Single radio for voice and APRS

arz

Adventurer
Want a single radio to handle both voice comms and APRS.

Looking at Yaesu FTM-350 and Kenwood TMD710.

Anything else to look at?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

captadv

Spectator
Yeasu FTM-400 is the current APRS dual bander, the 350 is no longer in production.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

arz

Adventurer
400 is out of my price range. I'm not afraid of used equipment.

87Warrior

GP'er
I have a Kenwood TMV71A which I run with the Mobilnkd TNC for APRS. I operate APRS on the B side and use voice on the A side, simultaneously. Both sides can operate on the same band if desired (which I usually do).

Last edited:

Airmapper

Inactive Member
I'd go with the Kenwood over the Yaesu for APRS. The 700 line is specifically designed for APRS and does it excellently, can utilize all APRS features, and does it correctly. Usually if I see stations sending out gibberish it's not a Kenwood and the user has mucked the settings all up.

I have a 710GA in my truck and it's a very feature rich radio without being horribly complicated to use. I find the user interface very nice despite being more old school.

The suggestion by 87Warrior is also a good one. The V71 is a cheaper radio but basically the same as a D710 minus the TNC head. (You can actually retrofit the D710 TNC head on them I believe) The downside is you MUST have a mobile device to complete the hardware needed to run APRS. With the D710 it is fully functional as a stand alone unit. The upside to using a mobile device is better situational awareness of having stations plotted on a real map though.

C-Fish

Adventurer
The Kenwood 710 radios are solid. I find them easier to navigate than the Yaesu line, I've had both.

Currently have one 710D in each vehicle. The only issue is going to be finding an external GPS unit solution for the older non-G units as the Green Light Labs unit is NLA (I did find a backup unit on eBay a few years ago though).

Chris Boyd

Explorer
Another vote for the 710. The new 710G have GPS built into the head unit and can do voice/APRS out the box with nothing else required.

Probably why the GreenLightLabs is NLA... tho it's what I'm running. Glad I bought a second for spares!

tgreening

Expedition Leader
Guess I'm the lone dissenter. I don't have experience with the Yaesu 350 because it was already out of production when I started looking, but it was what I started looking for. I ended up buying the 400 and I've been perfectly happy with it. Menu navigation isn't bad once you get used to it but I'll admit it seems a bit clunky.

I've not used the Kenwoods but I do know they have a solid rep in the APRS line up so you'd be hard pressed to go wrong there, but I've been a pretty solid Yaesu or Icom fan-boy, though the 400 is my first Yaesu mobile. I usually run along the lines of Yaesu HTs and Icom mobiles, but this Yaesu won out for its APRS mobile. It's been awhile now so I don't remember details but for whatever reason I had at the time the Kenwoods just didn't do it for me.

For full blown APRS abilities my vote is for the 710. For years I ran an Icom 2720 with tnc and a laptop. Long since discontinued. It is a dual band dual receive allowing me to run two frequencies on the same band at the same time. Only time I ever had problems doing this was when I was receiving a conversation and APRS transmitted a position report it would mute the other frequency. The 710 is a very versatile APRS/Voice radio. It may not have the best receiver but its' feature set puts it at the top of the list for APRS/Voice.

I am speaking from older experience with AvMap. Do not know if current model has navigation but older models did not so if you want navigation then you need another mapping device for that. I felt like it was somewhat redundant.

Well surprise me!! Briefly looking at the newest model it does appear it will give you turn by turn navigation as well. So they does make it a possible option. Most do not know that APRS position reports are handled as Waypoints. So it is possible to use with Byonics Tiny Trak 4 so that any radio could be used with AvMap and Tiny Trak. I may have to dig out my old Icom 2720. I have several Byonics Tiny Trak 3 as a tracking devices and they work very well.

Comanche Scott

Expedition Leader
Want a single radio to handle both voice comms and APRS.

Looking at Yaesu FTM-350 and Kenwood TMD710.

Anything else to look at?

If you are good with used, here is a good web site to keep your eye on.
https://swap.qth.com/index.php

Lots of great radios for APRS. For your first one, it might be worthwhile to spend a bit more, and get one that is really popular. It will be much easier for others to help answer questions, and reduce the frustration level at your end.
Good luck with your choice. :beer:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Randy Towles