Anyone going to Overland Expo West? Trail ride?

Hi is anyone planning on taking their G to Overland Expo?

I'm considering driving out from LA. Would like to do some (safe w/ no desert pinstripes. truck is still new to me.) offroading while I'm there. Anyone know of good trails or interested in meeting up?

Thanks!

koly

Observer
Sedona (about 1/2 hr away) has some great trails. About 15 mins out of Flagstaff, you can take Schnebly Hill Road, a beautiful dirt road that descends down into the red rocks of Sedona. Not a trail, per se, but some amazing views.

Once in Sedona, you can hit the fun "Broken Arrow" trail - careful driving and you'll avoid pinstripes. some fun obstacles, and no worries about damage to your G as it's completely do-able in a stock wagen. You can do both Schnebly & broken arrow easily in a day with time to spare in Sedona for a beverage or two.

Another fun play area is the Cinders OHV, on the N end of Sedona. Drive around in huge hills made out of black lava rock, with no worries about pinstriping whatsoever. It's otherworldly on the Cinders. In fact, NASA created their own 'craters' out of the lava gravel and tested the original lunar rovers there.

Las Vegas G

I am going to be out there on Saturday with my G, I am happy to join in on a run with some fellow G's!

I don't worry too much about pin striping. I'll clear the way for you!

Koly, thanks! Do you have any trail recommendations near Cave Creek? I'm still figuring out my plans but hopefully I'll know what's going on by tonight.

koly

Observer
Yes, you can run New River Canyon or Bloody Basin Road down to Sheep's Bridge... both are 'pinstripe-free'

I'd recommend New River Canyon - more scenic, and a great spot to stop for lunch on some giant boulders about midway. You can take the trail either direction - starting at Seven Springs E of Cave Creek, and ending at Table Mesa Rd and the I-17 (or run it in reverse).

I might have a gps file of it somewhere. There's basically only 1 turn you don't want to miss...

newrivercanyon.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles