aside a weekend and after much sanding I am finally getting close to having the canopy complete. I need to apply another coat of epoxy to the exterior of the shell and fill the cut out for the hinges. I will then have the canopy professionally sprayed to match the color of the vehicle.

Hatch covers installed

View attachment 414763

The tailgate cover installed. Hinge cut outs will be filled so the hinges are not visible.

View attachment 414764

Kitchen Drawer is also coming along

View attachment 414765

Almost there now, in time for spring down under.

Happy travels all.

Hey mate, what kind of seal did you use for the side hatches?

Hagar

Observer
Hi mramvas

I attached a photo of the side hatch seals. It is a u shaped (pinch weld I believe) seal for the inner and a soft rubber D shape on the hatch cover. To locate the pinch weld seal I used 3mm ply and glued that to the internal side of of the canopy. Purchased U seal from Clark rubber and D seal from bunnings (if your in Oz). Works well so far no leaks. I did make the initial mistake of running the D seal around the entire hatch cover which stopped the water running out at the bottom, once bottom section was removed all good.

Btw: Thanks for your earlier comments only just saw those! Are you running a build thread? keen to watch!

DSC_0452.JPG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles